PDA

View Full Version : Which rowing machine

milanbenes
16th November 2009, 20:19
evening all,

having bought a very nice high end running machine earlier this year,
I'm planning to get a rowing machine

started reading a bit about them... for the last ten minutes and narrowed the search down to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-Fitness-AR700-Rowing-Machine/dp/B001RGS3QE

or one of these, I guess one of the cheaper ones...

http://www.concept2shop.co.uk/category/indoor_rower_package_d

does anybody have, or regularly use a rowing maching and can give some tips on which one to go for

thanks,

Milan.

thunderlizard
16th November 2009, 20:21
Proper rowers always go for Concept
(well they did 9 years ago when I was last a proper rower).

oracleslave
16th November 2009, 20:21
evening all,

having bought a very nice high end running machine earlier this year,
I'm planning to get a rowing machine

started reading a bit about them... for the last ten minutes and narrowed the search down to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-Fitness-AR700-Rowing-Machine/dp/B001RGS3QE

or one of these, I guess one of the cheaper ones...

http://www.concept2shop.co.uk/category/indoor_rower_package_d

does anybody have, or regularly use a rowing maching and can give some tips on which one to go for

thanks,

Milan.

Why blow the brats inheritance on an unsightly pos that'll just gather dust in the garage :confused:

milanbenes
16th November 2009, 20:25
oracle slave, this is not in the garage, this is fitness room :wink

you think we live in a link detached mock tudor rabbit hutch ?

thunderlizard, I knew you would be suitably qualified to answer

you bring <SwitchToEssexBoyMode> a touch of class <EndOfEssexBoyMode> to ContractorUK forums

Milan.

DimPrawn
16th November 2009, 20:31
you bring <SwitchToEssexBoyMode> a touch of class <EndOfEssexBoyMode> to ContractorUK forums

Milan.

:laugh

How about a virtual swim in your virtual swimming pool?

Toolpusher
16th November 2009, 20:36
Find an old scull (http://www.quarrell.demon.co.uk/oldscull.jpg) and build your own.......

scotspine
16th November 2009, 20:53
waterrower are not bad.

linky (http://www.waterrower.com/)

milanbenes
16th November 2009, 20:55
ja Dim, the pool is still virtual, as I've said before, with two infants, I am not comfortable to have a pool in the garden, when they are a little older, if funds permit then the pool with be promoted from virtualisation to realisation

stones and glass houses,

remind me again, what exchange rate you got when you converted the euros from the sale of your house in Cyprus into GBP :rollin:

back to the subject in hand,

anyone else know anything about rowing machines ?

ta

Milan.

voodooflux
16th November 2009, 20:58

WHS - these are still highly regarded I believe, and a lot of gyms have Concept kit (certainly Virgin Active).

milanbenes
16th November 2009, 20:59
evening Scotspine,

thank you for the tip

I'll dig more into that one, looks interesting

how are Software to the Gentry doing ?

I'm surviving on the .Net crust

all the best

Milan.

jim2406
16th November 2009, 20:59
Definately definately definately get a concept 2. It'll last forever, and you get what you pay for.

FWIW I have a home gym in my garage that I spent ages (and lots of money) putting together. Concept 2 is the next purchase.

I got a reconditioned bike from here http://www.healthclubsathome.com/ - it's great and is working happily after 3 years - assume their ex-gym concept 2s are of similar quality.

Olly
16th November 2009, 21:24
if there is something better than concept2 out there it's worth looking at I reckon as the one they have in the gym where I go seems to have too much slack before the catch...I think they all do.

can you getting sculling machines now??.....now that would be cool.
they had one at school, vastly complicated, always broken and crap even when it did work

sculling is much nicer though

scooterscot
16th November 2009, 22:05

WHS - Concept 2 is what you want

milanbenes
17th November 2009, 07:16
hmmm thanks folks,

we have 4 votes for the concept2

and one saying that concept2....

