• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Back Rent Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Back Rent Expenses

I work in London but live in Manchester

I commute down here every week and stay at my brothers flat who I pay rent too.

Can I claim this as expenses?

We agreed on 4k a year rent so he does not have to declare it and there is no tax to pay

Is this legal?

Course its legal. He in turn is disclosing this extra income to HMRC, isnt he?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Course its legal. He in turn is disclosing this extra income to HMRC, isnt he?
      Well no because you can rent a room for 4k and not declare this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ome/DG_4017804

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
        Well no because you can rent a room for 4k and not declare this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ome/DG_4017804
        You've linked to a website which contains all the information you need so why are you still asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          You've linked to a website which contains all the information you need so why are you still asking?
          To be fair, that link only answers the question from his brother's point of view - not his own.

But as Bolshie said, it's legal - as long as you meet all the normal criteria of a business expense for travelling to a temporary workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            To be fair, that link only answers the question from his brother's point of view - not his own.

But as Bolshie said, it's legal - as long as you meet all the normal criteria of a business expense for travelling to a temporary workplace.
            I am truly suprised this is legal

Why is nt everyone saying there main home is in Scotland (at a friend) and they are commuting to London (and lodging again at afriend)

Would allow you to expense 5K at least

Comment

Why is nt everyone saying there main home is in Scotland (at a friend) and they are commuting to London (and lodging again at afriend)

Just to repeat what I said ---as long as you meet all the normal criteria of a business expense for travelling to a temporary workplace.

"Saying" your home is in Scotland and lodging in London falls well short of that.

Comment

Er because you have actually got to be able to show your home is in Scotland and the scenario you quote isnt the same as stated in the original post.

If you are stupid enough to make such a claim, be sure you can prove to HMRC (and your accountant if you have one) that you are actually doing this.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

THEIR, there has a completely different meaning...

It's completely legal and proper when it's the truth, if you lie and gain a tax benefit that you're not entitled to then that's Tax Evasion and a criminal offence.
                  Quite simple really, people who value their freedom and don't want a criminal record wouldn't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Er because you have actually got to be able to show your home is in Scotland and the scenario you quote isnt the same as stated in the original post.

If you are stupid enough to make such a claim, be sure you can prove to HMRC (and your accountant if you have one) that you are actually doing this.
                    Hmm - So this scenario would not work then?

My main home is in Scotland (I live at address X in a houseshare- a friend will vouch for this)

My home during the week is in London where I lodge at a place (again perfectly reasonable and can be confirmed)

I claim 5K for second home lodging plus all the expenses of travelling by car up and down the motorway

Comment

Working...
                    X