PDA

View Full Version : Programmers need to learn Stats or I will kill them all ...

sasguru
18th November 2009, 13:01
Hey you go you limited IT guys, try to read and learn::laugh

http://www.zedshaw.com/essays/programmer_stats.html

MrMark
18th November 2009, 13:05
Most people earn less than the average. Perhaps they should learn Stats to earn more?

DimPrawn
18th November 2009, 13:13

I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

Thrown on the permie scrapheap due to greedy bankers and an incompetent government, and all you can do is feel bitterness that IT folk are pulling in good money whilst you pot noodle in a shed.

threaded
18th November 2009, 13:16
Tell me about it. I was asked to add an autocorrelation function into a statistics package, so I wrote one. The customer decided it wasn't right. When I interviewed them, it was the autocorrelation co-efficient as used in signal processing they wanted. So I calmly asked why didn't they ask for that. After writing them one of those, it was still giving the 'wrong number'. Eventually got them to tell me what answer they wanted and it turned out to be a Breusch–Godfrey serial correlation LM test.

Oh how I laughed.

DimPrawn
18th November 2009, 13:17
Tell me about it. I was asked to add an autocorrelation function into a statistics package, so I wrote one. The customer decided it wasn't right. When I interviewed them, it was the autocorrelation co-efficient as used in signal processing they wanted. So I calmly asked why didn't they ask for that. After writing them one of those, it was still giving the 'wrong number'. Eventually got them to tell me what answer they wanted and it turned out to be a Breusch–Godfrey serial correlation LM test.

Oh how I laughed.

Good story for the pub on a Friday night.

Xenophon
18th November 2009, 13:18
Eventually got them to tell me what answer they wanted and it turned out to be a Breusch–Godfrey serial correlation LM test.

Oh how I laughed.

I guess you had to be there...

:grin

Bunk
18th November 2009, 13:18
Good story for the pub on a Friday night.

If he wants a table to himself.

NickFitz
18th November 2009, 13:27

Good find :yay:

thunderlizard
18th November 2009, 13:34

Sorry about that. Normally we just ask people to get a left-handed spanner or "a long weight" but in your case we didn't have the heart.

sasguru
18th November 2009, 13:40
I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

Thrown on the permie scrapheap due to greedy bankers and an incompetent government, and all you can do is feel bitterness that IT folk are pulling in good money whilst you pot noodle in a shed.

You IT guys make me laugh - you're so ignorant and narrow minded that you can only concieve of a binary world of "permies" and contractors.:laugh:laugh
You need to realise that I'm no longer in IT and my salary scale is not constrained by being an IT techie - so I'm not on your £70K max that most permies can expect.

but don't worry Dim, you carry on with your web programming
:laugh:laugh

threaded
18th November 2009, 13:44
You IT guys make me laugh - you're so ignorant and narrow minded that you can only concieve of a binary world of "permies" and contractors.:laugh:laugh
You need to realise that I'm no longer in IT and my salary scale is not constrained by being an IT techie - so I'm not on your £70K max that most permies can expect.

but don't worry Dim, you carry on with your web programming

Yeah, he's now got OTE!

and a car with an 'i' in badge.

BrilloPad
18th November 2009, 13:49
"I’ve been studying it for years and years and still don’t think I know anything. "

Why advertise how stupid you are?

Jeebo72
18th November 2009, 13:49

You'll enjoy this numbnut ... I used to be a Statistician. First proper job after my Maths degree …

sasguru
18th November 2009, 13:50
You'll enjoy this numbnut ... I used to be a Statistician. First proper job after my Maths degree …

Many people work in statistics, doesn't make them a statistician.

HTH

DimPrawn
18th November 2009, 13:51
Mean, mode, median. What's the big fuss?

EternalOptimist
18th November 2009, 13:51
I liked this bit

' I really can’t blame them since they were probably told in college that logic and reason are superior to evidence and observation'

these are the fools who stick to their models and insist the planet is warming when the evidence and observation tells them that it is cooling.

:rolleyes:

threaded
18th November 2009, 13:54
I liked this bit

' I really can’t blame them since they were probably told in college that logic and reason are superior to evidence and observation'

these are the fools who stick to their models and insist the planet is warming when the evidence and observation tells them that it is cooling.

There's a quote about Aristotle, and his logical determination that women have more teeth than men; even though he was married 3 times, he never bother to actually try counting them.

Jeebo72
18th November 2009, 13:59
Many people work in statistics, doesn't make them a statistician.

HTH

Ha, your life is probably so painfull. Prob why you drank so much. All that worry about having to feed the kids while doing a monotonous SAS job for the clever people who wrote the formulae ...

I used to be a Statistician. Just cos you use SAS and have written down y=ax+b you prob can call yourself statsguru.

Now MATLAB, that's where it was at ...

Jeebo72
18th November 2009, 13:59

Thing is, that's about it ;-)

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:01

You see that's why you guys will never really earn the big bucks.
You're limited.

HTH

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:02
Ha, your life is probably so painfull. Prob why you drank so much. All that worry about having to feed the kids while doing a monotonous SAS job for the clever people who wrote the formulae ...

I used to be a Statistician. Just cos you use SAS and have written down y=ax+b you prob can call yourself statsguru.

Now MATLAB, that's where it was at ...

