• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Parks and User Friendly Design

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Parks and User Friendly Design

Now then, if anyone's ever involved in the design and construction of car parks, I have a small suggestion which might add to customer satisfaction and thereby enable you to achieve your Key Performance Indicator.

My observations have taught me that one rather popular use of car parks is for people to deposit their multi-person motorised vehicle while partaking in some necessary, worthwhile or perhaps enjoyable activity, for example, going to an interview, doing the shopping or visiting an art gallery.

Is it not therefore wise to take account of the size and manoeuvrability of said vehicles when designing the car park? Should there perhaps be due consideration in the positioning of roof support pillars? Is it really a good idea to place two pillars in front of the entrance necessitating the execution of a slalom manoeuvre by those entering the car park? Would it not be of some delectation for the customer if the parking space is 1 Large enough to park a car and open the door and 2 accessible without the use of a bulldozer to demolish the concrete pillar in the way of the space?

I can understand that roof pillars are necessary; it would be an even greater inconvenience for the motorist to be crushed by 5000 tonnes of reinforced concrete while parking, and I also understand the pressing need for aesthetic values in car park architecture.

But let me request that car park designers test their designs using a software simulation package which allows for the simulation of a variety of cars from large to small. I do not drive a Suzuki Alto, although I suspect that most owners of Suzuki Altos actually require even more parking space than owners of large German saloons due to the standard of their coordination skills.

In other words, make the bloody car park into a place where you can park instead of a stupid concrete maze with half blocked spaces where nobody could even fit a washing machine!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

WHS

The spaces in those concrete monstrosities tend to be so small that drivers have to obstruct everybody else while they stop, let their family out, then occupy the space, go back and forth a few times until they can open the door and get out themselves... and the whole thing happens in reverse order when they want to leave

Comment

Just take up two spaces

I'm not very good at parking...
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The car parks were there first (mostly). If car manufacturers want to make and car buyers want to buy something that's not fit for purpose that's hardly their fault.

Comment

Customer satisfaction probably comes very low down on the KPI list. Making money and hence smaller spaces has a far higher priority.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            The car parks were there first (mostly). If car manufacturers want to make and car buyers want to buy something that's not fit for purpose that's hardly their fault.
            Not hard to change the markings though
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              Not hard to change the markings though
              It's hard to move the pillars.

Comment

Granted, but in a lot of car parks there is a big enough gap between the pillars so that you can squeeze an extra space in.

The ones ar Stockley park for BP were about the worst I've used. Even if the two cars were slap bang in the middle of their spots you would struggle getting in and out.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The entrance to the Harrisson Gibbs car park in Ilford has what looks and feels like a 45% drop as soon as you enter. I have over 20 years driving experience but the first time I went down this ramp I almost ended up with brown trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    The ones ar Stockley park for BP were about the worst I've used.
                    I can vouch for that (not BP, one of the other buildings). The pillars made it like The Hacienda crossed with a maze for lab mice. And that was before the sewage system packed up leaving the car park 1/2'' deep in effluvia.

Comment

Working...
                    X