PDA

View Full Version : Wot, no TPD?

NickFitz
20th November 2009, 00:20
:confused:

Anyway...

Finally made it down here, later than I wished because of my unfailing optimism running into the harsh reality of the M25 - well, that and setting off later than I'd planned :rolleyes:

Still, there's an exceptionally strong wind coming off the Channel, so that's a win :yay:

The hotel's good enough for what one pays, I suppose, but I still wish I'd remembered to get a room in The Grand before they were fully booked. There's more than a few hundred yards of Brighton's promenade between £320 and £110 :(

Ah well, I daresay I'll survive until the conference tomorrow. Once that's done I'll hopefully be able to find some time to sort TPD out :)

Zippy
20th November 2009, 00:29
It seems unfair that you are the last great hope but - you have the code. Sorry. :D
Did you try any of the config changes you mentioned the other day?

Don't worry about the hotel - just think of all the fresh air you are getting.

NickFitz
20th November 2009, 00:30
I should explain that I haven't just arrived here - I just couldn't post in TPD when I got here, so I wasn't sure what to do. There are some of those threads that AtW starts pretending to be TPD, but they're obviously just a way of filling the database with a waste of space.

The solution is obvious: post everything here in General, until TPD is ready for action again :)

NickFitz
20th November 2009, 00:37
It seems unfair that you are the last great hope but - you have the code. Sorry. :D
Did you try any of the config changes you mentioned the other day?

Don't worry about the hotel - just think of all the fresh air you are getting.

Hi Zip :wave:

I haven't had enough time to delve into things properly, and as far as I can determine I'll have to shell out for vBSEO as well, as that seems to override a lot of the functionality of vBulletin for its own purposes. Still, I have a strategy mapped out for determining the best way of getting CUK over it's crippling inability to cope with its primary purpose of hosting TPD :)

I'm not overly impressed by what I've read of the vB code so far; I know that 3.6.x had to be written for compatibility with PHP 4.x.x, but that doesn't excuse everything.

Still, if vBSEO can plug itself in, I may be able to produce a vBTPD plugin that will make things easy not just for now, but in the future.

Alternatively I'll have to buy CUK a decent DB server :rolleyes:

Zippy
20th November 2009, 00:38
Just posted in TPD II with no probs.

AtW knows what he's doing and he doesn't really hate TPD.

NickFitz
20th November 2009, 00:45
Just posted in TPD II with no probs.

AtW knows what he's doing and he doesn't really hate TPD.

TPD II isn't TPD, in the same way that Babycham isn't Veuve Cliquot or whatever it's called - I can't stand champagne myself, so I don't remember the names.

Maybe a standard of comparison based around Aldi Corned beef as opposed to that Japanese steak that costs a fortune would be better?

Zippy
20th November 2009, 00:48
Hi Zip :wave:

I haven't had enough time to delve into things properly, and as far as I can determine I'll have to shell out for vBSEO as well, as that seems to override a lot of the functionality of vBulletin for its own purposes. Still, I have a strategy mapped out for determining the best way of getting CUK over it's crippling inability to cope with its primary purpose of hosting TPD :)

I'm not overly impressed by what I've read of the vB code so far; I know that 3.6.x had to be written for compatibility with PHP 4.x.x, but that doesn't excuse everything.

Evening :wave

Still, if vBSEO can plug itself in, I may be able to produce a vBTPD plugin that will make things easy not just for now, but in the future.

Alternatively I'll have to buy CUK a decent DB server :rolleyes:

It won't be just to save TPD. I don't know how the site is set up and no idea what the vB code looks like but my nose says check the db code first (is it embedded in the vB code? <shudder>). That was my last job that was - except it was SQL Server.

:wave:

NickFitz
20th November 2009, 01:03
It won't be just to save TPD. I don't know how the site is set up and no idea what the vB code looks like but my nose says check the db code first (is it embedded in the vB code? <shudder>). That was my last job that was - except it was SQL Server.

Oh, it's a shameful sight: SQL queries are constructed by string concatenation :eek:

I've also found indications that some of the fields used in such important matters as WHERE clauses don't have indexes set on them - and aren't even relevant to the query in a normal configuration :confused:

The magic number "10" is something that a certain field (not indexed) should not be equal to in around 99.99% of cases... Lord only knows what they're up to there :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd better be crashing out if I'm to be bright-eyed and lacking a tail at the conference tomorrow :tired

Goodnight Zippy, and all other denizens, if any more there be :wave:

Zippy
20th November 2009, 01:06
Oh dear. Oh dear. :suicide:

I like Babycham and Veuve - it depends on who is paying :D

Night NF :wave:

scotspine
20th November 2009, 09:23
would have been better to go with a proper d/base and platform instead of all this script kiddie stuff. hope you manage to get something sorted out nf.

