PDA

View Full Version : Harriet Harman prosecuted over driving with mobile

HairyArsedBloke
19th November 2009, 19:14
BBC: Sminky Pinky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8369371.stm)

:music: :banana:

I've had a good day. Defo beers for me tonight.

scotspine
19th November 2009, 19:14
oi!

edit: fair dos, you got there first :)

minestrone
19th November 2009, 19:28
That picture of her on the BBC site says...

"you will be sorry for this, you will be, you WIIIIIIIIILL be"

PM-Junkie
19th November 2009, 19:30
oops...my mistake. Didn't realise HAB won the race - sorry.

The feeling remains though - let's get the death penalty temporarily applied to cases such as these.

minestrone
19th November 2009, 19:35
can I just add that it is crap journalism (I use that word loosely) by the BBC...

Harriet Harman prosecuted

then

Harriet Harman is to be prosecuted

Now I may be wrong but you cannot be prosecuted for an offence, only a crime and I think what she did was an offence. Well that is what happens here.

Anyway, if I ruled the world I would just put her in a giant meat mincer set to very slow.

shoes
19th November 2009, 19:52
Women drivers eh

PM-Junkie
19th November 2009, 19:56
...Anyway, if I ruled the world I would just put her in a giant meat mincer set to very slow.
Where do I go to vote for you? :yay:

RichardCranium
19th November 2009, 20:12
She's going to plead not guilty!

There were witnesses, FFS!

What an arrogant bitch.

What did we do so wrong to deserve such scheming, lying, law-breaking, thieving, two-faced, toe-rag bastards in charge of us?

Why aren't such scum - which is what she is - as this criticised and disowned by the constituency party members? What spineless arselickers. I'm coming to the conclusion that big party politics is inherently corrupt.

RichardCranium
8th January 2010, 21:50
Well, she got away with it.

Harriet Harman fined £350 for careless driving (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8447784.stm)

She reversed into a parked car in Camberwell, south London, last July, Westminster Magistrates' Court heard.

A second charge of driving while using a mobile phone was withdrawn.

Ms Harman, who is also House of Commons leader and equality minister, was using her mobile phone when she got into the car and throughout the low-speed incident, the court heard.

The court heard that Ms Harman already has six penalty points on her licence after being caught speeding in a 30mph zone, in 2007 and 2008. Motorists with 12 points on their licence face a ban. Ms Harman now has a total of nine.

"Ms Harman is pleased that the potential charges of leaving the scene of an accident without exchanging particulars and failing to report an accident to the police have been dropped.Because you and I would have been let off in the same circumstances, wouldn't we? :tantrum:

SantaClaus
8th January 2010, 23:28
She's an MP, so she gets a slap on the wrist.

If it was a member of the public, their license would probably be revoked.

TykeMerc
8th January 2010, 23:47

Very probably.

Driving with a mobile - 3 points
Leaving the scene of an accident - 3 - 12 points
Careless driving - 3 - 12 points

Most drivers would have got a ban or at least 9 points from that one incident starting with a clean licence, but of course the Harmonster is an MP and "important" member of her party so she gets treated very differently.

norrahe
8th January 2010, 23:53

I'm sure she also had a good solicitor, who could spin a good story for her.

Zippy
8th January 2010, 23:56
She doesn't get treated differently. Watch one of these cop chase shows (or read the papers) and you'll see that some moronic chav that pinches a car, takes it on a high speed chase and then crashes is likely to get community service and his (non-existant) licence suspended for a year. Her sentance seems fair in comparison and at least she's likely to pay the fine.

AtW
9th January 2010, 00:29
Leaving the scene of an accident - 3 - 12 points
Careless driving - 3 - 12 points

She got away with these - IMO leaving scene of an accident is a very serious offence.

Diver
9th January 2010, 00:37
She got away with these - IMO leaving scene of an accident is a very serious offence.

But MP's are above the law, she was only given a fine and three points because it became public.

MP's can also defraud the tax payers with immunity

d000hg
9th January 2010, 00:43
But MP's are above the law, she was only given a fine and three points because it became public.

MP's can also defraud the tax payers with immunityIn fairness, normally people "leave the scene of an accident" to do a runner. HH clearly made no attempt to pretend she wasn't there. She was very arrogant, but her actions were not criminally motivated.

I'm not sure how the mobile phone charge was dropped though? Did she deny using the phone?

Diver
9th January 2010, 00:45
In fairness, normally people "leave the scene of an accident" to do a runner. HH clearly made no attempt to pretend she wasn't there. She was very arrogant, but her actions were not criminally motivated.

I'm not sure how the mobile phone charge was dropped though? Did she deny using the phone?

and why didn't the police check with the service provider for confirmation of phone usage?

AtW
9th January 2010, 00:48
MP's can also defraud the tax payers with immunity

:spel

claim legitimate expenses

d000hg
9th January 2010, 00:51
and why didn't the police check with the service provider for confirmation of phone usage?Unless a witness checked the time of the incident to the nearest second it's not useful I'd imagine.

wobbegong
9th January 2010, 11:59
What did we do so wrong to deserve such scheming, lying, law-breaking, thieving, two-faced, toe-rag bastards in charge of us?

Voted Labour (in an attempt to get away from the scheming, lying, law-breaking, thieving, two-faced, toe-rag bastard Tories).

:ohwell

sunnysan
9th January 2010, 12:27
..to temporarily introduce the death penalty for driving while talking on a mobile? We can change it back in a few months.