View Full Version : Cars again

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 09:51
the 280hp X5 or X6 ?

assuming we keep the pathfinder incase we sometimes need the extra space

Milan.

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 09:56
Both are footballers' cars. Just get a nicely kitted out 5 series; much more stylish, much better to drive and much more subtle.

DimPrawn
19th November 2009, 09:56
X5.

Says "I'm a coont, I don't give a flying toss about so called Climate Change, I've got money and you are in my way loser".

Love it.

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 09:58
X5.

Says "I'm a coont, I don't give a flying toss about so called Climate Change, I've got money and you are in my way loser".
Chavtastic!

stingman123
19th November 2009, 09:59
X5.

Love it.

Don't all BMW drivers say that?

DimPrawn
19th November 2009, 10:02
Don't all BMW drivers say that?

Not the base 1 series. That says "Aspirational coont"

Pondlife
19th November 2009, 10:03
Both are footballers' cars. Just get a nicely kitted out 5 series; much more stylish, much better to drive and much more subtle.

WMtTS

Unless you need the ground clearance when pulling the potato plough ;)

Bensey. Had bit of a chat with a mate who works at .net HQ and some new things are to be released soon. Will hopefully be seeing him in the crown lounge next week and will see what I can gather.

oracleslave
19th November 2009, 10:10
X5.

Love it.

:rollin:

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 10:11
WMtTS

Unless you need the ground clearance when pulling the potato plough ;)

Bensey. Had bit of a chat with a mate who works at .net HQ and some new things are to be released soon. Will hopefully be seeing him in the crown lounge next week and will see what I can gather.You could even get a 7 for the price of those X thingies.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:12
Pondlife,

good man.

Pls, share the wealth.

I took have some spies in the bee hive, but nothing new in my area at moment, thinking of going for OS/DB migration certificate next year

X5 or X6, hmm, thing is, after having the pathfinder, I will not go back to a saloon car, they sit too low to the ground, the great thing with an SUV is that on the motorway, you have fantastic visibility of what it going on ahead

don't care what reputation the X5 has in blighty (all this footballers wives stuff is such a shame and nonsense), two friends have the new 3.5d 280hp and it is awesome, and like 15k cheaper than the Range Sport, you wanna have some fun, try the 280hp diesel X5 it is unstoppable

X6 is about the same price as the X5

for that price and performance in the SUV market there's nothing else to compare

Milan.

Moscow Mule
19th November 2009, 10:14
X5.

Love it.

Surely an X6 says this just as much along with "oh, I'm so rich I don't need to carry loads of crap in the back of my 4x4 either"

I like the look of the X6, but only because it looks a bit like this
Stinky linky (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mitsubishi_Pajero_Montero_Paris-Dakar_2003.jpg)

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:15
yes but Mich, 7 has the same problem, it's a saloon car, sits low to the ground and on the autobahn you can't see feckall of what is going in front of the car in front and/or the one in front of him

secondly, the fast suv's have presence and people get out of the way

you probably do not require these characteristics in blighty with your speed limits and cameras

but trust me, when you are going fast on the motorway it's nice to know more of what's going on ahead than only the lights of the car in front of you

after an SUV there's no turning back, nothing is safer

Milan.

Moscow Mule
19th November 2009, 10:16
for that price and performance in the SUV market there's nothing else to compare

Milan.

Save some money and get the Land Cruiser 4.5 Turbo Diesel?

DiscoStu
19th November 2009, 10:17
yes but Mich, 7 has the same problem, it's a saloon car, sits low to the ground and on the autobahn you can't see flipall of what is going in front of the car in front and/or the one in front of him

secondly, the fast suv's have presence and people get out of the way

you probably do not require these characteristics in blighty with your speed limits and cameras

but trust me, when you are going fast on the motorway it's nice to know more of what's going on ahead than only the lights of the car in front of you

after an SUV there's no turning back, nothing is safer

Milan.

If I was doing German motorway speeds and had to swerve quickly I know what I'd rather be in, and it wouldn't be an SUV!

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:18
you're thinking olf range rover and discovery

the X6 has a stiff suspension setting same as a saloon car

but still even the pathfinder does not roll like the the old range rovers, and the X5 has miniscule roll compared to the pathfinder

Milan.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 10:18
All UK-based posters please note: we call them 4x4s, not SUVs.

Thanks y'all.

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 10:21
If I was doing German motorway speeds and had to swerve quickly I know what I'd rather be in, and it wouldn't be an SUV!WHS. A 5 series or e-class is very stable at 200 kph+, serene quiet on the inside, and if you need to swerve to avoid the stupid cloggy with a dodgy caravan and no concept of mirrors or indicators it will do the job. You see that's the problem with the autobahn; everything's fine until some jerk changes lane without engaging his brain.

