• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas party expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas party expenses

Yes - I have done a search and read the 100s of posts on the above subject...

But still confused about what constitutes a "party".

If I go out with my friends for a meal, can I count this meal as my party and claim back my share of it? Or does it have to be a designated party for company employee (and guest) only?

Thanks!

That time of year again........!!

Comment

Company employees only.

When big firms have parties with partners (guest) allowed, they have to disallow the proportion that relates to the partner.

Comment

Going on from what Maslins has said, there also has to be a minimum of 2 employees and the party has to be 'open' for all to attend!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          Company employees only.

When big firms have parties with partners (guest) allowed, they have to disallow the proportion that relates to the partner.
          Bollocks.

Here's the 2007 thread - http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...mas-party.html

And here's the HMRC document.

Originally posted by HMRC
          The cost of the function includes VAT and the cost of transport and/or overnight accommodation if these are provided to enable employees to attend. Divide the total cost of each function by the total number of people ( including non-employees) who attend in order to arrive at the cost per head.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
            Going on from what Maslins has said, there also has to be a minimum of 2 employees and the party has to be 'open' for all to attend!
            Where is the "minimum of 2 employees" stipulated? I can't see anything in EIM21690 about it, or has that been superseded by more recent guidance?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Where is the "minimum of 2 employees" stipulated? I can't see anything in EIM21690 about it, or has that been superseded by more recent guidance?
              No you are correct, it is not stipulated...

However, if you then read this guide EIM21691

In addition the directors hold an annual party at Christmas for its directors at which the cost per head is £75. This function is not open to staff other than directors. Consequently it is not covered by the exemption because it is not available to staff generally. The full benefit is chargeable on directors attending.
              My interpretation is that if you the director and sole employee, if you have no other employees to 'invite', then the expense is disallowed.

It would be interesting to read how others interpret this!

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
                My interpretation is that if you the director and sole employee, if you have no other employees to 'invite', then the expense is disallowed.

It would be interesting to read how others interpret this!
                My interpretation is that you have invited all the employees, therefore it would be allowed. It's only if you have a "directors only" party and don't invite the hoi polloi that you can't claim it.

IANAA
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Ho hum...

I have just phoned the Tax office and asked the question.
                  They didn't know the answer and have passed it on to a technical inspector.

They will call me back with an answer, which I will post.

Don't hold your breath!

Comment

That Technical Inspector will want to see ALL your returns for the last 5 years and my guess is you'll end up being allowed this but assessed for IR35..

good luck
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X