• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An Interview with the Indians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Interview with the Indians

A week ago I had a technical interview with Prata Consultancy.

Part of it went like this:

Interviewer: What output do you get if you `echo ##` ?
    Me: <thinking hard> I don't know apart from ## but I do know what you get if you `echo $$` and explain.

The interview then continues on with various other questions until it ends with this:

Interviewer: Ok that's all the questions do you have any questions ?
    Me: Yes one what was the answer to echo ## ?
    Interviewer: Ah yes, we asked the wrong question we meant to ask echo $$
    Me: Hang up the phone and scream loudly.

Anyone else had similar ?

Can't say I've ever had anyone on a phone interview mix up their #'s and ?'s.

On reflection, don't think anything like that has ever came up, even in real life.

Although today I had some retard phone me up about our car that's on sale in autotrader and ebay call. I explained to him that the ebay price was xxxx which is a £1000 more than I listed it for on autotrader, so I'd probably be going with that. And he then tried to argue by saying, but in autotrader you had it at xxxx-£1000, so you're not wanting to sell it to me at that price?

FFS.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Although today I had some retard phone me up about our car that's on sale in autotrader and ebay call. I explained to him that the ebay price was xxxx which is a £1000 more than I listed it for on autotrader, so I'd probably be going with that. And he then tried to argue by saying, but in autotrader you had it at xxxx-£1000, so you're not wanting to sell it to me at that price?

FFS.
      I can see why he had trouble with it....

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        I can see why he had trouble with it....
        WHS

I think one of the fundamentals of a deal is the offer price; best to make your mind up about that before you offer to contract, I don't think you can blame the other party for wanting clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
          WHS

I think one of the fundamentals of a deal is the offer price; best to make your mind up about that before you offer to contract, I don't think you can blame the other party for wanting clarification
          WHS+1
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            WHS+1
            whs+1

oops. thread hijack. apologies to the op. a quick glance at the online users tells me he's not online just now so i *might* get away with it!

Comment

Fair enough, see your point but I would have still thought it would be clear to someone when I tell them that sorry, but I'm getting more for it by listing on ebay.

I would have been willing to sell it at my offer price, (Autotrader was always a contingency to get rid of it if ebay didn't come through), we just didn't think it would get as high as it did on ebay.

Not like I entered into an agreement with anyone on autotrader and reneged, I just listed it but I'm getting more through ebay.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                WHS

Ah, but the advert in Autotrader was merely an invitation to treat and the caller was making an offer, which snaw was free to accept or reject. The advert wasn't an offer to sell at that price.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                  A week ago I had a technical interview with Prata Consultancy.

Part of it went like this:

Interviewer: What output do you get if you `echo ##` ?
                  Me: <thinking hard> I don't know apart from ## but I do know what you get if you `echo $$` and explain.

The interview then continues on with various other questions until it ends with this:

Interviewer: Ok that's all the questions do you have any questions ?
                  Me: Yes one what was the answer to echo ## ?
                  Interviewer: Ah yes, we asked the wrong question we meant to ask echo $$
                  Me: Hang up the phone and scream loudly.

Anyone else had similar ?
                  i have had an agent ask me what 'asp' means and whether .net is the same thing as the internet

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
                    i have had an agent ask me what 'asp' means and whether .net is the same thing as the internet
                    What's Apple's competing internet called then?

Comment

Working...
                    X