• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL - That's the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL - That's the future

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-350-000.html

Oh Dear ™

There's me thinking the economy is sorted.

A heroic misrepresentation of the facts.

Best bit is:

Just weeks ago Mr Wilson issued a bleak warning to his fellow landlords: 'We are reasonably safe, I think."

Comment

• Interest rates historically very, very low
      • Whole financial apparatus of the State geared towards propping up property values
      • Bank of England printing money
      • Poor tenancy laws and the primacy of ownership (landlordship) in English law

and...

they still fail.

End of an era.

Comment

This couple were very good at the 'maths' bit and spotting the potential of BTL properties but not so good at reading the market and knowing when to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          This couple were very good at the 'maths' bit and spotting the potential of BTL properties but not so good at reading the market and knowing when to sell.
          They bought alot in the 90s which was good as prices were below the long term trend line (undervalued). Then in the early 2000s prices became over valued and they should have stopped adding to the portfolio then.
          They were just too greedy and believed that prices only ever go up.

Comment

I'd have thought it was a non-story considering they started buying properties back in 1985.

I once rented a bedsit in Maidstone and the landlord had a bit of a property empire, but it wasn't the couple in that news article. The house was full of people speaking foreign, even way back then.

Comment

The couple announced in September they planned to sell off their property empire of up to 900 homes as 'the time is right for us to go'.

They value the 177 properties with Mortgage Express at £34.4million, but independent valuations say this is on the high side.

So they own 900 homes, 177 are mortgaged, 723 presumably owned outright? The Mail is unclear on this.

If so, the worst case is they sell all the mortgaged houses, if some of these are in negative equity then sell a few more of their owned houses. This leaves them a stock of over 700 houses with no debt attached.

I'd happily trade places with them.
              Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I'd have thought it was a non-story considering they started buying properties back in 1985.
                Yeah but they have been extracting equity to buy more and more all the way until 2008.
                And they have fixed rate mortgages so probably havent been helped much by the recent interest rate cuts.

Comment

Racehorse fanatic Mr Wilson, 61, says he is an innocent victim of the postal strike.

Unusually, he pays his mortgage by cheque - and says the money has been delayed in the post.
                  Not much of an imagination though. He could at least have said his dog ate the cheques.

I also notice his mrs is wearing a burburry dress FFS. You can't buy class even with £180M

Comment

Meanwhile, anti-capitalist militant CWU members probably say he is a guilty victim of the postal strike.

Comment

Working...
                    X