• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC announces timetable for Freeview HD signal availability

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC announces timetable for Freeview HD signal availability

Today [yesterday] the BBC has confirmed the timetable that will make HD services on Freeview available to 50% of the population in time for next June's World Cup, and to 98.5% [1] of the population by the end of digital switchover in three years' time.

Freeview HD receivers (set-top boxes, digital television recorders and integrated televisions) will be available from early 2010.

From January 2010, viewers will be able to use the Freeview website to find out when HD services will be available at their postcode.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...freeview.shtml

I'd recently bought a PVR too

Originally posted by zeitghost
    The HD ad thingie on Sky 1 SD is getting really annoying.

I really want the aspect ratio of my picture to change so they can tell me to retune to channel 170.
    The really annoying thing is that there's no reason in the world why you need to "retune" to 170. 106 should just be Sky One HD if you have an HD box.

I wonder how many people will bother with Freeview HD when they realise they need a new box, even if their fancy new telly has Freeview built in? Or more likely most people will think they're getting HD when they won't be.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Or more likely most people will think they're getting HD when they won't be.
      You mean like the 90% of peeps with a 1080p telly and no HD sources !

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

[Well, I've only 720p actually, but same in principle. I wonder if I could stream HD stuff from the internet to the TV, once HD stuff appears in cyberspace. Last time I looked there wasn't much free stuff on offer].

Comment

We had the big switch over here the other day, and lots of the new digital channels are HD.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            We had the big switch over here the other day, and lots of the new digital channels are HD.
            Have people got the equipment to view it, in general? Or are they being sold stuff that won't work, like here.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Have people got the equipment to view it, in general? Or are they being sold stuff that won't work, like here.
              There was a bit of a rush to buy set-top-boxes on the first day, and the media tried to inflate it, but no real problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                I'm in the other 10%
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

anyone know if a hauppage internal tv card can be used with german tv?
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    anyone know if a hauppage internal tv card can be used with german tv?
                    Yes, in one of the set up screens you say you're going to be watching TV in Germany and it will do a lot of the other settings automagically.

Comment

Working...
                    X