DimPrawn
20th November 2009, 09:39
The site is lightning fast for me now. Seriously blazingly fast.

Whatever has been done has fixed the slow site for me.

DiscoStu
20th November 2009, 10:01
The site is lightning fast for me now. Seriously blazingly fast.

Whatever has been done has fixed the slow site for me.

I clicked the reply button to agree with you, then it took about 45 seconds for the text box to appear :eyes

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:52
testing...

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:53
seems ok to me...

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:54
"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 20 seconds."

yup

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:54
but is it always thus?

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:55
it requires testing.

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:56
benchmarking

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:56
baselining, testing and analysis.

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:57
mind you panic, hedging and scapegoating are pretty popular too

DS23
20th November 2009, 10:59
polling and pissing in the wind are frequently favoured

DS23
20th November 2009, 11:00
ignore and pretend it never happened is a good one

DS23
20th November 2009, 11:00
suck it and see?

DS23
20th November 2009, 11:02
got no problems at all. which means if everything is shut down the board could go supersonic.

EternalOptimist
20th November 2009, 11:02
suck it and see?

i see

EternalOptimist
20th November 2009, 11:03
suck it and see?

what you mean

Bagpuss
20th November 2009, 11:04
There is life outside of TPD, take up a hobby, make new friends, discover the great outdoors. Choose life!

DS23
20th November 2009, 11:17
but i want it all!

realityhack
20th November 2009, 14:01
2.5 seconds for the reply box to appear...

realityhack
20th November 2009, 14:02
Aprox 1.5 for the post to be applied to the thread.

NickFitz
20th November 2009, 22:00
Evening denizens :wave:

Home again :banana:

Now to head off past any bits of that wonderful Victorian bridge that haven't been demolished yet to the final Friday night at my local of twenty-one years, which is being forced to close next week (despite being a thriving business) pending demolition :suicide:

Board Game Geek
21st November 2009, 01:14

my local of twenty-one years, which is being forced to close next week (despite being a thriving business) pending demolition :suicide:

Who is forcing this, and why, if it is a thriving business ?

The only reason a thriving business (if that is what it is) would close would be because another business / opportunity in its place could make more money.

Hence, the chain (if there is one involved) seeks to build a bigger and better (YMMV) pub on the site, with more facilities.

Altermatively, the chain or Freeholder Publican is considering an offer from a developer to knock the lot down and whack down some flats for a tasty ££££.

In which case, why don't people come clean about these things ?

Put up a sign outside saying "Dear Customers. We're in the process of considering a £2million offer for our humble pub, from a Developer to build some flats. The offer is too good to refuse, and we are going to f**k off to live on a beach in Oz, so this gaff is shutting down. Cheers for your business."

At least it would be honest, and dispel rumours.

RichardCranium
21st November 2009, 01:20
Who is forcing this, and why, if it is a thriving business ?NF has been giving us updates in TPD about this.

IIRC it is the Leicester University who have ideas to do something with the land.

Edits:
Link (http://forums.contractoruk.com/986299-post202371.html). de Montfort University.

Zippy
21st November 2009, 01:24
It's not Leicester Uni, it's De Montfort (used to be the Poly). The business owner doesn't want the place to close but it's been coming for a long time.

NickFitz
21st November 2009, 04:25
Edits:
Link (http://forums.contractoruk.com/986299-post202371.html). de Montfort University.

It's not Leicester Uni, it's De Montfort (used to be the Poly). The business owner doesn't want the place to close but it's been coming for a long time.

WTS.

(I almost panicked there; movement in the corner of my eye led me to think for a moment that some kind of insect had invaded the screen on my MacBook, but it turned out to be the top of the dancing banana poking over the fold :laugh)

The story runs thus: some months ago, DMU (De Motic University) announced that it wanted to demolish the Bowstring Bridge, the related arches, and the Pump and Tap public house so it could ruin the area even more ^H^H^H^H build a swimming pool.

The local community was immediately up in arms; there has been a campaign to save the bridge since the Council started making noises about it four or five years ago; and it was indeed a thing of the kind of beauty that would be appreciated by anybody who enjoyed James May's Meccano programme on the telly recently. Actually, lots of people who aren't geeks loved it, and prized it for the contribution its aesthetic character made to this part of town.

Faced with a kerfuffle, the City Council and DMU hastily backtracked: no decision had been made, it would be a long time before anything happened, there were no firm plans, and all those kinds of lies.

