• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was the VAT FRS an own goal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the VAT FRS an own goal?

Has the VAT Flat Rate Scheme resulted in businesses spending less, thereby preventing investment and stopped money circulating, thereby hindering the economy.?

When the 'credit crunch' kicked in, did the VAT FRS suddenly become a bad idea for the economy?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

??

do you mean that businesses spend less because they cannot claim expenses ?

slightly puzzled

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      slightly puzzled
      So am I, hence the question.

I stayed outside the FRS not just because I was clocking up loads of expenses but also because I was cheerfully buying software, hardware and training. Knowing I could get the VAT back was a small incentive to buy stuff.

If I knew that I wasn't going to get any of the VAT back for stuff, I would be less inclined to have the company buy stuff and instead have it in my pocket.

By extrapolating this across all small businesses, are directors drawing money from the company and importing luxury goods or buying overseas holidays or wasting money pouring it into their pension pit? Money that would have been spent on investments, that is, used to buy services and products from other businesses?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        By extrapolating this across all small businesses, are directors drawing money from the company and importing luxury goods or buying overseas holidays or wasting money pouring it into their pension pit? Money that would have been spent on investments, that is, used to buy services and products from other businesses?
        I'm on the FRS. Myco have recently bought over £1000 of servers, licences and other crap.

Extrapolate that across all small businesses and it seems like a nice little earner for HMRC...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          So am I, hence the question.

I stayed outside the FRS not just because I was clocking up loads of expenses but also because I was cheerfully buying software, hardware and training. Knowing I could get the VAT back was a small incentive to buy stuff.

If I knew that I wasn't going to get any of the VAT back for stuff, I would be less inclined to have the company buy stuff and instead have it in my pocket.

got you.

It hasnt changed my behaviour, I used to see the old method as a bit of a fiddle, the FRS is less of a fiddle but easier to administer.

I probably lose 4-500quid a year. But I spend more than that on double bacon and egg butties.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
          X