• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

***Urgent help***

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***Urgent help***

I need to pay my accountant for year end tax but I closed my business account as they started charging!

Can I (or is it recommended) that I pay this through my personal account or open up a new accoount?

Thanks

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
    I need to pay my accountant for year end tax but I closed my business account as they started charging!

Can I (or is it recommended) that I pay this through my personal account or open up a new accoount?

Thanks
    Why would you close your business account without a new one in place?

You thought about asking your accountant...?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Is your company still trading, or intending to? If so it will need a company bank account.

Was there any money transferred to your personal account when you closed the company account....meaning you owe the company?
      Technically, your company is a legal entity in it's own right and must have it's own bank account.

We have not come across this situation before and it would be good to see what others think...

I wonder, if it was a final tax payment....would HMRC care where the money has come from so long as it was paid?
      I bet they wouldn't, but the Companies Act probably would.

I would advise that you open a new account. Cater Allen offer free banking!

Comment

Actually I had the opposite problem in the past.

Had ltd and company bank account.

Closed ltd and company bank account, HMR&C gave the nod and all was closed.

Some months later they sent a cheque to me in the ltd companies name as a tax refund.

Ended up throwing the cheque in the bin. Couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Comment

Plan is to a close limted company down as taken a salaried job.

The account had been inactive since August, so account did advise to close company amd nove cash to personal account.

The first year accounts are done, and final accounts are prepared as we speak.

So if I was to pay using personal account, what would the implications be?

Comment

So if I was to pay using personal account, what would the implications be?
            The honest answer is, I don't know.

However if the accounts are all correct and the money that you have transferred to your personal account is accounted for correctly, in as much as distributed by a dividend or capital distribution under ESC C16, then I don't think HMRC would object.

Maybe it would be wise to phone your tax office and ask (all counts to due diligence as the call will be logged)

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
              Technically, your company is a legal entity in it's own right and must have it's own bank account.
              Can you point me to the legislation or rules that say this or is this just opinion? Reason being I do have a claim against a limited company that banks on behalf of another “unrelated” company. So far the IR has said there is nothing wrong with them doing that.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                The simple answer: yes of course you can pay it off from your personal account. You can spend your money on whatever you like.

No implications, unless you want to get yourself in a tizz about paying it out of personal taxed income when with a bit more foresight you could have paid it out of company turnover. But the hassle of unraveling that won't be worth the extra tax.
                To be fair, it sounds like the OP's accountant gave poor advice:

The account had been inactive since August, so account did advise to close company amd nove cash to personal account.

Comment

Originally posted by thelurker View Post

Thanks
                  Pay the accountant. Trouser the rest.

HTH
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

ah...clippy has quoted a post that I just deleted! I misread the question and thought it was an accountant's bill, not a tax bill (either way it's a sign you've got a shoddy accountant). Although I think my point still stands, if it's a big company tax bill, the personal tax implication on top might make it worth unravelling.

Comment

Working...
                    X