• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mass Polish immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Polish immigration

I have moved to Luton (someone has to) and quite often when I walk round town, or the local supermarket, the language I hear spoken most is Polish. I was mushroom picking in West Sussex and Bedfordshire, and the woods were crawling with Polish families out picking mushrooms. According to R4 ~300K Poles came to the UK in the last year. Estate agents tell me that the letting market is kept afloat by Poles.

So, anyone still wonder why the housing market has not collapsed? Obviously the housing market is kept afloat by demand, in large part due to the massive immigration.

So why is this issue not being talked about anywhere? I recall that when the Tories mentioned it, Labour called them racists, and the tag stuck. Why? Labour predicted that no more than a few thousand Poles would immigrate. Maybe the other parties are useless.

At least there's no shortage of plumbers. Or Polish bread.

Fungus.

First of all I have met quite a few Polish people here in Brussels and without exception they are fine people; intelligent and industrious, perhaps they enjoy their vodka a tad but are never agressive.

You too are now free to go and work and live in Poland ; not that you are likely to be able to save much for a rainy day; they are paid I think on average 50p per hour.

Dont forget the tremendous courage shown by the Poles in the resistance against the Nazis; let them come to Europe and Britain for that matter; I welcome them.

Comment

No problem with Polish people coming to live and work in the UK. They are perfectly entitled to, and they are in the main industrious and hardworking, do the jobs many "natives" don't want to or can't do, and unlike certain other immigrant groups aren't continually banging on about their rights or trying to transform the UK into Little Poland.

Besides, I like Wybrowa vodka and Polish sausages.

Comment

I'm with Alfred on this.

The ones I telephone interviewed for my old company seemed exceptionally talented. Plus they also did a lot for UK during WWII, so I've no problems with 'em

Comment

Indeed, they work, they don't blow themselves up, and their children won't burn cars at night, seems fine

Comment

We need more Polish. On my car for a start.

As long as the fecking French don't come here I'm happy.

Comment

My ex was a Pole and that's plenty reason to keep them out. Not a pole dancer, unfortunately.

Besides, Russian vodka is the best, along with Russian women, Russian bears and Russian pencils. You can never have enough pencils. Keeps your shirt nice and stiff.
              Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

"The only problem with the Poles is that I don't have enough of them" -- Winston Churchill.

PS ATW is it true that Russian princes used to go to Poland to look for a bride, because the Polish girls were so famously pretty?

Comment

Doubt that - marriages were arranged mainly for political reasons, a prince could sh*g any girl he wanted, anyway

Comment

I have no objection to Poles per se but it's the numbers that concern me. 300K in 1 year is a lot.

It seems to me that we have unlimited immigration, and that the government are ignoring this. We should at least determine what effect this will have. It might be beneficial (unless you hunt mushrooms, grrr) but it might cause problems. Who are these people? What do they do? How long do they stay, or are they permanent? What age are they? Do they claim benefit. (Apparently they don't, which is a plus point.) It might be that most are young, work hard, and leave after a few years of honest work.

The idea that they flew Spitfires and hence we like them is amusing. It didn't stop us selling them down the Swanny and giving Poland to Russia.

I'm sure most are decent but many aren't.

Some years back I rented a room in a house. There were two Poles who left the kitchen in a disgusting state, and made so much noise I suffered psychiatric symptoms from sleep loss until I moved out. Several friends shared flats with Eastern Europeans and had a lot of problems. One lot were drug dealers and two others treated another friend as a way to reduce the rent but wouldn't let him use the kitchen and sitting room so he moved out. In fact everyone I know who has dealt with recent Eastern European immigrants has had trouble. Maybe you lot don't see any of this!

It's possible most work hard and benefit the economy. On the other hand look at Israel. They've serious problems with Eastern European crime gangs. (According to an Israeli colleague.)

I guess you lot all own a house and need decent plumbers, electricians.

Leif

Comment

Working...
                    X