• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cash Passport and robbing banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash Passport and robbing banks

I'm fuming.....

I'm travelling to Australia again in just after Christmas and I've been adding Australian Dollars to my Travelex Cash Passport card (it's like a pre-paid visa card which saves taking travellers cheques)...

Each time I've topped it up by about £500 - In Sainsburys - In the UK and guess what?

Lloyds TSB have charged me 3 "overseas transaction" fees!!!!mad

When was the Manchester Ship canal classed as overseas????

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
    I'm fuming.....

I'm travelling to Australia again in just after Christmas and I've been adding Australian Dollars to my Travelex Cash Passport card (it's like a pre-paid visa card which saves taking travellers cheques)...

Each time I've topped it up by about £500 - In Sainsburys - In the UK and guess what?

Lloyds TSB have charged me 3 "overseas transaction" fees!!!!mad

When was the Manchester Ship canal classed as overseas????
    Where did you get the Cash Passport from?
    If you originally got iit in Australia then that would explain the overseas transaction fees
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I got the card in Sainsbury's.....the same branch I topped it up in!

I was actually speechless when I got the statement which is very rare for me....

Maybe the Warrington branch of Sainsbury's has declared itself a republic and the Ship Canal is the border crossing.

Still, at least when I use it in Oz I just have to pay a one off $5 fee to withdraw so I suppose it all balances out in the end.

Comment

Why not just use a card that does not charge a transaction fee when your abroad? Nationwide used to do it, might be others out there.
        "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

I got the card in Sainsbury's.....the same branch I topped it up in!

I was actually speechless when I got the statement which is very rare for me....

Maybe the Warrington branch of Sainsbury's has declared itself a republic and the Ship Canal is the border crossing.

Still, at least when I use it in Oz I just have to pay a one off $5 fee to withdraw so I suppose it all balances out in the end.
          IIRC, these cards are seen as a bit of a rip off for exactly the reasons you've stipulated....

Australia is not a particularly backward country - they have cash machines where you can use you UK debit card for about $5.

The only reason I can see for using one of these cash holders is to lock in the exchange rate, but unless you think Australia is about to turn into the worlds powerhouse economy in the next 6 months it's not going to save you more than a few quid...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Its probably part of the same rip off banks do when you order foreign currency - using a debit card - to be delivered by post to home /collected at branch. You pay for the currency and any exchange rate charge BUT your own bank views it as a "Foreign Transaction" and charges you on top again.
            Last ( and only ) time I did it , was about 5 pounds extra for no good reason. Now I always use cash when purchasing foreign currency in the UK , never a debit card . When abroad use my UK debit card to withdraw from a cash machine. Nationwide used to be good but the shine has gone off their service.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              unless you think Australia is about to turn into the worlds powerhouse economy in the next 6 months ...
              It already is the world's powerhouse economy

* Commodity exports are up
              * Oz dollar has strengthened on the back of these exports, its 1.80 to the £ now and I have seen an article say it might hit parity with the US$ - wasn't it around $3 to the £ a few years ago?
              * Interest rates have risen twice recently and may do so again before end of the year.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                It already is the world's powerhouse economy

* Commodity exports are up
                * Oz dollar has strengthened on the back of these exports, its 1.80 to the £ now and I have seen an article say it might hit parity with the US$ - wasn't it around $3 to the £ a few years ago?
                * Interest rates have risen twice recently and may do so again before end of the year.
                WHOOOSSHHHHHHH!

See the point of this post? It's over there next to "Travel currency rip-off" sign...

You want the 'Ay You' post, 3 doors down...
                Last edited by cojak; 18 November 2009, 17:29.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Maybe...Warrington ... has declared itself a republic and the Ship Canal is the border crossing.
                  Given the parlous state of Britain's public finances one could hardly blame the good burghers of Warrington for doing so.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Given the parlous state of Britain's public finances one could hardly blame the good burghers of Warrington for doing so.
                    I think that Warrington should declare independence from the Crown...

Roll on "Passport to Penketh"

Comment

Working...
                    X