• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has CGI ruined cinema?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has CGI ruined cinema?

I caught the last Die Hard on TV the other week, Was expecting some mindless nonesense that would be mildly entertaining. In the previous films, they were a bit daft but within the realms of possibility. Many of the films relying on stunt men with a few special effects. However, the latest film used so much CGI it was almost like watching a Tom and Jerry cartoon. It seems Mr Willis doesn't die hard these days more that he is an indestructable super human. He can jump onto a fighter Jet and jump off as it's crashing, he can get alsorts of heavy machinery thrown at him and remain unscathed.

http://www.videosift.com/video/John-...-40-Full-Scene

Not to mention Indiana Jones can escape nuclear explosions by flying through the air in an old Fridge.

IMHO CGI has ruined many modern action/adventure films. OK, Lord of the Rings, Sci-Fi etc it makes sense, but films supposedly based in the real world need some sort of credibility and film makers need to credit the audience with some sort of inteligence.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 November 2009, 17:57.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Aye, I saw that clip and was likewise impressed by his ability to bring down a fighter plane.

Damn, reminds me. I meant to pick up some 3D specs from Sainsbury for 3D week next week.

Comment

No.

CGI, if used in moderation and/or context, can be great.

It is Directors who don't know how or when (and when not) to use it that are the problem.
      Last edited by Clippy; 14 November 2009, 17:51. Reason: know

Comment

Very poor year for films this year.

Comment

Clippy, that is kind of what I am saying, they don't seem to know when to use it, so it gets used in films that don't need it (much) and ruins the whole film.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I rather enjoyed that Die Hard film. It gave me ideas as to what I can do with my bench time!
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I wouldn't say CGI has ruined cinema, but undoubtedly it's overused in many cases and has spoiled some films.

Comment

The last star wars was a bit of a joke, sure you got to see full landscapes of futuristic alien cities but so many scenes would have been 2 actors running around on a blue set, I kind of think the actors lost the sense of context and it showed.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  The last star wars was a bit of a joke, sure you got to see full landscapes of futuristic alien cities but so many scenes would have been 2 actors running around on a blue set, I kind of think the actors lost the sense of context and it showed.
                  FWIW, the last Star Wars was a cartoon. They generally have a lot of CGI in them these days.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

As ever, poor application of technology is no answer to the problem.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X