• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8367933.stm

Energy-efficient light bulbs lose on average 22% of their brightness over their lifetime, a study has found.

In some cases they emit just 60% as much light as traditional models which are being phased out of shops, it says.

The study in Engineering and Technology magazine concluded that consumers were being misled by the bulbs' packaging.

Of the 18 energy-saving bulbs tested over 10,000 hours by the Institution of Engineering and Technology, three stopped altogether.

Critics, however, claim they can trigger migraines, make skin conditions worse and lead to other health problems.

But most friggin annoying of all is the fact the ones I seem to have ended up with take 10 minutes to reach full brightness. Until then they just slightly glow orange.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Energy-efficient light bulbs lose on average 22% of their brightness over their lifetime, a study has found.

In some cases they emit just 60% as much light as traditional models which are being phased out of shops, it says.

The study in Engineering and Technology magazine concluded that consumers were being misled by the bulbs' packaging.

Of the 18 energy-saving bulbs tested over 10,000 hours by the Institution of Engineering and Technology, three stopped altogether.

Critics, however, claim they can trigger migraines, make skin conditions worse and lead to other health problems.

But most friggin annoying of all is the fact the ones I seem to have ended up with take 10 minutes to reach full brightness. Until then they just slightly glow orange.

That's because you've bought a box of candles.

HTH.

Comment

Thank feck for that.

I have been banging on about how we've been conned by these things for yonks.

They're crap, crap, crappity crap.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

They don't work very well with those touch sensitive lamps, where you touch it once and it comes on low, then touch it again and it gets a bit brighter, then touch it once more and it comes on full brightness. With the low energy bulbs the lamp just stays the same brightness no matter how many times you touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          Thank flip for that.

I have been banging on about how we've been conned by these things for yonks.

They're crap, crap, crappity crap.
          I think they are brilliant, because the environmentalists told me so, and their research is always right, and they wouldn't lie to us.

Okay, perhaps we will need more and more of these lights, due to their reduced lifespan, but all the extra manufacturing, additional transportation and trips to the supermarket is still ok, since we are buying "green".

Trips that consume energy solely for the purpose of obtaining green energy and products don't count.

Eg, taking the old CRT telly to the dump in the Hummer is bad.

Taking the Hummer to the dump to drop off a plastic bottle in the recycling bottle bank is good.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

and don't forget the team of spacesuited cleaners you have to call in to clean up the powdered mercury if you break one.

Roll on decent LED "fir cone" bulbs.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I thought when I saw the title "Dim" that you were going to insult yourself

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Try the Philips Turbo model its almost instant brightness, also see this
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                I thought when I saw the title "Dim" that you were going to insult yourself

Try the Philips Turbo model its almost instant brightness, also see this
                Why are the wattages so low ?

I'm was used to 100w bulbs in my teens, and even then that was too dark sometimes. 30w ? pah !
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

yeah but they are really cheap - maybe as cheap as other light bulbs

having said that I have not bought any bulbs for a while so they may always have been cheap.

more to the point I am really adding anything to this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    yeah but they are really cheap - maybe as cheap as other light bulbs

having said that I have not bought any bulbs for a while so they may always have been cheap.

more to the point I am really adding anything to this thread?
                    Nope!

which is a bit unusual for you actually
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                    X