• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Words fail me - again!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words fail me - again!!!

Who packed the jury with namby pamby tree huggers and where do they find these limp wristed judges?

Cleared: the bomber's sister 'who praised bin Laden'
    By John Steele, Crime Correspondent
    The Telegraph
    (Filed: 29/11/2005)

The brother and sister of one of the first two British suicide bombers were cleared at the Old Bailey yesterday of knowing about his mission and failing to alert the authorities before the attack.

Parveen and Zahid Sharif, whose brother, Omar Sharif, joined Asif Hanif in a suicide mission to Israel in 2003, were found not guilty in a retrial after the first jury failed to reach a verdict.

Zahid and Parveen Sharif leave the Old Bailey yesterday
    Parveen, 37, a supply teacher in Derby, was also cleared of inciting her brother to go through with the bombing. She and her 38-year-old brother, a Derby businessman, embraced in the dock.

The pair, who had Muslim fundamentalist literature in their homes, had denied the charges. The jury did not hear allegations made to police that Parveen had told schoolchildren after the September 11 attacks that she was "on bin Laden's team" and that the destruction of the World Trade Centre in New York was "a good job". The judge in the original trial ruled that evidence inadmissible.

The case involved the first high-profile use of the "failure to disclose" offence which was added to the Terrorism Act 2000 by Parliament after the attacks on New York and Washington in 2001.

Hanif's bomb exploded in the early hours of April 30, 2003, killing himself and three people and injuring 65 in Mike's Place, a busy seafront bar in Tel Aviv. Omar, from Derby, was with him but fled after his device failed to explode. His body was discovered in the sea off Israel 12 days later.

Hanif, 21, from London, and Omar, 27, saw themselves as the first British martyrs to the causes of Islam and the Palestinian people, the court heard. Jonathan Laidlaw, prosecuting, said the attack had been organised and sponsored by the military wing of the Palestinian religious group, Hamas - the first time Hamas had used non-Palestinian volunteers for a terrorist attack.

The trial centred on what Parveen and Zahid knew. Omar's wife, Tahira, was cleared at the first trial of failing to disclose information. In a crucial e-mail on April 23, Parveen allegedly wrote: "We all have to be firm and focused with reality, as time is slipping away and there is really no time to be weak and emotional.

"It does not matter of consequences to us in this life because we do not fear … When we see you again it will be like only half a day has passed."

It added: "Stay focused and determined. You have no time for emotions. May Allah take care of us all…"

Mr Laidlaw suggested that it was "clear that she was encouraging her brother to go through with the bombing".

However, Parveen told the jury it was "a sick idea" to suggest that she had encouraged her brother. She had not believed that he was a bomber until she saw a video, issued by Hamas nearly a year later, of him and Hanif holding guns. "It is not the Omar I know," she said.

Zahid Sharif told the jury: "He has never talked to me about anything like that. I had no idea he was going to kill himself. In the end he did not kill himself, or so they say."

The Crown had suggested that when assessing how much the sister and brother knew, members of the jury should consider that in both of their homes police found material from the extremist Muslim intellectual group, Hizb ut-Tahrir.

There was also evidence that Zahid had an interest in al-Muhajiroun, a group headed by Omar Bakri Mohammed. Both groups face being outlawed in Britain.

Parveen claimed that she was a devout, moderate Muslim.

In ruling the evidence about her comments on the September 11 attacks inadmissible at the original trial, the Recorder of London, Michael Hyam, said: "Although a complaint about what Parveen was alleged to have said was made within a day or two, no note was made at the school or anywhere else as to what she had said."
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Level of proof Chico, level of proof

just because you're a bigot, that doesn't mean that the judiciary has to be.
    Why not?

Comment

> Words fail me - again!!!

OK, best to stick clappa clappa handies, or peek-a-boo for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
        Words fail me ."
        If only
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Typical child's mistake, Jobbywanker

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
          > Words fail me - again!!!

OK, best to stick clappa clappa handies, or peek-a-boo for now.
          Judging others by your own standards.
          Why not?

Comment

I like to offer guidance to children DG. Now go back and sit on your potty.

Comment

I dislike Islam at least as much as you do Chico but I suppose guilt of even Muslims has to be proved and not assumed.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yes, I was warned about people like you

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
                I like to offer guidance to children DG. Now go back and sit on your potty.
                Like to offer guidance to children!!!!!!
                How long ago did you leave the church?
                Why not?

Comment

Working...
                X