• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas break

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas break

Usually, well for the last two years, we have took the little one to disneyland in the week before christmas.

This year we had another nipper so travelling far is a pain, plus we ain't got as much spare money as previous years, so was considering a weekend in centreparcs.

I have never been to centreparcs, but know some people, especially with young families who rave about them.

Also, they put up some lights and hjave a santas grotto, but probably not as elaborate as the disney christmas activities.

So, do they compare? Are centreparcs any good?

On a side note. I searched next whitsun for a weeks break just to find out the price and it came back as £1500 for nottingham - or £600 for one in holland (De Kempervennan ???). Do they not have school holidays at this time over there? Or is it just rip off britain again?

I've not done Disney before Christmas, but have been between Christmas and New Year (assuming you mean Paris) and have also done Center Parcs at the same time.

Disney does it better, but is colder. Providing you don't mind staying in a no-frills hotel just down the road (OK, 15 minutes or so), it's probably cheaper than CP as well - under 3 is free.

That said, I have an annual pass for Disneyland Paris, which means that if I go 7 days a year (which I do!) it's cheaper. If you are thinking about going regularly, it's worth considering.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for the response faqqer.

I have done christmas at disney paris twice and have considered getting the annual passes before now, but never got them having stayed in disney hotels so passes were included. We all love it and we don't do the big rides, but enjoy the rest of it nonetheless. Christmas time is great, but as you say bloody freezing. I seem to recall you went recently, or was that someone else.

We never done centreparcs though. Is it any good for kids aged 4 (nearly 5) and 8 months?

I was, once upon a time, a keen cyclist and have our own bikes plus kiddy trailer - although I fear I will have to take it very slowly with youngest in the trailer if roads are not smooth.

Comment

If they like swimming, then CP is probably good for them - all my nephew wanted to do when we were there was to swim. Activities are expensive to do though.

If we are staying in a hotel having driven to Paris, we use the le B&B in Bussy-st-Georges. No frills approx €55 a night.

If you buy either of the better 2 annual passes, you get a discount at the hotels - might be worth considering if you go regularly. My girls (6 and 3) love it - spent three days in our campervan in the car park in October, going again in February, again in May, probably in the summer....
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I think i would be a bit disney'd out if I went that often.

Last year a princess dress was around 75-85 euros and a pint in walts was 6.5 euro which makes it a bit expensive. We bought her a princess dress in asda when we got back for around £12.

We have actually planned to get the passes before but we never made it there that time having had trouble with passports at the airport, but thats another story. We usually fly if we go, I couldn't bear seven hours of driving and two hours on a ferry.

I take it you prefer disney over CP.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
            Usually, well for the last two years, we have took the little one to disneyland in the week before christmas.

This year we had another nipper so travelling far is a pain, plus we ain't got as much spare money as previous years, so was considering a weekend in centreparcs.

I have never been to centreparcs, but know some people, especially with young families who rave about them.

Also, they put up some lights and hjave a santas grotto, but probably not as elaborate as the disney christmas activities.

So, do they compare? Are centreparcs any good?

On a side note. I searched next whitsun for a weeks break just to find out the price and it came back as £1500 for nottingham - or £600 for one in holland (De Kempervennan ???). Do they not have school holidays at this time over there? Or is it just rip off britain again?

CenterParcs just outside Paris - Lac D'Ailette. Excellent place, much better than UK CenterParcs and half the price during school holidays.
            We are going back there next Easter

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              CenterParcs just outside Paris - Lac D'Ailette. Excellent place, much better than UK CenterParcs and half the price during school holidays.
              We are going back there next Easter
              Thanks for that - that is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                I think i would be a bit disney'd out if I went that often.

Last year a princess dress was around 75-85 euros and a pint in walts was 6.5 euro which makes it a bit expensive. We bought her a princess dress in asda when we got back for around £12.

We have actually planned to get the passes before but we never made it there that time having had trouble with passports at the airport, but thats another story. We usually fly if we go, I couldn't bear seven hours of driving and two hours on a ferry.

I take it you prefer disney over CP.
                We only buy little things for the girls, and then it tends to be the exclusive stuff that you can't get anywhere else. Our annual pass gets 20% off in the shops there, though, so it's not quite as bad.

In a car we can get from home (north of Manchester) to Paris in the day. Kids are now at the stage where they are starting to get bored in the car - but that's what DVDs and Nintendo DS is for.

October took longer because the van doesn't go too fast Flying next May when we go and will stay in a Disney hotel for the first time. 20% off the hotel prices as well with the annual pass.

IIRC, the current price is €180 ish for an annual pass for 365 days access - but with 20% off shops, 20% off hotels, 10% off food, free push chair hire etc. it's more than worse it for the amount of time we spend there. This summer, if you took friends, they got a 2 park pass for €15 instead of the usual €55.

Just had our renewal forms through for next year - 18 months for the price of 12. When we bought three together, my sister (who also has an annual pass) got us 20% off and she got a year free.

The girls would rather go to Disney as well - we usually go with my sister and her family. Nephew is disabled, but loves all the rollercoasters - so we get to take him on all the big rides without needing to queue for too long with him
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  We only buy little things for the girls, and then it tends to be the exclusive stuff that you can't get anywhere else. Our annual pass gets 20% off in the shops there, though, so it's not quite as bad.

In a car we can get from home (north of Manchester) to Paris in the day. Kids are now at the stage where they are starting to get bored in the car - but that's what DVDs and Nintendo DS is for.

October took longer because the van doesn't go too fast Flying next May when we go and will stay in a Disney hotel for the first time. 20% off the hotel prices as well with the annual pass.

IIRC, the current price is €180 ish for an annual pass for 365 days access - but with 20% off shops, 20% off hotels, 10% off food, free push chair hire etc. it's more than worse it for the amount of time we spend there. This summer, if you took friends, they got a 2 park pass for €15 instead of the usual €55.

Just had our renewal forms through for next year - 18 months for the price of 12. When we bought three together, my sister (who also has an annual pass) got us 20% off and she got a year free.

The girls would rather go to Disney as well - we usually go with my sister and her family. Nephew is disabled, but loves all the rollercoasters - so we get to take him on all the big rides without needing to queue for too long with him

Thats a bit much for me - driving nearly one and half countries.

It is handy staying at one of the disney hotels. We have stayed in the two bottom end ones, cheyenne and santa fe, and both are OK for the amount of time you are in there, although not very plush for the money you pay. I have heard that the dream castle hotel is pretty good and not much more expensive and would probably be a good choice for someone with ap's, and little princesses. Would like to stay in the disney hotel one day, but it will not be for a while yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X