• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 year rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 year rule

has any recent decisions changed things?

I hit my 2yrs in 3wks and they're trying to talk about an extension. I'm not totally sure i want this, but I'm not wanting to lose my expenses. They have offered me £3 a day more.

I'm more bothered about what i would lose. currently claim about 40miles per day would i lose anything else? would i flag to HMRC anything to do with IR35?

I know these have been asked before, but i need clear answers before discussing further with client tomorrow. Just hope this other tender i'm working on will come good...
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Nothing's changed nor, to be fair is it likely to, since the rules are set for permies. Be grateful you're getting an uplift to cover even some of the extra, but as long as you don't claim things you shouldn't, HMRC won't take any notice at all.

It's certainly nothing to do with IR35 (not much is, to be honest. Too many people are simply paranoid about it!).
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

so, other than stopping claiming the 40miles per day, nothing will change?

Comment

If that's all you're claiming now, no.

Be aware though that if you take a new contract, the rules still apply if you're still in the same rough area: you don't rest the clock that easily. Have a read of somehting I wrote earlier... http://www.lpwcs.com/wordpress/artic...out-24-months/
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Cheers Mal, had seen that before but things are never clear and in simple english!

Comment

Did I not read that you must stop claiming expenses as soon as you know you will be breaking the 2 year rule. It doesn't mean you stop claiming at 2 years.

If you were given a 6 month contract and your turned 2 years 5 months in to this you cannot claim expenses for any part of that contract.

EDIT : Aw nuts.. it does mention this in Malvo's link. Will leave it here anyway.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 17 November 2009, 14:37.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

either keep claiming the expenses or continue working without the expenses.

are you seriously telling us you'd jack an extension in the current market cos you couldnt claim expenses for a 40 mile a day trip!?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                either keep claiming the expenses or continue working without the expenses.

are you seriously telling us you'd jack an extension in the current market cos you couldnt claim expenses for a 40 mile a day trip!?
                no, but i do hate the client and the project.

Comment

Working...
                X