• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Orange iPhone Wi Fi Limits - bizarre

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orange iPhone Wi Fi Limits - bizarre

I've just spoken with Orange about their iPhone, and what really baffles me is this: they tell me, and they double checked, that if I connect to a free public Wi Fi service (e.g. at a pub/cafe) that the usage is still counted against the 750Mb / month "fair use" limit.

e.g. I have a wireless network at home. I connect my iPhone to it. That use is deducted from the monthly allowance.

Can this be true? They tell me to get round this, remove the SIM.

What?? Really?? This sounds like it ought to be bollox, but maybe it isn't!

Does anyone know?

Sounds like I'll have to flip to O2.

W T F ?

So they are going to change the iphone software to report back how much data you've used on your private wifi? I doubt that very much.

I suspect it's just the BT openzone it comes with - check here:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms...one-terms.html
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      I've just spoken with Orange about their iPhone, and what really baffles me is this: they tell me, and they double checked, that if I connect to a free public Wi Fi service (e.g. at a pub/cafe) that the usage is still counted against the 750Mb / month "fair use" limit.

e.g. I have a wireless network at home. I connect my iPhone to it. That use is deducted from the monthly allowance.

Can this be true? They tell me to get round this, remove the SIM.

What?? Really?? This sounds like it ought to be bollox, but maybe it isn't!

Does anyone know?

Sounds like I'll have to flip to O2.
      I swapped over to O2 from Orange a few years back, IMO they have far better coverage.

Someone told me it was because it piggybacks the police network or something??
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        So they are going to change the iphone software to report back how much data you've used on your private wifi? I doubt that very much.

I suspect it's just the BT openzone it comes with - check here:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms...one-terms.html
        Yep, I even quoted that back to the folks on the phone. And they said "yes but the initial connection is done through the SIM and so the data is logged"

I'm not sure if they are morons who don't understand their own plans, or what WiFi actually is, or if this is in fact true. Googling seems to indicate that "private" WiFi usage does not count, but Orange assured me absolutely that it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Yep, I even quoted that back to the folks on the phone. And they said "yes but the initial connection is done through the SIM and so the data is logged"

I'm not sure if they are morons who don't understand their own plans, or what WiFi actually is, or if this is in fact true. Googling seems to indicate that "private" WiFi usage does not count, but Orange assured me absolutely that it did.
          How?

Sounds like tosh to me.

Comment

Maybe I'll wait until T-Mobile and Orange join forces, then I'll be able to get a signal where I live, at least. Plus this issue will have been clarified, surely.

This is SO annoying !

Comment

Sounds like crap to me. Did you jsut speak to one person or did more than one person confirm it?

Used to work the when I was in permidom and some of them don't half give out any old crappy information. I'd contact them again and escalate....

Dan

Comment

Apparently the 750mb is just "an indication of where Orange would prefer people to be":

Now Orange says that there isn't a 750MB cap and never was.

"We don't call it a cap. We don't restrict the service, and we don't charge them any more if they go over 750MB. It's just an indication of where we'd prefer people to be," an Orange spokesperson told T3's Katherine Hannaford

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...one-limit.html

Comment

They must be talking rubbish. According to Apple's iPhone user guide:
                  Block calls and maintain Wi-Fi access to the Internet:

In Settings, turn on Airplane Mode, then tap Wi-Fi to turn it on.

So you can turn the phone part of the device off, yet still use Wi-Fi. Orange are clearly either wrong, or are trying to rip their customers off.

Comment

When you say you spoke to Orange, do you mean you phoned your local Orange shop?

find a technical support line on their website and ask them.

Comment

Working...
                    X