PDA

View Full Version : DMS document management thingummies

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 10:40
Now then, I've just had a call from an agent asking me if I'm interested in testing a 'Document Management System'. Bearing in mind that in my time I've tested emergency services call centres, GIS, mobile phone services etc (and also some boring banking stuff), would this DMS thing send me to sleep? Is it really as boring as the name suggests?

alreadypacked
19th November 2009, 10:44
My only issue with DSM is getting users to give you a set of requirment, their eyes glaze over when you ask them to explain the structure they want :bang:

cojak
19th November 2009, 10:45
Now then, I've just had a call from an agent asking me if I'm interested in testing a 'Document Management System'. Bearing in mind that in my time I've tested emergency services call centres, GIS, mobile phone services etc (and also some boring banking stuff), would this DMS thing send me to sleep? Is it really as boring as the name suggests?

Yes.

But don't let that stop you - you might enjoy it if you like picking at scabs...

:happy

SorenLorensen
19th November 2009, 10:45
No more boring than testing emergency services call centres, GIS, mobile phone services etc, I'd have thought...

Mich the Tester
19th November 2009, 10:49
No more boring than testing emergency services call centres, GIS, mobile phone services etc, I'd have thought...No, really, all that stuff was quite a good laugh. I did a good job of it too if you don't mind me saying so.

SorenLorensen
19th November 2009, 10:50
No, really, all that stuff was quite a good laugh. I did a good job of it too if you don't mind me saying so.

I don't mind at all, well done! Have a cigar. :)

TheFaQQer
19th November 2009, 11:07
One of my potential gigs is putting a new document management system in for a project for a Public Sector organization.

Overkill, but they are paying well :D

TheFaQQer
19th November 2009, 11:08
I don't mind at all, well done! Have a cigar. :)

:spel banana :banana:

They aren't banned everywhere (yet)

RichardCranium
19th November 2009, 13:37
would this DMS thing send me to sleep? Is it really as boring as the name suggests?I have put in an EDRMS (Electronic Document Record Management System) and was surprised at how straightforward it all was. The fiddly bit was getting the business to work out what their processes were so workflows could be set up. The techie stuff of scanning, indexing, storing and retrieving is very simple. The suppliers make out it is sophisticated stuff, but it really isn't.

Major areas for testing include handling of physical material - which might make a change - and checking the workflows do conform to real world processes - which may be unbearably dull.