PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear

HairyArsedBloke
16th November 2009, 12:21
Telegraph: City lawyer fired after police kept record of her 'innocent' arrest (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6563877/City-lawyer-fired-after-police-kept-record-of-her-innocent-arrest.html)

A City lawyer, Lorraine Elliott, was fired from a £150,000-a-year job working on a Government contract after a vetting check showed that she had been wrongly accused of forging a signature on her daughter’s nursery application form.

Mrs Elliott, 42, had her details logged on the police national computer after she was wrongly accused by her estranged husband of signing his name on the form.

She was arrested but cleared within 24 hours, and checks at the school found no evidence of wrongdoing. However, officers kept details of her arrest – effectively giving her a record.

Mrs Elliott disclosed yesterday how the “black mark” caused her to fail a security check and cost her a job working on the National Identity Card scheme.

The mother of three, from Tenterden, Kent, said the arrest had potentially ruined her 25-year career. “It’s infuriating that details about me and my arrest are still retained on the police computer system for all to see despite the fact that I was never charged because there was no evidence,” she said.

“The fact of the matter is that all the time those details are up there, I cannot get a job. It is impossible to find work in a profession that requires ultimate honesty, discretion and reliability when there is a black mark next to your name.

“I am so angry that I am considering suing the Government for loss of earnings.”

Mrs Elliot had been due to start work on a dispute resolution and arbitration project concerning the National Identity Card scheme. She was told she would be subject to mandatory “security check clearance”, which is carried out for posts involving access to secret assets and top secret material. But in the meantime she was arrested over the nursery school application.

She was taken to her local police station where she was photographed and had her fingerprints and DNA taken.

She strenuously denied fraud by misrepresentation and the next day, after challenging the police to provide evidence, was told there would be no charges. The fee-paying Montessori school corroborated Mrs Elliott’s account.

She was sent a letter by police saying she had no case to answer and that “no further action” would be taken.

But after she returned from holiday in September she was called to a meeting with bosses and told that her “record” had surfaced and her position was now “untenable”.

“I was devastated,” she said. “There were no grounds for appeal — I was out.”

:suicide:

DimPrawn
16th November 2009, 12:47
We are all guilty under New Labour. It's just we might not have committed the crime yet or the laws have yet to be amended.

SuperZ
16th November 2009, 12:50
She might have been guilty, just because there was no evidence to convict her doesn`t mean....... :)

DVA probably frown more on fraud and similar activity than others. And she hasn`t said if she received a warning or anything, if she had then it would probably (but not always) be on the PNC for a period of time. If not I think they can still record the issue in case she does something similar again in which case this record raises the probability of her being a fraudster. These usually expire after a year. I would place a small amount of money on her receiving a warning or caution, hence the record on the PNC.

BrilloPad
16th November 2009, 12:53
In cases like these I think the estranged husband should share some of the blame.

TheFaQQer
16th November 2009, 12:56
She's not that good as a lawyer, if she hasn't got the record cleared.

I'm surprised that they told her why she had failed the check - usually it's just a case of being turned down, from what little I know.

Moscow Mule
16th November 2009, 12:57
We are all guilty under New Labour. It's just we might not have committed the crime yet or the laws have yet to be amended.

1 in 5 of the working population already have a criminal record...

Peoplesoft bloke
16th November 2009, 13:06
Has this clueless bint no concept of the irony? Typical hard of thinking lawyer. She's moaning because she couln't get a job on a scheme designed to bring exactly this kind of misery to all of us? I have less than zero sympathy.

Moscow Mule
16th November 2009, 13:08
test

please delete?

Spacecadet
16th November 2009, 13:10
Mrs Elliott disclosed yesterday how the “black mark” caused her to fail a security check and cost her a job working on the National Identity Card scheme.

Oh the irony!

Tarquin Farquhar
16th November 2009, 13:11
It is a normal procedure for innocent people to be arrested. Charging and trial are what separates them from the guilty.

So judging anything from th fact that someone has been arrested is quite wrong: not just as a matter of justice but as a matter of fact and understanding.

Peoplesoft bloke
16th November 2009, 13:14
please delete?oops - fixed it now

HairyArsedBloke
16th November 2009, 13:18
Aye, the irony made I larf too.

However, the point remains that just being suspected of a crime, even though found innocent of any wrong doing, is now grounds for denying someone their livelihood.

At this rate, we will have to ship in Bobs clones by the container load because nobody in the UK will be allowed to work.

Spacecadet
16th November 2009, 13:19
Aye, the irony made I larf too.

However, the point remains that just being suspected of a crime, even though found innocent of any wrong doing, is now grounds for denying someone their livelihood.

At this rate, we will have to ship in Bobs clones by the container load because nobody in the UK will be allowed to work.

Luckily CRB checks will be completely useless at finding what naughties foreign nationals might have got up to allowing 100% of the bob clones to work on the system.

George Parr
16th November 2009, 13:30
The irony here is that SC clearance is supposed to weed out those who may be open to bribery and corruption .

