• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I missed out £5k from my SA, what should i do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed out £5k from my SA, what should i do?

Hi,

My Company Financial year runs jan - Dec

I have just submitted my Self Assesment online(i.e. 2008-09) and then realised that I missed off about £5000 which took in January09. At that point I had an oustanding £4000 Directors Loan from previous financial Year which was later paid in Jul09.

What canI do to resolve the problem?

Cheers
    css_jay99

Have a word with your accountant (that's what you pay them for after all).

Or you could just listen to us...

(WARNAA etc, etc...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Return

You could resubmit online as an amended return. Deadline for online submissions is still January

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
        You could resubmit online as an amended return. Deadline for online submissions is still January
        cheers,

ok Ive recalculated and it now says I need to make an 2nd installment payment by 31st Jul!. Do i need to make that 2nd payment. why the heck do i have to pay tax on something i have not even taken yet!

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
          cheers,

ok Ive recalculated and it now says I need to make an 2nd installment payment by 31st Jul!. Do i need to make that 2nd payment. why the heck do i have to pay tax on something i have not even taken yet!

css_jay99
          Payment on account.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Payment on account.
            do i need to pay it!?

I've just checked on the hmrc web and it looks like I can make a claim to reduce the amount. assuming i asked for zero payment on account, what happens next year if there needs to be a payment on account
            Last edited by css_jay99; 16 November 2009, 15:55.

Comment

do i need to pay it!?

I've just checked on the hmrc web and it looks like I can make a claim to reduce the amount. assuming i asked for zero payment on account, what happens next year if there needs to be a payment on account

If you have received a tax bill with payments on account and you think that your income for the next year will be therefore less tax being owed, you can apply to have the payments on account reduced. If you use on-line filing you can make an application on the Government Gateway. If you do not then you need to complete from SA303 and send to HMRC. If it is found that later you owed more tax than you have paid on account, interest will be chargeable and penalties may be applied.

Penalties and Interest

Any balancing payments for the previous year that have not been paid by 31st January will be charged a daily interest of 3.5% (applicable January 2009) plus an automatic 5% surcharge. If this still has not been paid by the second payment date of 31st July a further 5% surcharge will be added.

Where a self-assessment return is filed after the deadline an automatic surcharge will be charged of £100. If you leave filing your return until 31st January 2010 and should have paid tax by that date you will get an automatic 5% surcharge and daily interest of 3.5%.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
                If it is found that later you owed more tax than you have paid on account, interest will be chargeable and penalties may be applied.
                I'm not so clear about this part above.

Extra tax for me to pay (for 2008/09) by 31st Jan is £2212. It also shows that i need to make a 2nd payment of £1106 by 31stJul (Thiefs!)

Tax owed for 08/09 is £2212 ,so how the heck can i know have an idea of what approximate value of my tax will be for FY09/10?. how is a penalty justified on income not earned

css_jay99

Comment

Tax owed for 08/09 is £2212 ,so how the heck can i know have an idea of what approximate value of my tax will be for FY09/10?. how is a penalty justified on income not earned
                  Basically, if in the year 2009/10 your income will be less then 2008/09 then you know that the tax you are paying on account will be too much.

To calculate your tax take your gross salary less £6475 personal allowance 2009/10 x 20% tax and then if you have dividend income that took (will take) you over £37,400, an additional 22.5% tax is chargeable on anything above £37,400.

HMRC have the power to issue penalties, it does not necessarily mean that they will. However interest charges will apply.
                  I think that they use the power where a tax bill has deliberately been reduced when it shouldn't have been

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
                    Basically, if in the year 2009/10 your income will be less then 2008/09 then you know that the tax you are paying on account will be too much.

To calculate your tax take your gross salary less £6475 personal allowance 2009/10 x 20% tax and then if you have dividend income that took (will take) you over £37,400, an additional 22.5% tax is chargeable on anything above £37,400.

HMRC have the power to issue penalties, it does not necessarily mean that they will. However interest charges will apply.
                    I think that they use the power where a tax bill has deliberately been reduced when it shouldn't have been

now understood, looks like i have to pay that extra in july. As if they dont screw us enough!

cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X