'if there is something better than concept2 out there it's worth looking at I reckon as the one they have in the gym where I go seems to have too much slack before the catch...I think they all do.'

hmmm what to do, this is not small money for such a toy and when I get one I want it to be good

thanks,

Milan.

threaded
17th November 2009, 07:42
I use a WaterRower (http://www.waterrower.com/). I have tried others but this is the closest to the real feeling. It is supposed to be easy to store etc. but I have a rather large house so it's not a problem to me. Though I have noticed it is much easier to move about and position than others. I have it linked up to a computer and a big screen so I can race others on the net, or more usually, the fitness games one can buy. I like to row up Mont Ventoux. Silly, but it gives me pleasure.

Remember you'll need a couple of fans as well, and put a big towel underneath you when you're using it to save the carpet from sweat. (It doesn't leak, but when people see the towel they often assume it does)

OwlHoot
17th November 2009, 08:20
Definately definately definately get a concept 2. It'll last forever, and you get what you pay for. ...

Normally I don't bother, but three times in a row is too blatant to ignore!

:spel definitely definitely definitely

milanbenes
17th November 2009, 08:29
threaded, thanks,

there are only solid oak floors in this house so no worries about carpets

also the room where this stuff is is big enough so no need for a folding model

decisions decisions

Milan.

threaded
17th November 2009, 08:33
threaded, thanks,

there are only solid oak floors in this house so no worries about carpets

also the room where this stuff is is big enough so no need for a folding model

decisions decisions

Milan.

The nice thing about the WaterRower is you can get it in wood and the same colour of oak to match the floor. Well, you used to anyways, so best check.

Mich the Tester
17th November 2009, 09:29
concept2

scotspine
17th November 2009, 09:54
morning milan. it's good to see you're thinking ahead and looking to acquire the adonis look for next season at the beach.

software to the gentry is doing well thanks and nice to hear that your plan b is proving profitable.

.net is the future.

Mich the Tester
17th November 2009, 10:05
Reason I say concept2 is this; a rowing machine will get you very fit very quickly if you follow the training plans on the manufacturer's website. When you get fit and strong, you will put a lot of strain on the machine, so if you're not an old granny you'll need a pretty heavy duty piece of kit. Concept2 rowers have no rope, but a metal chain. If you have a rope, it will wear out within a few months and it's a pain in the arse trying to repair it. Don't believe the shopkeeper who says 'this is a super strong rope and nobody's ever broken one'; I broke two in two months. The whole construction is industrial strength, and unlike the cheaper rowers with big plastic covers over the wheel, it's designed to be maintained easily; it has to be as it's used in gyms all day every day by everyone from old fatties to seriously strong athletes who give the machine as much punishment as they can.

The only person I know of who's ever been capable of breaking a concept2 is the old England rugby player and present naughty theatrical conman Dean Richards. But he is possibly one of the strongest men who ever lived, and anyone who played against him will tell you that.

Look at the people who train with them; Steve Redgrave, Matthew Pinsent, ALL professional rugby clubs in England, in other words some very strong fit people and the list goes on.

milanbenes
17th November 2009, 12:45
hi all,

ok thanks for the info

concept 2 it is then

I guess the sinple old rule applies, buy the most expensive one you can afford what ?

when I was at poly, these things were called ergo's anyone remember those ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Moscow Mule
17th November 2009, 12:53
when I was at poly, these things were called ergo's anyone remember those ?

They are still called ergos. From ergometer. Which is what they are.

thunderlizard
17th November 2009, 13:19
Yes, ergos are what they are called in the trade.
Or if you think you can get away with it, ergs.
Ahh, the smell of dust, sweat and floor polish and the Concept2's gentle lowing. Such fond memories

Jolly boating weather,
hay harvest breeze

sasguru
17th November 2009, 13:35
milan,

Your extreme lardiness can only be cured by restricting your potato intake, rather than purchasing a white elephant, that, as the OP has pointed out, will only gather dust.

HTH

Olly
17th November 2009, 13:35
still have a little bit of free play at the catch :tongue

milanbenes
17th November 2009, 13:39
Sas,

i have a very nice running machine (high end model) which is used three times a week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, the plan was always to get a rower to work also on the upper body in between the running

you are correct the goal is to reduce the lard :-)

are you gonna get another portacabin in the garden and use it as a gym ?

all the best,

Milan.

sasguru
17th November 2009, 13:44
are you gonna get another portacabin in the garden and use it as a gym ?

all the best,

Milan, one day you may be able to afford the latest in garden offices.
And no, I have no reason to buy these working class gym machines, as my aristocratic lineage means I am genetically gifted and remain tall and lean regardless of what I eat.