A few months later, a Council document was leaked to the local rag: negotiations had continued behind closed doors, and the Council was going to allow the demolition of the bridge by DMU. When challenged, the Council merely said that the discussions had been held in secret because of "commercial confidentiality".

(If your nose wrinkles with the stench of obviously corrupt activity at this point, then join the club. Although of course there can't have been anything of the kind, as Leicester City Council couldn't possibly be involved in a corrupt arrangement with the powers that be in De Monstrous University. To suggest otherwise might be actionable.)

So, the bridge was going, despite the wishes of the community. But what of the pub?

It seems that DMU and LCC didn't fancy fighting a war on two fronts: we were told that (guess what?) nothing had been decided, there might not be any need to demolish the pub (which dates to around 1846 IIRC), blah blah blah.

The problem was that DMU owned the land on which the pub sits, for various complicated reasons related to the owners' attempts to redevelop the bridge and the area a few years ago - they paid over a large sum to the authorities to obtain the rights to do so, but were then stymied by the authorities in all their plans. In the end this cost them so much that they had to relinquish said rights back to the Council, which immediately sold them to DMU.

It would be wrong of me to suggest that the Council and DMU were hand-in-glove on this and that the owners of the pub were stitched up like a kipper. I hardly need to add that the idea that the Council and DMU regard this community and their views with utter contempt is clearly not correct.

To get back to the narrative: it seemed for a while that the plan was to get rid of the bridge, let sleeping dogs lie for a while, then get rid of the pub: this is merely conjecture on my part, but it may have been thought that once the bridge was gone, nobody would be too bothered about the pub.

Unfortunately for them, it's not just some crappy old alehouse: if they knew anything about the neighbourhood they are desecrating (and their statements to the Press make it clear that they neither know nor care) they would have realised that the place is more a legend than a pub.

Once they did realise that they'd just have to go through the same stink twice, they decide to get it all over with, and announced near the end of October that the pub's lease (which those concerned had previously found reason to believe was safe for next couple of years, and possibly for the long term) would be terminated on 27 November.

So that's ten people out of work in time for Christmas, a fine community resource eradicated, a building of great architectural character demolished, and a thriving business closed down.

Oh, and for me, that's twenty-one years of memories that will just be memories, although I'll always have a three-stitch long scar by my right eyebrow to remember it by. I used to be assistant manager of that place you know. (I wish I'd seen that little bastard coming; but how was I to know it was his brother I'd just pulled off the other bloke?)

They justify their actions on the basis that the community would like a swimming pool, presumably to replace the one nearby that the Council knocked down the other year and sold to developers to make a shopping centre. This swimming pool will be owned by DMU, but supposedly they will allow normal people to use it. Dunno how that will work; I suspect it will be open to The Public every third Tuesday afternoon out of term.

I have no doubt that the land will lie empty for three years, after which they'll build student accommodation on it, as that earns money for DMU. I very much doubt that there will ever be a swimming pool - the supposed justification for this vandalism.

Twenty years ago I sometimes wondered if I was excessively cynical in thinking that greed, lust for power, and contempt for all of us were the defining characteristics of those politicians who obtain control of our world.

I now believe that I have been insufficiently realistic.

threaded
21st November 2009, 05:54
WTS.

<snip>

I now believe that I have been insufficiently realistic.

You're getting a Tescos.

HTH

(Remember you read it here first.)

NickFitz
21st November 2009, 06:35
You're getting a Tescos.

HTH

(Remember you read it here first.)

:laugh

Although I think DMU can make even more money from student accommodation than from Tesco. God knows they need it if they're to cope with the ever-increasing number of students.

At the start of the current academic year they "temporarily" placed non-car-owning first year female students in the motel at LFE services on the M1. I know the access road (http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.622318,-1.206501&spn=0.007034,0.018325&t=h&z=16) to that service station well, and I'm dubious about walking down it in the daytime given its proximity to one of the worst estates in the city. To put young women in the position of having to walk down it alone at night is a gross dereliction of DMU's duty of care IMNSHO.

TinTrump
21st November 2009, 07:29
First I've heard/read about the Pump & Tap. Did a quick search and found excellent reviews; just the sort of pub I'd enjoy. Always saddens me to see such places disappear. :(

norrahe
21st November 2009, 17:04
The pub as we know it is disappearing, what we are being left with is mass produced wine bars, weatherspoons and the like or the bars we used to frequent for a decent pint have started peddling (sub par) food as a means to generate income.

Up to July this year there were 824 pub closures according to the LDC.

With a possible move from the government under pressure from the British medical council we will see increased tax levies on alcohol which will sound the death knell for even more businesses.

