• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency changing from weekly to monthly payments - HELP!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency changing from weekly to monthly payments - HELP!

<placeholder for now>
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    <placeholder for now>

Don't the know context but it made me laugh..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Don't the know context but it made me laugh..
      Should have put the link in.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I've heard tell that even if an Agency try to impose monthly on you, that you can stil insist on weekly. Is this true? nalE currently won't budge on this even though I KNOW they have a weekly payroll!!
        Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
          I've heard tell that even if an Agency try to impose monthly on you, that you can stil insist on weekly. Is this true? nalE currently won't budge on this even though I KNOW they have a weekly payroll!!
          Of course you can. One agent tried this with me, said it was now pollicy yadda yadda, and I said I'd leave. The following week when they didn't budge, I handed in my notice to them and informed the client. 2 hours later, sorted.

Comment

You have a contract with the agency. That contract will detail what the payment terms are. Negotiate with the agency before you sign the contract - you can't insist on payment terms, but you could walk away if the payment terms are not what you want.

It's a contract negotiation, so negotiate.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Also, FWIW, an agency will ALWAYS try to pay you on the longest possible terms. That's the nature of managing your cashflow.

Clients want to pay on the longest terms. Suppliers want to get paid on the shortest terms. The key to a successful business is managing this.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

but you could walk away if the payment terms are not what you want.
                The question I am interested in is how many people are just voicing their annoyance to change and would be easier for them just to put up with it and who really cannot accept these terms and are willing to go down this route?

Will this strategy not back fire on some people, they say fair enough and let you walk? Must be good opportunity for agents to strip some dead wood and fill with cheaper/better people? Risky strategy or does it neve fail?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The question I am interested in is how many people are just voicing their annoyance to change and would be easier for them just to put up with it and who really cannot accept these terms and are willing to go down this route?

Will this strategy not back fire on some people, they say fair enough and let you walk? Must be good opportunity for agents to strip some dead wood and fill with cheaper/better people? Risky strategy or does it neve fail?
                  There are two different points of change being discussed in different threads - either (a) agency is try to change mid-contract or (b) I want weekly, agency wants monthly, but I haven't started yet (which is how I read Mephisto's post in this thread).

(a) - if the agency is trying to change payment terms mid-contract (and is forcing it through), then WORRY. The agency can't pay it's bills. I would refuse, flag it to someone at the client, and start looking. I would not be extending my exposure any further.

If the agency can manage the client well enough to run the risk of losing contractors and replacing them easily, then they might well pursue this strategy. But it's a risky one for the agency to take.

(b) - depends on their credit rating. I'm not that fussed, to be honest, as long as I think that I will get paid.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I know someone in this situation ..

Agency has tried to switch to monthly payment without notice.

A face to face meeting with the "CEO" of the agency has led to a compromise agreement .. whereby a transition period was agreed, during which invoices would still be raised and paid bi-weekly. This was confirmed later by email.

Agency has not met the first deadline during this transition period - should the LTD companies involved insist on setting a credit limit to restrict their exposure?

Any precedents/war stories? The agency and management team behind it have been through insolvency/liquidation before. Ideally the LTD companies would want to provide services through a different member of the end client PSL, but this may be difficult to achieve due to the restrictions in the current contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X