PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who

suityou01
15th November 2009, 18:35
7pm BBC1. Looks a bit naff tbh. Monsters dripping with water in Centerparcs or something. Let's hope Im wrong. I do like a good episode of Dr Who.

Off to polish me Tardis. :D

Zippy
15th November 2009, 19:02
Watching now SY01

Doggy Styles
15th November 2009, 20:00
He's gone a bit mental.

Nice to see the cameo from the Dalek.

Zippy
15th November 2009, 20:03
I thought it was rather good.

HairyArsedBloke
15th November 2009, 20:03
He's gone a bit mental.

Yeah.

I think it was very good and got better towards the end.

suityou01
15th November 2009, 20:10
Yeah.

I think it was very good and got better towards the end.

Tugs at the old mental strings dunnit.

V Good. Well done Auntie. :laugh

Zippy
15th November 2009, 20:11
Let's not do spoilers for those who haven't/can't see it yet.

TheFaQQer
15th November 2009, 20:35
Let's not do spoilers for those who haven't/can't see it yet.

Ta - we've recorded it, but have to watch last night's Strictly first.

NotAllThere
15th November 2009, 20:35
If you're reading this thread before watching the repeat - tough.

This is where Russel T Davies really shows where his talent lies - story telling. When the doc is walking away, you KNOW you've got another 30 mins to go, so that can't be it, but the pathos is phenomenal. You get all the emotion of that kind of ending, hoping he'll do something. But when he does, it all goes horribly wrong. And he ends up taking more guilt, because he's responsible for her death.

Better than the last two episodes. Way better. ( I've one child declaring she'll never shower again, and another who wants the light on tonight ).

Christmas looks promising.

AlfredJPruffock
15th November 2009, 20:37
Incredible to reflect that a show which started way back in the early 60s , in fact the first episode being broadcast the day after President Kennedys assination - continues to fascinate in its unique way - well done the BBC !

Good to hear the positive comments - NotAtAllTheres commentary I found superb - ending with another cameo - though not a Dalek this time - but kids terrified by watching Dr Who .

Just as I was as a terrified five year hiding from black-and-white Daleks behind a sofa somewhere in time in a Scotch Sitting Room .

Listen - Time is passing

Gold Dalek
15th November 2009, 20:48
Or time to return will come soon

AlfredJPruffock
15th November 2009, 20:56
Our time to return will come soon

Time - is not what you think it is.

centurian
15th November 2009, 21:02
..you KNOW you've got another 30 mins to go, so that can't be it,

In my mind, I was thinking it was a 45 minute episode, so thought the ending was close and he was going to back to the Tardis and watch the fireworks.

Agreed it was a great episode. First 10 mins were a bit ropey, but excellent after that.

NotAllThere
15th November 2009, 21:27
The idea that bunch of people who'd fit in well with the cast of Eastenders could actually found the first colony on Mars, is just one of the many flaws. So few of them is another one. And which were the breeding pairs? The captain was too old. But I do remember GBH... :tongue

Gonzo
15th November 2009, 21:44
Let's not do spoilers for those who haven't/can't see it yet.It will get shown over here but by that time I will have forgotton anything I read on here about it.

d000hg
15th November 2009, 22:10
Nice they resist the temptation to make it more kid-friendly, which has spoiled loads of potentially great films.

TwinGoldDaleks
15th November 2009, 22:16
Or time to return will come soonFor we are legion.

VectraMan
15th November 2009, 22:24
I managed to watch about 5 minutes, before Sky+ informed me I'd have to miss either Ray Mears or a Simpsons episode I'd seen a hundred times before and I decided Dr Who wasn't even worth that.

It's a bit puzzling. The BBC obviously put some effort and money into it, and the writing isn't that bad, at least not for a British TV show, but why oh why oh why have they hired somebody who couldn't even carry off a children's nativity play in the lead role? He's unbeleivable terrible, and ever since his first episode I haven't been able to watch simply because of bloody David Tenant.

I thought they'd killed him off (thank God), but here he is back again. I was almost looking forward to giving Dr Who another chance with a new bloke.