But now, all a potential enemy of the state has to do is approach an employee and say, 'hey, tell me all the secrets or I'll make up some tulip about you and have you arrested, then you'll lose your clearance and your job'.

Paddy
16th November 2009, 13:35
Luckily CRB checks will be completely useless at finding what naughties foreign nationals might have got up to allowing 100% of the bob clones to work on the system.

It would be funny if it wasn’t true. I had to wait three weeks for CRB to come through for a contract at Chase. On my first day I was working with two Australians who claimed they started straight away because they could not be CRB checked,

Spacecadet
16th November 2009, 13:37
It would be funny if it wasn’t true. I had to wait three weeks for CRB to come through for a contract at Chase. On my first day I was working with two Australians who claimed they started straight away because they could not be CRB checked,

Indeed, The problem has already been highlighted when foreign nationals have been CRB checked prior to working with children.
Name changes also mess up the system.
In fact, all you need to do to clear your record is move to a different part of the country and change your name.

EternalOptimist
16th November 2009, 13:51
Name changes also mess up the system.
In fact, all you need to do to clear your record is move to a different part of the country and change your name.

If only that were true. I changed my Name to Harold Shipman and moved to Manchester and Can I fck get a job in the NHS.

:rolleyes:

threaded
16th November 2009, 14:05
When you have clearance, any conversations with the Police have to be reported ASAP. It would appear she failed to do this. When the appropriate department gets wind of it they will call you to an interview. They will skirt around the question, to give you a fair chance if you just forgot, and then bluntly ask you and gauge your reaction. I suspect that is why her clearance was revoked, and how she knows what the reason was.

HTH

TheFaQQer
16th November 2009, 14:14
If only that were true. I changed my Name to Harold Shipman and moved to Manchester and Can I fck get a job in the NHS.

:rolleyes:

:rollin:

TheFaQQer
16th November 2009, 14:15
She was probably sacked for being a whingy girl who was likely to run to the press if anything didn't go her way.

Peoplesoft bloke
16th November 2009, 19:47
When you have clearance, any conversations with the Police have to be reported ASAP. It would appear she failed to do this. When the appropriate department gets wind of it they will call you to an interview. They will skirt around the question, to give you a fair chance if you just forgot, and then bluntly ask you and gauge your reaction. I suspect that is why her clearance was revoked, and how she knows what the reason was.

HTH
To clarify - what level of clearance makes this stipulation and what sort of conversation? The Fash stopped to look at my car once when I was behind the hedge having a slash - they took name and address details from me and did a vehicle/person check. I held SC but none of it was ever mentioned. They weren't accusing me of anything or telling me off though (I hadn't done anything wrong).

Tingles
16th November 2009, 20:09
To clarify - what level of clearance makes this stipulation and what sort of conversation? The Fash stopped to look at my car once when I was behind the hedge having a slash - they took name and address details from me and did a vehicle/person check. I held SC but none of it was ever mentioned. They weren't accusing me of anything or telling me off though (I hadn't done anything wrong).

Public slashing is an offence....

thunderlizard
16th November 2009, 21:43
Montessori school

The real reason for a dismissal is always there if you look hard enough.

Moscow Mule
16th November 2009, 22:15
Public slashing is an offence....

Not necessarily. Often it's against local byelaws, but it isn't an offence in itself.

Tingles
16th November 2009, 22:23
Not necessarily. Often it's against local byelaws, but it isn't an offence in itself.

I know someone who got done for it....

Moscow Mule
16th November 2009, 22:29

Prob Section 5 Public order act rather than a specific offence of pissing in the street...

threaded
17th November 2009, 08:38

And they often get put on the sex offenders register too! :spank:

Peoplesoft bloke
17th November 2009, 09:23
so Threaded, no answer then, just an off topic debate about whether me having a slash out of sight of anyone behind a hedge in the middle of nowhere was illegal or not - great. In that case I doubt the veracity of your previous claim.

the_duderama
17th November 2009, 09:50
How does she know why she didn't get cleared? I thought you weren't told why you failed, just that you weren't getting the clearance.

I find it hard to beleive that she was denied SC due something as trival as that. I suspect her or the mail have just done some digging, found the record of the arrest, and then assumed that was the cause.

Peoplesoft bloke
17th November 2009, 12:32
How does she know why she didn't get cleared? I thought you weren't told why you failed, just that you weren't getting the clearance.

I find it hard to beleive that she was denied SC due something as trival as that. I suspect her or the mail have just done some digging, found the record of the arrest, and then assumed that was the cause.Good point / question - that was what I was trying to ask Threded since he seemed to be claiming some knowledge

NotAllThere
17th November 2009, 12:50

She got arrested though.

So, if you've SC and get arrested then let go, tell your security office immediately.

OwlHoot
17th November 2009, 12:53
And they often get put on the sex offenders register too! :spank:

Especially if they were riding a bike at the time. :sick