• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best the greatest? No way!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best the greatest? No way!

Take all this stuff with a pinch of tear-fuelled, nostalgic salt. Great player yes, but not the greatest.

Seeing all the old videos recently, I've seen little to compare with Maradona's great moments.

Furthermore, in their widely-publicised poll in 2001, Man United fans didn't even vote him the best United player ever.

George Best will be the greatest footballer ever for a few weeks, then the world will return to normal and it will be back to Maradona or Pele, or perhaps someone else.

Depends which one dies next I suppose.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

In terms of 'the greatest', Di Stefano is nearly always overlooked. I'd say Maradona was the best (and Madonna had/has a fantastic pair of charlies - better than Madona's?).

I think a fairer comparision in terms of ability would be Best/Cruyff.
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

only last week, roy keane was the greatest united player ever. so they ALL said on tv, I heard it from at least 5 top manu people + others on sky sports including frank stapleton.

Comment

To add another name to the mix...
          Originally posted by stackpole
          Furthermore, in their widely-publicised poll in 2001, Man United fans didn't even vote him the best United player ever.
          ...I think the fans voted for Eric Cantona.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            To add another name to the mix...

...I think the fans voted for Eric Cantona.
            Correct.

In a couple of years time it will be Wayne Rooney.

Comment

George Best was rubbish
              Last edited by benn0; 29 November 2005, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by benn0
                Who said that?

Comment

Just being sarcastic. I only saw Best play once, in Bryan Robson's testimonial and at that stage he was gone. However, people tell me he that some of the things he did with a football defied belief. The problem is that a lot of games in those days just weren't televised so footage doesn't exist.

Maradona and Pele have both have gone on record to say Best was one of, if not THE, greatest. Pele in particular played at the same time so I respect his opinion more than that of a load of teenagers and twenty somethings who probably only started supporting United in the early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole

George Best will be the greatest footballer ever for a few weeks, then the world will return to normal and it will be back to Maradona or Pele, or perhaps someone else.

BennO is right. Stackpole are you by any chance just a young wipper snapper?
                    I am lucky enough to remember watching George on the ol' black an white with my Grandad...and belive me he was the best. Pele was a great player and a gentleman...Maradonna was great in flashes and as a flawed Genius a cheating bar-steward. Best was a natural genius..and if he had played for England and not Northern Ireland....well

Comment

Working...
                    X