Zippy
21st November 2009, 17:28
First I've heard/read about the Pump & Tap. Did a quick search and found excellent reviews; just the sort of pub I'd enjoy. Always saddens me to see such places disappear. :(

It's a wonderful pub. You can go in there in a crowd or on your own.
They used to do free soup and bread on a Sunday, so you could go for a light lunch and a pint. My friend and I used to do the pub quiz and we won a couple of times - 12 pints and a box of crisps <hic>. And you could take your dogs/rats/parrots/whatever with you.

These are sad times indeed. Give it a good send off NF.

A very pissed off Zip.

NickFitz
21st November 2009, 18:21
Up to July this year there were 824 pub closures according to the LDC.

With a possible move from the government under pressure from the British medical council we will see increased tax levies on alcohol which will sound the death knell for even more businesses.

That's one of the things that's really hacking people off about this. All over the place pubs are shutting down (or being revamped as vertical drinking bars) because they are no longer viable businesses.

This however is a thriving pub and a successful business providing employment to ten people, and it's being shut down because DMU got bored with being an educational institution and wants to play at being a property developer instead :mad

NickFitz
21st November 2009, 18:23
It's a wonderful pub. You can go in there in a crowd or on your own.
They used to do free soup and bread on a Sunday, so you could go for a light lunch and a pint. My friend and I used to do the pub quiz and we won a couple of times - 12 pints and a box of crisps <hic>. And you could take your dogs/rats/parrots/whatever with you.

These are sad times indeed. Give it a good send off NF.

A very pissed off Zip.

It was good stuff that soup - the owners also own a couple of rather posh restaurants, and it was made by the chefs at one of them :tongue

Was that when Keith and Gav set the quiz? Our team won it every week for over three months at one point :laugh

Zippy
21st November 2009, 18:46
I
Was that when Keith and Gav set the quiz? Our team won it every week for over three months at one point :laugh

You may have won loads. Then we came along - with a cute dog :tongue
I remember the muttering the first week we won (it was the first time we'd done it)
Can't remember who set the quiz but those names do seem familiar.

NickFitz
22nd November 2009, 04:22
Well, that was a heck of a final Saturday night down the P&T :happy

Of course there were lots of those types who haven't been there in fifteen years, and now turn up to say very loudly what a shame it all is and how much they'll miss the place :rolleyes:

Still, there were lots of good people who had good reasons for not having been there in ages but made the time, and in many cases the journey - some people had travelled quite a distance, staying in hotels for the sake of being there :yay:

Oi, Zippy: was Cody still manager when you were going there? He showed up, despite his abiding resentment of the owners.

Many years ago J&A found an excuse to sack me so they could put him in my place. Then a few months later they found an excuse to sack Colin (my manager) and put Cody in charge because they knew they could control him easily. But none of that was his fault, and he's a good chap; and he was eventually fscked over in his turn (hence the abiding resentment). He works as a developer for one of the big anti-virus companies now :freaky:

I don't think anybody's ever left on good terms with J&A. Still, that was all a long time ago, and as I said to Keith recently: "You can't beat harbouring a deep-seated resentment over something that doesn't matter any more if you want a short and curmudgeonly life."

The friend who sold the Super Monkey Car to me was there too - that's Gav, who used to be the quizmaster along with Keith (who was also there, although that's not quite so unexpected). Gav and his wife Helen don't make it out much now, having twin girls; but they were there tonight, and he was pleased to hear that the car had just got through its MoT and was now at over 172,727 miles (it was on 103,408 when he sold it to me) :)

So now there's tomorrow night, I'm away on Monday, and Tuesday is Death Row for the pub :(

Zippy
22nd November 2009, 10:45
I remember Cody - a really nice guy :)

Sorry I can't be there for the wake.

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 01:01

How come TPD hasn't been re-instated yet? :confused:

Anyway, had a good chat with John the landlord again tonight (this is, of course, in the away pub, not the home pub).

We started off with him wanting to know how to calculate how much the heating lamps in the beer garden were costing him. After I'd explained the relationship between W, kW, kWh, and so forth (musicians, eh? :rolleyes:) he eventually established that it wasn't too much.

Apparently some pubs are taking advantage of the smoking ban by putting pay meters on such lamps - 50p for seven minutes :eek:

By his calculations, they cost him less than twenty pence an hour to run, so such places are perpetrating a blatant rip-off :mad:

Then we got on to chatting about assorted people - it turns out Roger McGough and Adrian Henri (who is of course now sadly deceased) are/were old friends of his, so we were able to swap a few stories about them - well, a few on his part, one on mine :o

Last night of the home pub tomorrow - don't worry Zip, we'll give it a good send-off. Shame you can't be there though :(

Zippy
24th November 2009, 01:19
Really, really wishing I could be there. Sorry Nick :(

You made some progress on TPD? Did you implement those config tweaks?
I haven't noticed any problems over the last few days but did for a day or two after the thread was locked.