DimPrawn
19th November 2009, 10:21
Get out of my way! Those tapes don't change themselves.

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/g-power-typhoon-11.jpg

Paddy
19th November 2009, 10:22
Pondlife,

, I will not go back to a saloon car, they sit too low to the ground, the great thing with an SUV is that on the motorway, you have fantastic visibility of what it going on ahead

Milan.

Good on straight roads but shit on bends and Alpine roads.

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 10:22
Get out of my way! Those tapes don't change themselves.

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/g-power-typhoon-11.jpgLooks like a Golf with a plastic bodykit.

DimPrawn
19th November 2009, 10:23
Good on straight roads but tulip on bends and Alpine roads.

The X5 is very good on the bends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59aXM8c1OXk

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 10:25
Good on straight roads but tulip on bends and Alpine roads.

I've been up and down mountains when going skiing in a Cayenne Turbo and it is safe and fast. Less roll than most cars I'd say. Then again, I like 4x4s...

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 10:26
The X5 is very good on the bends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59aXM8c1OXkNever mind. It's still the ultimate expression of 'made a load of money but didn't stop to learn taste along the way'.

A bit like big mock tudor houses with statues of Venus from B&Q in the garden.

DimPrawn
19th November 2009, 10:26
A bit like big mock tudor houses with statues of Venus from B&Q in the garden.

Stop it, I'm getting excited.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 10:27
Looks like a Golf with a plastic bodykit.

:eek:

It would make knickers drop.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:28
thank you Xenophon

Dim, excellent

Mich, forget about it, you're getting too deep, you know you want one too, go on treat yourself

Milan.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:32
Xeno,

what's the Cayenne Turbo like, is it less a Toerag and more a Porsche or the other way around ?

I dread to think how much petrol those things drink

they don't have seem to fly though

Milan.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:38
if we get an X5/6 the Passat will be surplus to requirements.

PM me if any of you are interested in a Passat diesel estate, 1 careful owner, never red lined for long periods, 100,000 miles etc

Milan.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 10:40
Xeno,

what's the Cayenne Turbo like, is it less a Toerag and more a Porsche or the other way around ?

I dread to think how much petrol those things drink

they don't have seem to fly though

Milan.

Not mine, sadly. It belongs to my other half's dad. It's an awesome car. Performance, ride and snob factor. Properly fast and perfect for carrying people/dogs/luggage over long distances.

Don't know about the Touareg - never been in one. The V10 diesel has bucket-loads of torque and they do share the chassis with the Cayenne, but I do remember hearing that the Touareg ride is not up to much.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:42
i guess driving to the alps in a Cayenne Turbo makes spending time with the in-laws less painful

your Mrs's father has a Cayenne Turbo

mate, you dun good

what do your mates think ?

Milan.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 10:46
i guess driving to the alps in a Cayenne Turbo makes spending time with the in-laws less painful

your Mrs's father has a Cayenne Turbo

mate, you dun good

what do your mates think ?

Milan.

Aye, he has done pretty well.

Heh. It isn't really mentioned in pub convos to be honest.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 10:50
forget him,

you dun well :-)

sorteeed, get a bun in the oven, retire and live off daddy

Milan.

DiscoStu
19th November 2009, 10:53
if we get an X5/6 the Passat will be surplus to requirements.

PM me if any of you are interested in a Passat diesel estate, 1 careful owner, never red lined for long periods, 100,000 miles etc

Milan.

Steering wheel's on the wrong side!

gingerjedi
19th November 2009, 10:57
Not the base 1 series. That says "Aspirational coont"

Aspirational coont with no room for shopping.

Great it's rear wheel drive but it fails on the fundamental basics of what a hatchback should be.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 10:59
forget him,

you dun well :-)

sorteeed, get a bun in the oven, retire and live off daddy

Milan.

:laugh

If only!!

Spacecadet
19th November 2009, 11:01
the 280hp X5 or X6 ?

assuming we keep the pathfinder incase we sometimes need the extra space

Milan.

From the rest of the posts I think you want to get the X5
The X6 just looks wrong and will have other car owners laughing at you for the wrong reasons

sasguru
19th November 2009, 11:18
This thread proves what I've always thought - you can't give the working class taste.

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 11:21
you can't give the working class taste.WHS
You can't even make money trying to sell it to them as they don't recognise it when they see it.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 11:25
you boyz, you're in denial, you know you want a Hummer

Milan.

Spacecadet
19th November 2009, 11:26
you boyz, you're in denial, you know you want a Hummer

Milan.

