• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forum Performance Poll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Performance Poll

As it says. Is forum performance better, worse or no different for you since TPD was closed.
    Better
    13.79%
    Worse
    27.59%
    No Difference
    58.62%
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

No difference.

Not been particularly bad today - had a few "you must wait 30 seconds" messages, so it was fairly quick at times.

Certainly no better since TPD was locked.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Seems a lot better the last 10 minutes or so. But immediately after tpd was locked it didn't seem to make much difference.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

No change whatsoever that I can discern.

I think it makes more sense to properly examine the mySQL configuration (which by default has some pretty stupid settings that can affect performance under load) rather than randomly trying things and then claiming a subjective impression of improvement. The human mind is a tricky thing; if one does something that one thinks will make things better, one then tends to think that they are better.

Facts and figures are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Seems a lot better the last 10 minutes or so. But immediately after tpd was locked it didn't seem to make much difference.
          I've been seeing those kind of variations all day. In fact, I see them all the time. For example the site is always slower between around noon and 2PM because of people visiting during their lunch break, the vast majority of whom are visiting General.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I've been seeing those kind of variations all day. In fact, I see them all the time. For example the site is always slower between around noon and 2PM because of people visiting during their lunch break, the vast majority of whom are visiting General.
            Thats it! Delete General!

Even if it doesnt improve performance it will make the boards a nicer place
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

the site is always slower between around noon and 2PM because of people visiting during their lunch break, the vast majority of whom are visiting General.
              It's more like people go off this site to lunch and post all other time

Comment

I think it makes more sense to properly examine the mySQL configuration (which by default has some pretty stupid settings that can affect performance under load) rather than randomly trying things and then claiming a subjective impression of improvement.
                Nah.

Sod it.

Ditching threads is clearly the way to go.

All user accounts with > 10,000 posts should be deleted too. That makes an awful lot of sense.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Nah.

Sod it.

Ditching threads is clearly the way to go.

All user accounts with > 10,000 posts should be deleted too. That makes an awful lot of sense.
                  That took two minutes to post.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

FWIW - I've just had my first database error of the day.

And it took nearly a minute for the "New Posts" page to load.

Congratulations
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X