• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Applications at Windows startup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applications at Windows startup

What's the best way of finding out what applications are running when Windows boots up?

Is there a good third party app that can tell you and allow you to disable the ones you want?

Looking for recommendations.

Have you tried msconfig?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Try msconfig (standard native command line app) that's actually pretty decent and a good start point.

Spybot S&D has an ok built in utility too.

Comment

DOH!

Ta.

Comment

HijackThis is pretty useful

HTH
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            HijackThis is pretty useful

HTH
            WHS +1

Also, try Ccleaner, which cleans the PC temp files and other garbage, cleans registry, and lets you enable/disable or delete startup tools.

It's good software and I've used it on hundreds of PC's now with no problems. Very useful.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Which windows? Vista has a startup manager built in, it's on the control panel. You can also stop/start/enabe/disable running services via services.exe in windows\system32. Also look at taskmanager.exe, that controls the things that are scheduled to run although they may not be running at the mo.

I just have a folder with shortcuts to all the most useful system stuff. Easier than fannying around trying to find them in the control panel or even (good grief!) using the cmd line.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I disabled all these services:

cyberlink rich video service
                function discovery resource publication
                infrared monitor service
                tablet PC input service
                terminal services
                Portable Device Enumerator Service
                Volume Shadow Copy Service
                Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
                Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
                Windows Modules Installer Service (Trusted Installer)
                Superfetch
                ReadyBoost
                Windows Backup

Plus proprietary update stuff, Google, Adobe etc

Obviously some may need turning on again when you do a specific task.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Which windows? Vista has a startup manager built in, it's on the control panel. You can also stop/start/enabe/disable running services via services.exe in windows\system32. Also look at taskmanager.exe, that controls the things that are scheduled to run although they may not be running at the mo.

I just have a folder with shortcuts to all the most useful system stuff. Easier than fannying around trying to find them in the control panel or even (good grief!) using the cmd line.
                  Top tip, thanks. Disabled a few more apps with this.

It is actually a feature of Windows Defender.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  I disabled all these services:

cyberlink rich video service
                  function discovery resource publication
                  infrared monitor service
                  tablet PC input service
                  terminal services
                  Volume Shadow Copy Service
                  Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
                  Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
                  Windows Modules Installer Service (Trusted Installer)
                  Superfetch
                  ReadyBoost
                  Windows Backup

Plus proprietary update stuff, Google, Adobe etc

Obviously some may need turning on again when you do a specific task.
                  The CyberLink stuff was slowing down my laptop - almost a dozen applications running at startup!!

Also, another good utility is Autoruns - used to use it years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X