• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractual 'Notice to Quit' time period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractual 'Notice to Quit' time period

I have been given a contract with a one hour 'notice to quit' clause. Is this something anyone else has seen? All my previous contracts have had at least a months' quit period.

Never heard of anything so low - I guess you are being paid by the hour?

The shortest I've had was 7 days, but as has been discussed elsewhere (a number of times), having a notice period or not makes no difference (assuming you are paid for the work that you do).

Having such a short notice period might help in an IR35 investigation - no permie would have such a ridiculously short notice period!
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yeh, this is a return to those days of hourly rates again...

Good point re IR35 - I'm liking that!

Comment

Sounds like a contract written by a anally retentive numpty, might as well just say "no notice" required

As to the hourly rate, never stopped working via them myself. Always worked out more profitable and if I want to bunk off early (or start late) client rarely bitch's because they are not paying for it. Where on daily rate's always find client trying to squeeze that little bit extra for free and god help you if you start late/end early

Comment

Never heard of that! If it got invoked, your handover would be like an episode of Ready Steady Cook.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
            I have been given a contract with a one hour 'notice to quit' clause. Is this something anyone else has seen? All my previous contracts have had at least a months' quit period.
            Sounds like the new contracts issued by an international bank via adeco recently.

nothing you can do about it as the bank wont budge. Either accept it or youll have to leave.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

1 hour, what a joke.

You may find after a few weeks they`ll want to up it to two weeks or a month.

Shortest notice period I`ve had was a week but they tried to up it to a month after a few weeks of me being there but I told them 'no', I wanted it left at 1 week

With any notice period, they can get rid of you when they want actually and the agents won`t do anything to back you up either. Don`t worry about it being one hour and if they do want to change it later, decide if you want to accept the new terms or want to keep it at one hour

Good luck with the new contract
              Last edited by SuperZ; 18 November 2009, 23:43.

Comment

Working...
              X