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 01:28
Really, really wishing I could be there. Sorry Nick :(

You made some progress on TPD? Did you implement those config tweaks?
I haven't noticed any problems over the last few days but did for a day or two after the thread was locked.

Hi Zip

Don't worry - we'll see it off in style for you :freaky:

I haven't had much time for dealing with the vBulletin database stuff, what with the conference and the pub and ClientOrg :o

I need to set up some servers so I can test things properly - it's no good suggesting bits and bobs, I need to be able to state with certainty that something will effect a material improvement, and I can't do any of that at ClientOrg (where the security policy, if strictly interpreted, would ban me from using my phone other than for phone calls, never mind using either their or my own kit for SSHing to a bunch of servers over the pond). I'm on the case when I can be though :nerd

Anyway, goodnight denizens - try not to let that picture of the foul witch that some inconsiderate git linked to give you nightmares :wave:

administrator
24th November 2009, 01:34
Don't fret Nick, have ordered a memory upgrade for the server. Should be sorted in the next week and from previous experience this will make a heck of a difference.

Zippy
24th November 2009, 01:47
Don't fret Nick, have ordered a memory upgrade for the server. Should be sorted in the next week and from previous experience this will make a heck of a difference.

It might fix in the short term, but it is still worth persisting with for the longer term. AtW is going to be gutted if he doesn't get the 300k post in TPD :D
Good news on the memory though - databases luuurrve memory :yay:

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 01:50

Nice one admin - many thanks :yay:

I'm still aware that vBulletin is known for struggling with long threads, so I'll carry on with my efforts. If something can be done that helps to prevent future problems, whilst not causing any issues for you with things like future upgrades, then it's still worth doing.

If you end up needing a new rack of mighty database servers and RAID arrays to keep TPD going, we'll have a whip-round - I'll be first to chip in :)

It might be worth seeing if the posts in that non-TPD "TPD ii" thread can be incorporated back into TPD - although they're clearly in the wrong place, I'm sure they were posted with the best of intentions. I'll see if I can devise a way of doing that without any great pain to yourself, if you're interested :bang:

Only the ones after TPD was locked though - those before that can remain over there, dropping into the distant past, as a warning to the presumptuous ;)

administrator
24th November 2009, 01:55
Yeak definitely good to look at any DB optimisation tweaks. Not had time to look at indexes but can imagine they are not set up. We are doing well in terms of thread length compared to other long threads I have seen - and this is on a pretty weak box, is only an amd 4200 and 2GB RAM. Will bump the RAM up to 4GB and should give some breathing space. Thanks for looking so far, is appreciated.

Zippy
24th November 2009, 02:10
:laugh

Just got an error when attempting to access CUK (network timeout, not db error). Tried other websites and it was fine.
The universe is 'avin a larf ...

RichardCranium
24th November 2009, 08:50
How come TPD hasn't been re-instated yet? :confused:Because it is easier to apologise after the event than to explain beforehand. It is something the current government has taught many people.

We started off with him wanting to know how to calculate how much the heating lamps in the beer garden were costing him.Not enough. Those things should have been banned the week they first appeared in this country. They are an abomination and it should be an offence to be in possession of one.

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 09:48
Not enough. Those things should have been banned the week they first appeared in this country. They are an abomination and it should be an offence to be in possession of one.

Not those gas-powered patio heaters, which are indeed a bad thing - he's got infra-red lamps on a time switch, usually set to around five minutes, so they need somebody to actually be there to press the button. Not as energy-efficient as lifting the smoking ban, mind... :smokin

TimberWolf
24th November 2009, 14:19
CUK seems worse than ever today. For hang-ups that is, not just the 'quality' of the posts.

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 14:22
CUK seems worse than ever today. For hang-ups that is, not just the 'quality' of the posts.

Fixing it for TPD should fix it for everything else too :smokin

TPD to the rescue! :happy

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 14:44
Speak of the devil :devil

Database error
The database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the forums.contractoruk.com home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The forums.contractoruk.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

:throw:

voodooflux
24th November 2009, 14:45
Database error

Seen a fair few of those today.

DimPrawn
24th November 2009, 14:45
It's not TPD it's the mickey mouse database platform.

Get yourselves an industrial strength DB such as MS SQL Server.

