• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Import of goods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import of goods

OK guys - has anyone ever imported goods from Aisa before, if so what are the pitfalls. tax etc.....
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

If < 18 quid you get it through tax free. Or 32 quid for gifts from one individual to another.

Over than VAT is payable on CIF basic (i.e. total cost not good costs). Also duty. If < 7 quid it should be waived.

If brought through and cleared by UK post office they charge an 8 quid handling fee.

If brought through by FedEx etc they generally pay all duties and bill you.

Theres a load of info on HMRC.

Clearing costs can often exceed goods value on small consignments.

Larger consignments agree it in advance, especially if coming in by sea. By the time they stiffed you for storage etc awaiting clearence it can be quite a sum.

Comment

so If I had a friend in Asia who could send me some equipment via the PO I'd have to pay import duty
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

I wouldn't trust the PO if the goods have any value. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Avoiding import duty & VAT? Importing large or bulky goods? If you are importing something valuable (e.g. IT equipment) I would suggest using a reputable freight forwarder. They cost a fair bit more than the post office but you (generally) get what you pay for. The freight company will handle all customs clearance for you and charge you a handling fee plus any freight & customs charges. Air freight is getting expensive as the fuel surcharges keep going up and air freight charges from Asia are already among the most expensive due to the high demand for imports from China etc.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
        X