PDA

View Full Version : BBC announces timetable for Freeview HD signal availability

TimberWolf
17th November 2009, 10:20
Today [yesterday] the BBC has confirmed the timetable that will make HD services on Freeview available to 50% of the population in time for next June's World Cup, and to 98.5% [1] of the population by the end of digital switchover in three years' time.

Freeview HD receivers (set-top boxes, digital television recorders and integrated televisions) will be available from early 2010.

From January 2010, viewers will be able to use the Freeview website to find out when HD services will be available at their postcode.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/11_november/16/freeview.shtml:yay:

I'd recently bought a PVR too :frown

VectraMan
17th November 2009, 10:55
The HD ad thingie on Sky 1 SD is getting really annoying.

I really want the aspect ratio of my picture to change so they can tell me to retune to channel 170.

The really annoying thing is that there's no reason in the world why you need to "retune" to 170. 106 should just be Sky One HD if you have an HD box.:mad:

I wonder how many people will bother with Freeview HD when they realise they need a new box, even if their fancy new telly has Freeview built in? Or more likely most people will think they're getting HD when they won't be.

Platypus
17th November 2009, 11:16
Or more likely most people will think they're getting HD when they won't be.

You mean like the 90% of peeps with a 1080p telly and no HD sources !

TimberWolf
17th November 2009, 11:26

:wave:

[Well, I've only 720p actually, but same in principle. I wonder if I could stream HD stuff from the internet to the TV, once HD stuff appears in cyberspace. Last time I looked there wasn't much free stuff on offer].

threaded
17th November 2009, 11:28
We had the big switch over here the other day, and lots of the new digital channels are HD.

TimberWolf
17th November 2009, 11:52
We had the big switch over here the other day, and lots of the new digital channels are HD.

Have people got the equipment to view it, in general? Or are they being sold stuff that won't work, like here.

threaded
17th November 2009, 12:03
Have people got the equipment to view it, in general? Or are they being sold stuff that won't work, like here.

There was a bit of a rush to buy set-top-boxes on the first day, and the media tried to inflate it, but no real problems.

BoredBloke
17th November 2009, 12:09

I'm in the other 10%

chef
17th November 2009, 12:10
anyone know if a hauppage internal tv card can be used with german tv?

threaded
17th November 2009, 12:58
anyone know if a hauppage internal tv card can be used with german tv?

Yes, in one of the set up screens you say you're going to be watching TV in Germany and it will do a lot of the other settings automagically.

chef
17th November 2009, 16:27
Yes, in one of the set up screens you say you're going to be watching TV in Germany and it will do a lot of the other settings automagically.

woohooo :yay:

FarmerPalmer
18th November 2009, 11:14
looks like the only one available at the moment (and none in stock).

http://www.leconcepts.com/products/vivanco-dvb-t2-2.html

I'll wait for Hauppauge, hopefully nearer the time.