TheFaQQer
24th November 2009, 14:59
Fixing it for TPD should fix it for everything else too :smokin

TPD to the rescue! :happy

Sadly, it will never fix the quality of posts issue.

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 14:59
It's not TPD it's the mickey mouse database platform.

Get yourselves an industrial strength DB such as MS SQL Server.

How much will that cost for a commercial web use license?

And are you ready to pay a subscription fee for the use of the CUK forums, to subsidise Microsoft's exorbitant licensing costs? :rolleyes:

PRC1964
24th November 2009, 15:05

And are you ready to pay a subscription fee for the use of the CUK forums, to subsidise Microsoft's exorbitant licensing costs? :rolleyes:

Sql Server Express is free. It does only support 1 Gb of RAM though.

DimPrawn
24th November 2009, 15:08

For a processor licence for web serving it costs about $3,700.

That's all.

Stick a PayPal link on here, £1 a post.

Sorteeeeeed.

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 15:10
Sql Server Express is free. It does only support 1 Gb of RAM though.

It's also limited to 4GB of database...

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 15:11
For a processor licence for web serving it costs about $3,700.

That's all.

Sorteeeeeed.

You should cover that with a few days' worth of your "doom" links :laugh

DimPrawn
24th November 2009, 15:11

Is CUK larger than 4GB?

Pondlife
24th November 2009, 15:17

Sorteeeeeed.

Total Posts: £15,174

You really are a millionaire DP. Respect.

Zippy
24th November 2009, 15:18
Oi NickFitz - shouldn't you be in the pub?

PRC1964
24th November 2009, 15:20
Per database excluding the log files. You can have more than one database though. You could even have a dedicated TPD database.

NickFitz
24th November 2009, 15:38
Oi NickFitz - shouldn't you be in the pub?

It won't be open yet - opens at 17:00 on weekdays I think (it was 18:00 when I was there).

Heading back from ClientOrg in a couple of hours - I should be there for around eight. Hope they've saved some beer for me :frown

NickFitz
25th November 2009, 03:37
Christ on a crutch with a Crunchie bar between his teeth, I am bollocksed :freaky:

The last night of the pub was something else. Then it was something else in addition to that. And then something else again :happy

I'm not sure that I truly deserve it, but the very last pint of real ale to come out of that cellar was dispensed into my glass. (They gave me the just-under-half-pint that was left in the line as a freeby.)

I mean, drinking there for twenty-one years, including two years working there (rising to the dizzy heights of assistant manager) and then getting the last drop of real ale to come out of the cellar when the bar is five deep - that's just weird :freaky:

It's either mere luck or the cellar has a fondness for me. Probably mere luck :rolleyes:

Then Cody (whom God preserve) went to the bar for himself and his good lady, and also bought me a drink at a point when it was not "What would you like" so much as "Here's what we have." He got me the end of the last bottle of Maker's Mark :tongue

It was while I worked there that Maker's Mark was first marketed in the UK, and I sampled the first bottle to arrive in the pub. Now I've finished the last bottle :happy

There've been some wonderful coincidences tonight - I only wish I could record them in TPD where they belong, but at least they'll brighten up General. This place could do with a whiff of happiness to counter the acrid stench of cynicism :)

Flubster
25th November 2009, 07:30
Christ on a crutch with a Crunchie bar between his teeth, I am bollocksed :freaky:
snip...
For someone who was clearly half-cut (by their own admission), that was an extremely well constructed post. Well done and hope the hangover is inversely proportional to the good time you had last night.

NickFitz
25th November 2009, 14:43
For someone who was clearly half-cut (by their own admission), that was an extremely well constructed post. Well done and hope the hangover is inversely proportional to the good time you had last night.

Cheers :happy

Unfortunately the hangover appears to be O(n^2) :frown :sick :suicide:

Zippy
25th November 2009, 14:47

Well done that man :yay:

NickFitz
25th November 2009, 15:08
Just had a call from the agency - ClientOrg had contacted them wondering where I was today :laugh

This is despite the fact that I arranged to take today off a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes:

NickFitz
25th November 2009, 22:37

I'm impressed - the hangover was so severe that it was only after it wore off that I realised how bad this cold is :laugh :sick :(

RichardCranium
25th November 2009, 22:45
I'm impressed - the hangover was so severe that it was only after it wore off that I realised how bad this cold is :laugh :sick :(I get hangover colds too.

Ready for some feminine intuitive witchcraft?

