• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People who talk too much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who talk too much

People that you love dearly, but do rabbit on and on. I visited my mother today. With the wife and kids. She is full of her new puppy and seemed in good spirits. The thing was, when it came time to go I was so worn down it showed on my face a bit I think. Felt bad. My brain hurts.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I know what you mean.

I had to install a fax machine to a site last week.

(And before anyone comments, I see fax machines are part of the whole ICT thing. I also get asked to set up mobile phones, scanners, cameras as well. I don't mind. If they wanted a shelf put up, I'd do that as well. After all, I'm being paid for my time, so what do I care?)

Got to site. Meeted and greeted and shown to room with old machine.

Unboxed and installed new machine. Set it up, tested it, etc.

Then asked the users to watch how to load paper, send a fax, etc.

Me : Right, the paper goes..
    User 1 : Is it like the old machine, where the paper goes upright ?
    Me : No. As I was about to demonst..
    User 2 : Does it speed dial ?
    Me : Yes. I'll show you that in a moment, now, you load the paper...
    User 1 : Which way do you load the paper ?
    Me : I'm sorry ?
    User 1 : Which way to load, when sending a fax ?
    Me : I'm currently showing you how to load the blank paper in the tray at the bott..
    User 2 : Can we send a test fax ?
    Me : Yes, in a minute. After I have shown you how..
    User 1 : So you can load blank paper where ?
    Me : Here. In this tray. See ? And..
    User 2 : I haven't got time for training.
    Me : Well, you need to know how to use it. It's quite easy when..
    User 1 : Oh, that's the phone. Back in a moment..

I couldn't get a word in edgeways with these 2 mature ladies. Everytime I went to explain something, they interrupted with valid questions, but not appropriate to the specific part of the training.

When they came back after 10 minutes, and I started all over again, the same thing happened.

So I just went silent.

They carried on wittering for another minute, before realising that I wasn't talking.

They looked confused, then the penny dropped.

I then continued my training, and they sat quietly for the next 10 minutes.

Perfect.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      I know what you mean.

I had to install a fax machine to a site last week.

(And before anyone comments, I see fax machines are part of the whole ICT thing. I also get asked to set up mobile phones, scanners, cameras as well. I don't mind. If they wanted a shelf put up, I'd do that as well. After all, I'm being paid for my time, so what do I care?)

Got to site. Meeted and greeted and shown to room with old machine.

Unboxed and installed new machine. Set it up, tested it, etc.

Then asked the users to watch how to load paper, send a fax, etc.

Me : Right, the paper goes..
      User 1 : Is it like the old machine, where the paper goes upright ?
      Me : No. As I was about to demonst..
      User 2 : Does it speed dial ?
      Me : Yes. I'll show you that in a moment, now, you load the paper...
      User 1 : Which way do you load the paper ?
      Me : I'm sorry ?
      User 1 : Which way to load, when sending a fax ?
      Me : I'm currently showing you how to load the blank paper in the tray at the bott..
      User 2 : Can we send a test fax ?
      Me : Yes, in a minute. After I have shown you how..
      User 1 : So you can load blank paper where ?
      Me : Here. In this tray. See ? And..
      User 2 : I haven't got time for training.
      Me : Well, you need to know how to use it. It's quite easy when..
      User 1 : Oh, that's the phone. Back in a moment..

I couldn't get a word in edgeways with these 2 mature ladies. Everytime I went to explain something, they interrupted with valid questions, but not appropriate to the specific part of the training.

When they came back after 10 minutes, and I started all over again, the same thing happened.

So I just went silent.

They carried on wittering for another minute, before realising that I wasn't talking.

They looked confused, then the penny dropped.

I then continued my training, and they sat quietly for the next 10 minutes.

Perfect.
      Mature ladies do like a natter.

Sounds like you were very patient.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Sounds like you were very patient.
        It took a lot that day, for sure !
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

In work, I have no problem with that at all. I see "engaging with the user", "understanding the business" and "capturing risks and issues" as all valid work activities.

Hence I just be polite and every so often mentally multiply the number of minutes I have been listening by my rate. When you're on 80p to £1 per minute, it is easy to listen to someone witter on about last night's shopping trip to Sainsbury's for 20 minutes.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            In work, I have no problem with that at all. I see "engaging with the user", "understanding the business" and "capturing risks and issues" as all valid work activities.

Hence I just be polite and every so often mentally multiply the number of minutes I have been listening by my rate. When you're on 80p to £1 per minute, it is easy to listen to someone witter on about last night's shopping trip to Sainsbury's for 20 minutes.
            which is fine if you are charging by the minute or hour.
            when working a "professional day" all that time just gets added on to the end of the day when the rest of the day's work has to be completed.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

well done that man, I use the same technique.

Current favourite is my dev lead who likes to gas on about his iPhone, which I quite enjoy, as I have one too. tick tick tick....

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                well done that man, I use the same technique.

Current favourite is my dev lead who likes to gas on about his iPhone, which I quite enjoy, as I have one too. tick tick tick....
                He's probably checking out a new app that allows him to track the amount of time you've spent listening to him and then challenge your invoices on that basis

Comment

Perhaps the two mature ladies were hoping to keep you there in the hope of getting a "Diet coke" moment in the lift?
                  Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                    Perhaps the two mature ladies were hoping to keep you there in the hope of getting a "Diet coke" moment in the lift?
                    Young Man!!
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X