• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs forced to sell their (second) homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPs forced to sell their (second) homes

Linky

"But in the last few weeks we have discovered that the taxpayer will stop helping with the cost of the mortgage, for at least six weeks before Parliament dissolves"

So, not content with already announcing that the useless woman is going to resign at the next election (and get her golden handshake), she's now moaning that she has to sell her home because the taxpayer isn't going to help out any more.

Poor thing.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Here's the thing ... is being an MP really a £60K a year job? Don't you want quality people? The reality is that all these stupid expenses rules should be abolished, and the basic pay increased to around £100 to £120K.

Now that should start a debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
      ... the basic pay increased to around £100 to £120K...
      I believe that was the recommendation of the independent body that advises them, but they decided not to go through with it as they want all the train drivers to stick to 1% increases without moaning...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I would agree with Jeebo provided it was part of a pack of reforms of our democracy, like a written national constitution, manadatory referenda on changes to it and any issue with sufficient signatures and secret voting in the commons.

As it is is they can no longer legislate in many areas, having given away the powers to the EU, and on the rest most just do whatever the whips tell them to. Why are a bunch of self seeking powerless rubber stamps worth paying at all?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think anyone who wants to be an MP should not be allowed - they will obviously be an egotistical arrogant self serving tw@

the average unemployed joe and joanne off the street should be given the job for 4 years

think this was done in a book somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            I think anyone who wants to be an MP should not be allowed - they will obviously be an egotistical arrogant self serving tw@

the average unemployed joe and joanne off the street should be given the job for 4 years

think this was done in a book somewhere.
            Kurt Vonnegut IIRC.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
            X