The Missus says alcohol trashes your body's stock of Vitamin C. This makes your body's immune system weak. So, while drunk, the germs you pick up get a chance to attack you. Then, while you are sleeping off your drunkenness / hangover, your body is so busy clearing up chemicals and busy being poisoned, that it is in no fit state to react to the build-up of breeding germs. By the time your headache is starting to clear, a cold has already set in.

There is no evidence to back this up other than her observations of the piss-heads she is related to by blood or marriage.

NickFitz
25th November 2009, 23:17
I get hangover colds too.

Ready for some feminine intuitive witchcraft?

The Missus says alcohol trashes your body's stock of Vitamin C. This makes your body's immune system weak. So, while drunk, the germs you pick up get a chance to attack you. Then, while you are sleeping off your drunkenness / hangover, your body is so busy clearing up chemicals and busy being poisoned, that it is in no fit state to react to the build-up of breeding germs. By the time your headache is starting to clear, a cold has already set in.

There is no evidence to back this up other than her observations of the piss-heads she is related to by blood or marriage.

All well and good; but I had the cold before I started :o

I think it was brought over by the Dutch attendees at the conference last week: several of them had been whingeing on Twitter about [colds|flu] beforehand; now I see on Twitter that a friend from London who was at the conference is also diseased :rolleyes:

RichardCranium
26th November 2009, 07:55
All well and good; but I had the cold before I startedSee. I told you it was witchcraft.

NickFitz
27th November 2009, 00:41
This cold really is a bugger :sick

I'm not one to do the "man flu" thing (being single there really isn't any point) but I wouldn't be overly surprised to learn that I do, indeed, have flu - presumably that new-fangled one there's been so much fuss about but which is apparently quite mild (for flu).

The general symptoms, particularly the aching of the joints and temperature increase, would tend to support such a conjecture :(

Ah well, in a hundred years we'll all be dead and none of it will matter :)

NickFitz
29th November 2009, 03:34
What a depressing weekend :(

Driving back up the A14 I was (of course) stuck in a traffic jam. "Never mind," I thought from time to time, "Soon you'll be home; have dinner (tea?), have a shower, get down the pub :happy" - and then remembered (each time) that there is no pub now :(

Having made it home, and all the needful having been taken care of, I ventured forth: it really is disconcerting when you leave your home with no clear idea of where you actually intend to go. I decided to try a place that quite a few people have spoken well of: excellent ale, no aggro, and so forth.

I used to live down the road from this place, about thirty seconds walk away, and would pop in there occasionally. It was OK, slightly dingy (+1) and had a decent atmosphere. Since then (then being eighteen years ago) it's changed breweries from the big local one to a smaller independent one known for the quality of its ale. Unfortunately the end result is a bit like going for a pint in a supermarket. No aggro, and the ale is indeed well-kept; but honestly, the place is utterly bereft of character. It could be a good pub, if only it had something about it. I had one pint, drank it quite quickly, and left :(

Onwards to the good but rather dull pub near the old place. It's a great pub in many ways, but it's small and although it has character in bucketloads, it's always been the kind of place I only pop into now and then: you know that if something happens that will change the world forever, it won't happen there, unlike the P&T where such a thing would seem natural, inevitable, and right.

There I found one of the other lost souls, who happens to be a journalist on the local rag. He told me that he'd stayed in the office until nearly half-ten, polishing a story, and kept finding himself thinking "Once I'm done, I can get down the P&T" - before realising that no, he couldn't :(

He asked if I'd been encountering the same thing, and I told him about my A14 experience.

He too had tried the place-lacking-in-character; in fact he was under orders to do so. He told me that his partner hasn't really bothered coming out since The Closing. She prefers to just go home and mope, for she doesn't really like any of the known options very much, and so he is trying all the alternatives in the hope of finding a place that she might like.

I know how she feels :(

Ah well, that was last night (Friday); I'm going to have some supper and watch The Thick Of It now. I may post later about tonight's search (Saturday), or I may leave it until tomorrow. Hint: I feel even more fed up tonight than I did after last night :(

RichardCranium
29th November 2009, 09:54
The ClosingMay I make so bold as to suggest you rewrite that without smilies then send it to the editor of the local paper. I should have thought it warrants half a page.

And/or get it up on your blog, if you haven't already.

And while you're at it, blog your experiences of each of the boozers while they are fresh in your mind.

Keep that up for a few weeks and there will be a very small Plan B available to you: making £10 a month from local shops selling your guide to the town's pubs.

WTF is RC on about? Back when I was working for an on-demand digitial publishing house, we had a few people doing such things: writing about local history, buildings or families and selling small books or booklets that we printed. It was only pin money but they were doing it either as a hobby or to get theselves established enough to launch their other book, the one they wanted on the national market.

end of random thunks.