Is it still half-term?
Nah, probably just a labour educashun.

threaded
18th November 2009, 14:09
Is it still half-term?

:spel
edukashun

Jeebo72
18th November 2009, 14:09
Is it still half-term?

No really, you're really funny. That's just brilliant. Alluding to the fact I may be a child... wow. Noone has ever used that one before. ******** genius. Your spawn, because you are so clever that you can procreate, must be so proud. How witty, how urbane.

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:12
No really, you're really funny. That's just brilliant. Alluding to the fact I may be a child... wow. Noone has ever used that one before. frolicking genius. Your spawn, because you are so clever that you can procreate, must be so proud. How witty, how urbane.

Just out of interest what do you do for a living now?

Jeebo72
18th November 2009, 14:15
Just out of interest what do you do for a living now?

Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing. The cool end of the IT spectrum ;-)

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:18
Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing. The cool end of the IT spectrum ;-)

So you've moved from where the money is - analytics - to lower down the food chain to techie commoditised stuff like DW? Why?

oracleslave
18th November 2009, 14:19
No really, you're really funny. That's just brilliant. Alluding to the fact I may be a child... wow. Noone has ever used that one before. frolicking genius. Your spawn, because you are so clever that you can procreate, must be so proud. How witty, how urbane.

A stats geek spat. Here is that excitement you were after disco.

Round 1: Whip out your calculators. Points for the smallest one with the most functions :rolleyes:

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:21
A stats geek spat. Here is that excitement you were after disco.

:

:spel boy in a man's world

HTH

Bunk
18th November 2009, 14:22
:spel
edukashun

edjumakashun :rolleyes:

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:26
He's not one of my students is he?

I'm sure I lost one last week.

Are they all this clueless?

Jeebo72
18th November 2009, 14:26
So you've moved from where the money is - analytics - to lower down the food chain to techie commoditised stuff like DW? Why?

Could be
a. "So you've moved from where the money is "
b. I hated stats but was really good at it, graduated into the recession in 94, had to take what was around and just kept going.
c. All of the above.

I like the "lower down the food chain" .. but mate, my fully paid for house, with fully paid for Merc, Porsche and ahem Toyota in the drive, with nice relaxing lifestyle that doesn't involve sleepless nights because of the kids, makes the pride swalling very much worth it. If being a stats guru, gives you a sense of pride, to make up for all the disappointing looks your mother gave you as a child, then very good. But chill out little. Might mean your kids get to see you retire.

Moose423956
18th November 2009, 14:28

:spel I presume you meant "Here". Do try to write properly.

Spacecadet
18th November 2009, 14:29
my fully paid for house, with fully paid for Merc, Porsche and ahem Toyota in the drive, with nice relaxing lifestyle

Ok DP, that's enough sockpuppetry

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:29
Could be
b. I hated stats but was really good at it, graduated into the recession in 94, had to take what was around and just kept going.
c. All of the above.

I like the "lower down the food chain" .. but mate, my fully paid for house, with fully paid for Merc, Porsche and ahem Toyota in the drive, with nice relaxing lifestyle that doesn't involve sleepless nights because of the kids, makes the pride swalling very much worth it. If being a stats guru, gives you a sense of pride, to make up for all the disappointing looks your mother gave you as a child, then very good. But chill out little. Might mean your kids get to see you retire.

We've got another applicant for the CUK Village Idiot job I see.
I'm inclined to appoint this one straight away.

DimPrawn
18th November 2009, 14:30
Ok DP, that's enough sockpuppetry

Damn!

I must try harder with these. You trying creating a new sockpuppet every single day!

:eyes

Jeebo72
18th November 2009, 14:42
We've got another applicant for the CUK Village Idiot job I see.
I'm inclined to appoint this one straight away.

Accepted.

Cheers.

DiscoStu
18th November 2009, 14:47
Could be
c. All of the above.

Your tone is somewhat similar to a mentalist who used to post here :eyes

BrilloPad
18th November 2009, 14:48
He's not one of my students is he?

I'm sure I lost one last week.

I think you ate that one.

HTH

BrilloPad
18th November 2009, 14:49

Do you mean she who must not be mentioned?

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:49

Not to mention his command of English which I've always found is a good, if not infallible, indicator of a person's level in the food chain.

DiscoStu
18th November 2009, 14:50
Do you mean she who must not be mentioned?

I don't know, am I allowed to mention her? :freaky:

BrilloPad
18th November 2009, 14:51
I don't know, am I allowed to mention her? :freaky:

Best not to mention **** or ***.*** we dont want this thread deleted.

Moscow Mule
Not to mention his command of English which I've always found is a good, if not infallible, indicator of a person's level in the food chain. Innit.

FTFY.

You can sort your punctuation out on your own.

Pondlife

Not to mention his command of English which I've always found is a good, if not infallible, indicator of a person's level in the food chain.

:confused: :D

sasguru
18th November 2009, 14:54
:confused: :D

Can you not tell the difference between a typo and a lack of mastery of the English language?

Spacecadet
18th November 2009, 14:57
Can you not tell the difference between a typo and a lack of mastery of the English language?

Ni

BrilloPad
18th November 2009, 14:59

When you do it then its a typo. Anyone else and its a lack of mastery of the English language.

HTH