Depends upon who will be administering the hummer

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 11:29
you boyz, you're in de nile, you know you want a Hummer
Only if I were to regularly drive through rivers.

DimPrawn
19th November 2009, 11:29
This thread proves what I've always thought - you can't give the working class taste.

Can you get a Burberry interior in that giant SUV?

Paddy
19th November 2009, 12:56
I've been up and down mountains when going skiing in a Cayenne Turbo and it is safe and fast. Less roll than most cars I'd say. Then again, I like 4x4s...

I have just had a read up on the x5 and the Cayenne Turbo. The X5 has a low centre of gravity by 4x4 standards because the engine is positioned low. The drive shafts run through the sump to get around the problem.

The Cayenne Turbo has a high centre of gravity that "it's sub-optimal for the street." Off road the rest of the vehicle is not really designed for off road hence it is a compromise.

No 4x4 off roader will out-corner a saloon or hot hatch and defiantly not when it verses one with hyroactive suspension.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 13:12
I have just had a read up on the x5 and the Cayenne Turbo. The X5 has a low centre of gravity by 4x4 standards because the engine is positioned low. The drive shafts run through the sump to get around the problem.

The Cayenne Turbo has a high centre of gravity that "it's sub-optimal for the street." Off road the rest of the vehicle is not really designed for off road hence it is a compromise.

No 4x4 off roader will out-corner a saloon or hot hatch and defiantly not when it verses one with hyroactive suspension.

Yeah, you're right. Actually it is rubbish.

:rolleyes:

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 13:15
don't you just lurrrve these arm chair experts, never driven or owned any of these machines yet thanks to a search engine are able to give educated opinions :laugh

i reckon it will have to be the X6, there are simply far too many X5's around

Milan.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 13:19

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=993&p=&d=0&min=&max=&y1=&y2=&txt=&px=&xsl=list&pagesize=15&filter=TP&o=p&pc=

Nice motors. One of my neighbours has one in black. I wasn't sold on it initially, but having seen it a few times, I have to say it does have presence.

Moscow Mule
19th November 2009, 13:22
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=993&p=&d=0&min=&max=&y1=&y2=&txt=&px=&xsl=list&pagesize=15&filter=TP&o=p&pc=

Nice motors. One of my neighbours has one in black. I wasn't sold on it initially, but having seen it a few times, I have to say it does have presence.

Is there actually room for an adult in the back? I wouldn't want to take the reduction in luggage space either.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 13:25
Is there actually room for an adult in the back? I wouldn't want to take the reduction in luggage space either.

Seats 4 only. Boot space is better than it looks from the outside.

gingerjedi
19th November 2009, 13:30
don't you just lurrrve these arm chair experts, never driven or owned any of these machines yet thanks to a search engine are able to give educated opinions :laugh

Milan.

GT, PGR, and Forza have open roads and race tracks with no speed limits.

I recommend the Ultima GTR, flat out down the Edgware road, around Marble Arch (sideways) before straightening up for Park Lane... what a blast.:smokin

Spacecadet
19th November 2009, 13:31

Maybe this was the wrong forum to ask then :)

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 13:44

Xeno,

I think, our wannebee old monied friends need to learn to let their hair down and enjoy themselves, such a machine is not about class or status, it's about having some fun while going from A to B with one's family.

Mitch and Sas,

Put your slippers on and put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Milan.

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 13:47
Put your slippers on and put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Ooh that sounds good. I'll have a glass of brandy with that too.

Spacecadet
19th November 2009, 13:48
If I want to transport my family safely and comfortably and have some fun doing so .

Catch the train and buy a PSP

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 13:49
indeed it does, I'll join you and bring a nice cigar :wink

Milan.

The_Equalizer
19th November 2009, 13:55
I've found a slightly battered 1983 Series 3 Land Rover rather excellent for communting round town. Happily covers the required maximum of 30mph, there's never any problem of people letting you into gaps and enough room for kids, bikes, shopping, pets etc. (although only tested the last three.)

Paddy
19th November 2009, 14:05

Milan.

For someone who spent weeks on the forum getting opinions before he upgraded to Passat I would have imagined that you would appreciate all comments. I was quite impressed when I read the differences between the BMW and Porsche 4x4s. We all think that we are driving the best cars and even you thought so with your Passat. The only 4x4 that I had was a Range Rover when I worked in Austria, not the same I know but after 30 years of driving and ten years of national car rally driving, navigating and marshalling and building my own vehicles; I would like think that I have a little more knowledge than someone from a country that was used to driving Trabants and who gets so excided with their new found wealth donated from older EU countries.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 14:11
Milan,

Get a Cayenne Turbo.

