• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Ethernet cabling installation cost in London area

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Ethernet cabling installation cost in London area

I'm thinking of getting Ethernet sockets installed in my two bedroom flat in London.

I don't fancy doing it myself as I could only run the cables externally from room to room along skirting boards and door frames and I may have to drill peices of door frame in order to run the cable through so the door actually shuts properly.

Does anyone know of a reputable ethernet domestic cabling firm in and around the London area that could actually do an installation with proper wall sockets for ethernet. I'll want a quote which comes to my second questio how much you reckon it will cost ? £900 or so ?

thanks for any advice.

I just dont have a clue about how to guide cables through wall sockets or drilling holes into skirting boards for wall sockets.

Also I am using power over Ethernet and its not working very well I was getting speeds of up to 5Mb (which is tulip) whereas if I plugged it direct into my router I was getting 44Mb with Virgin XXL broadband.
    Last edited by eliquant; 14 November 2009, 08:39.

So who's going to ask the obvious question?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      I'm thinking of getting Ethernet sockets installed in my two bedroom flat in London.

I don't fancy doing it myself as I could only run the cables externally from room to room along skirting boards and door frames and I may have to drill peices of door frame in order to run the cable through so the door actually shuts properly.

Does anyone know of a reputable ethernet domestic cabling firm in and around the London area that could actually do an installation with proper wall sockets for ethernet. I'll want a quote which comes to my second questio how much you reckon it will cost ? £900 or so ?

thanks for any advice.

I just dont have a clue about how to guide cables through wall sockets or drilling holes into skirting boards for wall sockets.

Also I am using power over Ethernet and its not working very well I was getting speeds of up to 5Mb (which is tulip) whereas if I plugged it direct into my router I was getting 44Mb with Virgin XXL broadband.
      Hmm, makes me wonder if your powerline adapters are set up right, I get close to 100Mb/s out of mine and the wiring is far from new over multiple floors.
      Chasing cables into walls, making good and fitting proper sockets won't be cheap.

Comment

Why dont you simply get a wireless repeater or two- 30-50 quid each, installed in less than an hour, no need to knock your flat around??

Commercial cabling costs around 40 pounds per point. Pick one out of the yellow pages. Usually in a domestic dwelling cables are installed under the floor boards where possible.

PZZ

Comment

Surely the company that is supplying the webcam hosting will do this for you.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I got an electrician to Cat 6 cable my entire house - some can do that. You'll need to phone around. I got one from yellow pages in Surrey. Can PM him the name/number if you want - he may carry out work in the London area.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

A search for 'devolo' on here returns quite a few people who have used the ring main to extend their network.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                So who's going to ask the obvious question?
                I will!

How much is your flat worth?

Churchill - In "Daily Mail" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  I got an electrician to Cat 6 cable my entire house - some can do that. You'll need to phone around. I got one from yellow pages in Surrey. Can PM him the name/number if you want - he may carry out work in the London area.
                  Make sure the installer in conversant with Cat 6 network installation - for example a household electrician may not know to keep the twists in the pairs going for as long as possible before connecting to the terminals, may run cables around tight corners etc.
                  Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
                    Make sure the installer in conversant with Cat 6 network installation - for example a household electrician may not know to keep the twists in the pairs going for as long as possible before connecting to the terminals, may run cables around tight corners etc.
                    Good point, forgot to mention that.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X