BrilloPad
30th November 2009, 14:15
Only 1 call in the support bucket today. The user asked me to do it so I will leave it until someone else does it. Its the only way to show the users their place.

NickFitz
1st December 2009, 00:53
So, Saturday night... :ind

This time I headed to a pub on the edge of the City Centre - dangerous territory (DMU is in the way, and the wonderful improvements they've made to their campus have turned it into a Seventies-style haven for muggers), but it's run by the brother of the (now-ex-)manager of the P&T, the ale is very good, and some people from a pub I worked in in the Nineties go there.

Got there; the ale is indeed very good.

The manager wasn't there, and neither were any of the other crowd :(

The girlfriend of the (now-ex-)assistant manager of the P&T works there. "Hello!" she said on seeing me standing at the bar. "What are you doing here?" Then she suddenly remembered.

"Oh God, of course... All night I've kept thinking of going down there for a drink after work as usual [this place closes at eleven], and then remembering :("

Ho hum. The place isn't really my style (it's OK when Attila the Stockbroker does a gig down there, but that's not exactly often given that he lives in Brighton) so I drank my pint and left for the rather dull place.

To get there, I had to go past the P&T. Although the lease only ended on Friday, it was already surrounded by scaffolding, razor wire, signs advertising scaffolding firms, and was boarded up :(

"By the waters of the River Soar (http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.63227,-1.144067&spn=0.000879,0.002291&t=h&z=19), I sat down and wept" - with apologies to T S Eliot

More of the now-usual lamentation in the nice-but-dull pub (along with some interesting conversation about things like Sue Townsend's first draft of Adrian Mole - I seem to be the only person left apart from her who remembers that he was originally a year younger and called Nigel).

On Sunday, I simply resorted to the nice-but-dull pub, on the grounds that I would at least be able to find somewhere to sit and read Private Eye. On the way however I went round the block to get some photos of the P&T in its death throes.

It was even more boarded up, and they'd already started tearing it down. That means that DMU is actually paying overtime rates to have people working Saturday and Sunday to eradicate the place as rapidly as possible.

Six weeks ago, DMU were still saying that they hadn't made any decision and that there might be no need to get rid of the pub. Five weeks ago they announced that it had to shut down last week.

I think they've realised just what a massive PR disaster this whole thing has turned into for them, and believe that the sooner they knock everything down, the sooner it will go away.

But it won't. They don't get rid of twenty-one years of thousands of people's lives that easily :devil

NickFitz
6th December 2009, 03:51
Oh, FFS :tantrum:

As if I didn't already have enough unwished-for changes in my life, Mr J Sainsbury has just mutated the local branch of his grocery into something bigger and (I am constantly assured) better. Of course, this means that one no longer knows where everything is :eyes

I've just noticed that, during my brief sojourn there on the way back from London, I bought toilet roll when I wanted kitchen roll :mad

Looking at this from a usability perspective, why do they put toilet roll and kitchen roll in identical packaging, such that you have to actually read the packaging or examine the contents to be sure which one you're getting? Fine, they're both from the "recycled" range (whose name I can't even remember, so their branding of that range is irrelevant or at least ineffective) but couldn't they at least make them with different designs or something? Obviously different colours would be too much to ask, as it has to be green if it's recycled; but maybe just different shades of green, so customers can distinguish them at a glance?

In case anybody thinks I'm making too much of this, consider the implications if Windows Update shoved some stuff on your machine that quietly changed the button in the lower left so that it no longer said "Start" but instead said "Format C:". When you sat down at your machine the next day, would you notice before you clicked on it?

Ah well, with Christmas coming up maybe I'll find a use for the bog roll :rolleyes:

NickFitz
23rd December 2009, 01:32
...and that's my last night at The Castle Inn :ohwell

I ended up, once again, having a long chat with John (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Halsey_(musician)) after everybody had gone, which resulted in me missing the Shipping Forecast; but that's OK. It's quite an honour when the man who was drummer in The Rutles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles), and on Lou Reed's Transformer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_(album)), says that for the past few months he's looked forward to having a chat with one, and will miss one now one's gone :o

Churchill
23rd December 2009, 08:23
...and that's my last night at The Castle Inn :ohwell

I ended up, once again, having a long chat with John (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Halsey_(musician)) after everybody had gone, which resulted in me missing the Shipping Forecast; but that's OK. It's quite an honour when the man who was drummer in The Rutles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles), and on Lou Reed's Transformer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_(album)), says that for the past few months he's looked forward to having a chat with one, and will miss one now one's gone :o

How can I miss you if you won't leave?