It's the fastest 4x4 around the Nurburgring and a damn sight quicker than a lot of very quick sports/hatch/saloon cars.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/243397/new_ring_record.html

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

You know it makes sense.

:happy

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 14:14
... or a BMW X6 M which has just gone round even quicker!

The_Equalizer
19th November 2009, 14:20
Or save yourself a packet and get a Classic Ranger Rover and blow the rest on crack.

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 14:20
It's the fastest 4x4 around the Nurburgring and a damn sight quicker than a lot of very quick sports/hatch/saloon cars.

...except for BMW 335i Coupe, MB C55 AMG, BMW M5, Audi S4 Avant, etc, all of which are within the bounds of good taste.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 14:21
Paddy,

happiness is, owning a Passat. I will take my Passat ownership memories with me for the rest of my life.

Maybe I'll get a tarpaulin and put it over the Passat and stick it up in the far corner of the garden, those Passats are sure to be collector's items in the future and this one is a 2003 Highline tdi !

Xeno,

I am allergic to petrols.

No kidding the X6 D has gone round the 'ring faster than a Cayenne Turbo ?

Milan.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 14:23
...except for BMW 335i Coupe, MB C55 AMG, BMW M5, Audi S4 Avant, etc, all of which are within the bounds of good taste.

Don't make me type out the ones it is quicker than.

:grin

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 14:24
Don't make me type out the ones it is quicker than.

:grinp-a-s-s-a-t

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 14:24
Edward Woodward,

you know what, if I lived in blighty for regular not so far journey's i'd run either a classic Range Rover, or Landrover - pre 1973 (admittedly not so many Range Rovers around that age) and take advantage of the tax free status and ease of maintenance and reliability.

You could buy a 1972 Range Rover or Landrover on ebay for a grand, get it restored for 10 and then run it as a daily driver, tax free and classic car insurance, based upon the collector's value depretiation would be slow to the extreme and stop at a certain point and you would get out of the road tax

dunno why more people do not do the same

recently there was a Velar on ebay.

Milan.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 14:25
Xeno,

Milan.

Ah, so diesel it needs to be then. I understand that.

The X6 M is at #130 on the list I posted a link to. That, however, is a petrol X6 (twin-turbo 4.4L V8).

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 14:31
Paddy,

happiness is, owning a Passat. I will take my Passat ownership memories with me for the rest of my life.

Maybe I'll get a tarpaulin and put it over the Passat and stick it up in the far corner of the garden, those Passats are sure to be collector's items in the future and this one is a 2003 Highline tdi !

Xeno,

Milan.X6, Cayenne, Toerag etc are agents' cars.

The_Equalizer
19th November 2009, 14:33
Edward Woodward,

you know what, if I lived in blighty for regular not so far journey's i'd run either a classic Range Rover, or Landrover - pre 1973 (admittedly not so many Range Rovers around that age) and take advantage of the tax free status and ease of maintenance and reliability.

You could buy a 1972 Range Rover or Landrover on ebay for a grand, get it restored for 10 and then run it as a daily driver, tax free and classic car insurance, based upon the collector's value depretiation would be slow to the extreme and stop at a certain point and you would get out of the road tax

dunno why more people do not do the same

recently there was a Velar on ebay.

Milan.

Partly because it is a bit of a pain having an older wagon and, well people like to be a bit flash don't they? I've never understood buying a new car when you can buy a 10-year-old smoker for no money - perhaps people can help me out here. Why not run an old Merc, Beemer or Jag for no money?

That said the old man a life long old smoker driver went out an bought his first brand new wagon aged 65.

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 14:55
you want an old Merc,

they have some beautiful examples here...

http://www.bizzbuzinezz.nl/index_e.html

Milan.

The_Equalizer
19th November 2009, 15:00
you want an old Merc,

they have some beautiful examples here...

http://www.bizzbuzinezz.nl/index_e.html

Milan.

I once did a week's work experience for the auction house Brooks (now Bonhams). Got pushed about in a Gullwing across Olympia and up on to a car transporter. To get into the driver's seat you need to press a buttom that flips the steering wheel up allowing your legs to get past. Thought I'd share that with you all.

Peoplesoft bloke
19th November 2009, 18:49
X5.

Says "I'm a coont, I don't give a flying toss about so called Climate Change, I've got money and an exceptionally small pen1s and you are in my way loser".

Love it.

Figures

Peoplesoft bloke
19th November 2009, 18:52

Milan.

Both cars are exceptionally ugly. If you want real world experiences based on actual ownership you need

www.ihaveasmallpen1sandfeelsoinadequateihavelotsto prove.com