:tantrum:

A shed load of Daleks
15th November 2009, 22:28
For we are legion....and our numbers grow by the day

Doggy Styles
15th November 2009, 22:31
...why oh why oh why have they hired somebody who couldn't even carry off a children's nativity play in the lead role? He's unbeleivable terrible, and ever since his first episode I haven't been able to watch simply because of bloody David Tenant.One good thing about him is that he isn't Christopher Northern-Lefty-And-Don't-We-Know-It Ecclestone.

My favourite was the one who played cricket. William Hartnell was supposed to have been good though.

malvolio
15th November 2009, 23:13
You guys have never seen Tennant on stage....

Here's an exercise for you. Without moving, see if you can express the range of emotions he did standing there watching the colonists working to save themselves and knowing he had to walk away and leave them. It is ******** hard to do it as naturally as he managed.

Hartnell was OK in a Victorian mad scientist kind of a way, Troughton evolved the character to bring out the mild insanity of the Doctor. Those two, like Tennant, were classical actors: most of the rest played it not very seriously. Tom Baker was the ultimate, until Tennant came along. I can't really choose between them

d000hg
16th November 2009, 07:56
Tennant is a great Doctor. Whimsical and eccentric, yet serious and with a deep sadness. Anyone can do one side, but few can do both.

cojak
16th November 2009, 08:12
Tennant is a great Doctor. Whimsical and eccentric, yet serious and with a deep sadness. Anyone can do one side, but few can do both.

In the space of 5 mins we saw regret, sadness, horror, anguish, madness, realisation, guilt, fear (the way he scuttled into the Tardis and quickly shut the door behind him...)

Good one..

VectraMan
16th November 2009, 10:47
Here's an exercise for you. Without moving, see if you can express the range of emotions he did standing there watching the colonists working to save themselves and knowing he had to walk away and leave them. It is frolicking hard to do it as naturally as he managed.

He doesn't do anything naturally. It's like he's following the Acting for Dummies book. You can imagine the director shouting "David look concerened" - Tenant pulls a concerned face. "Look happy" - pulls stupid grin face. "Look contrite" - he doesn't know what that means so he goes for trademark stupid grin plus wild staring eyes.

Being able to pull 10 different faces in a minute does not a believable performance make.

Diestl
16th November 2009, 11:05
Utter crap

oracleslave
16th November 2009, 11:06
Utter crap

Never watched an episode but I suspect I might have the same opinion if I did.

TimberWolf
16th November 2009, 11:13
I saw it, but rated it closer to OK than outstanding. Great for kids I expect though. Tenant was on the Graham Norton show last week and seems to be an intelligent guy, although I can't really see the logic in giving up a role like Dr Who.

cailin maith
16th November 2009, 11:18
I quite enjoyed it - not looking forward to the new Doctor though - I like David Tennant.

TimberWolf
16th November 2009, 11:22
Type casting.

What happened to the last Dr Who? I can't even remember his name.

Tarquin Farquhar
16th November 2009, 11:22
I thought that the depth of the script, and the quality of Tennant's acting, easily surpassed the critical faculties of many of this board.

BrilloPad
16th November 2009, 11:47
7pm BBC1. Looks a bit naff tbh. Monsters dripping with water in Centerparcs or something. Let's hope Im wrong. I do like a good episode of Dr Who.

Off to polish me Tardis. :D

Gave my son a nightmare. Hes supposed to be banned from Dr Who. But I wanted to see if he was up to it. Hes not.

TimberWolf
16th November 2009, 12:05
Doctor who (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/nov/16/doctor-spiked-drinks-pregnant-lover-jailed) spiked pregnant lover's drinks jailed. He even looks a bit like Tennent.

Pogle
16th November 2009, 12:55
Hmm, I found it a bit odd and was feeling short changed about half way through - then the ending made up for all of it.
I think I prefer the Doctor when he has a companion with him.
Rather good, but much as I adore DT am looking forward to seeing what the new chap will be like.

Oh and Pogle Jr was scared of the shower too! I had to stand in the bathroom to make sure she was OK :o

DimPrawn
16th November 2009, 13:37
Oh and Pogle Jr was scared of the shower too! :o

So is HAB by the sounds of it.