HTH

thunderlizard
17th November 2009, 13:46
still have a little bit of free play at the catch :tongue

are you sure the slack is in the erg and not in your body?

milanbenes
17th November 2009, 13:47
Sas,

that is one of the best come backs you have made,

'as my aristocratic lineage means I am genetically gifted and remain tall and lean regardless of what I eat'

good job

keep it up

Milan.

sasguru
17th November 2009, 13:49
Merely describing the actualite, old bean.

EternalOptimist
17th November 2009, 13:49
my aristocratic lineage

:eek:

Lord pipecleaner has spoken

Mich the Tester
17th November 2009, 13:52
Milan, one day you may be able to afford the latest in garden offices.
And no, I have no reason to buy these working class gym machines, as my aristocratic lineage means I am genetically gifted and remain tall and lean regardless of what I eat.

HTH:spel Prussian inbred

Shimano105
17th November 2009, 18:52
My non-cycle shed solution:

2nd hand Schwinn spinning bike from eBay - £80
scaffold pole for pull-ups - free

the rest is just floor exercises

Olly
17th November 2009, 20:14
are you sure the slack is in the erg and not in your body?

I'll have you know I got silver in the national champs in a quad......when I was 15

ahem..yes..I could have a bit of freeplay in the old upper body :P

It's actually ok if you came forward a bit more slowly and work with the machine. anyway...point in question, personally I don't know of any better and in the past have used a sheeeeeed load worse, so concept 2 it is.

Actually had a go on one where you fill big perspex tank with water. and use half an oar..what a mess....it looked home made (or at least some lunatic idea of the CDT teacher or A level design kid perhaps)

Toolpusher
17th November 2009, 20:19
I'll have you know I got silver in the national champs in a quad......when I was 15I still have a certificate from primary school for taking first place in the Boys Under-10 Bean Bag Race! :banana:

d000hg
17th November 2009, 21:29
Concept2 is what rowers train on, gyms often have them used 12 hours a day and they appear to last years under that level of punishment from huge rower types.

thunderlizard
18th November 2009, 09:11
I'll have you know I got silver in the national champs in a quad......when I was 15
Grand so!
as an ex-coach I knew by commenting on technique by text I was on a hiding to nowhere, but couldn't resist "sticking my oar in" as it were. As long as you've got some idea what you should be doing!
Just looking back fondly on the days when I used to be coaching some ballerina-like lightweight girl, while the straining Mr Universe on the next ergo along was splitting a good way higher.

Never heard of the half-oar contraption. The 8-man rowing tank underneath one of the Putney boathouses was great for living out my Ben Hur fantasies though. And if you went out of the room for a minute, you'd get back and the lads had been mucking about and there was more water on the crew & walls than in the tank.

scotspine
18th November 2009, 09:14
Grand so!
as an ex-coach I knew by commenting on technique by text I was on a hiding to nowhere, but couldn't resist "sticking my oar in" as it were. As long as you've got some idea what you should be doing!
Just looking back fondly on the days when I used to be coaching some ballerina-like lightweight girl, while the straining Mr Universe on the next ergo along was splitting a good way higher.

Never heard of the half-oar contraption. The 8-man rowing tank underneath one of the Putney boathouses was great for living out my Ben Hur fantasies though. And if you went out of the room for a minute, you'd get back and the lads had been mucking about and there was more water on the crew & walls than in the tank.

this must be rowing-speak :eek

thunderlizard
18th November 2009, 09:18
That barely scratched the surface of rowing-speak! I ought to tell you all about "catching crabs", which isn't what it sounds like but can be just as embarrassing.

Olly
18th November 2009, 11:11
That barely scratched the surface of rowing-speak! I ought to tell you all about "catching crabs", which isn't what it sounds like but can be just as embarrassing.

knuckles of my left hand are still scarred (was more of a skuller). River lee (or is it lea) in east london certainly made cuts nice and icky.

to be fair, schoolboy rowing is not particularly advanced as there's not much competition.