• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot, no TPD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot, no TPD?

Anyway...

Finally made it down here, later than I wished because of my unfailing optimism running into the harsh reality of the M25 - well, that and setting off later than I'd planned

Still, there's an exceptionally strong wind coming off the Channel, so that's a win

The hotel's good enough for what one pays, I suppose, but I still wish I'd remembered to get a room in The Grand before they were fully booked. There's more than a few hundred yards of Brighton's promenade between £320 and £110

Ah well, I daresay I'll survive until the conference tomorrow. Once that's done I'll hopefully be able to find some time to sort TPD out

It seems unfair that you are the last great hope but - you have the code. Sorry.
    Did you try any of the config changes you mentioned the other day?

Don't worry about the hotel - just think of all the fresh air you are getting.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I should explain that I haven't just arrived here - I just couldn't post in TPD when I got here, so I wasn't sure what to do. There are some of those threads that AtW starts pretending to be TPD, but they're obviously just a way of filling the database with a waste of space.

The solution is obvious: post everything here in General, until TPD is ready for action again

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        It seems unfair that you are the last great hope but - you have the code. Sorry.
        Did you try any of the config changes you mentioned the other day?

Don't worry about the hotel - just think of all the fresh air you are getting.
        Hi Zip

I haven't had enough time to delve into things properly, and as far as I can determine I'll have to shell out for vBSEO as well, as that seems to override a lot of the functionality of vBulletin for its own purposes. Still, I have a strategy mapped out for determining the best way of getting CUK over it's crippling inability to cope with its primary purpose of hosting TPD

I'm not overly impressed by what I've read of the vB code so far; I know that 3.6.x had to be written for compatibility with PHP 4.x.x, but that doesn't excuse everything.

Still, if vBSEO can plug itself in, I may be able to produce a vBTPD plugin that will make things easy not just for now, but in the future.

Alternatively I'll have to buy CUK a decent DB server

Comment

Just posted in TPD II with no probs.

AtW knows what he's doing and he doesn't really hate TPD.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Just posted in TPD II with no probs.

AtW knows what he's doing and he doesn't really hate TPD.
            TPD II isn't TPD, in the same way that Babycham isn't Veuve Cliquot or whatever it's called - I can't stand champagne myself, so I don't remember the names.

Maybe a standard of comparison based around Aldi Corned beef as opposed to that Japanese steak that costs a fortune would be better?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Hi Zip

I haven't had enough time to delve into things properly, and as far as I can determine I'll have to shell out for vBSEO as well, as that seems to override a lot of the functionality of vBulletin for its own purposes. Still, I have a strategy mapped out for determining the best way of getting CUK over it's crippling inability to cope with its primary purpose of hosting TPD

I'm not overly impressed by what I've read of the vB code so far; I know that 3.6.x had to be written for compatibility with PHP 4.x.x, but that doesn't excuse everything.

Evening :wave

Still, if vBSEO can plug itself in, I may be able to produce a vBTPD plugin that will make things easy not just for now, but in the future.

Alternatively I'll have to buy CUK a decent DB server
              It won't be just to save TPD. I don't know how the site is set up and no idea what the vB code looks like but my nose says check the db code first (is it embedded in the vB code? <shudder>). That was my last job that was - except it was SQL Server.

+50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

It won't be just to save TPD. I don't know how the site is set up and no idea what the vB code looks like but my nose says check the db code first (is it embedded in the vB code? <shudder>). That was my last job that was - except it was SQL Server.

Oh, it's a shameful sight: SQL queries are constructed by string concatenation

I've also found indications that some of the fields used in such important matters as WHERE clauses don't have indexes set on them - and aren't even relevant to the query in a normal configuration

The magic number "10" is something that a certain field (not indexed) should not be equal to in around 99.99% of cases... Lord only knows what they're up to there

Anyway, I'd better be crashing out if I'm to be bright-eyed and lacking a tail at the conference tomorrow

Goodnight Zippy, and all other denizens, if any more there be

Comment

Oh dear. Oh dear.

I like Babycham and Veuve - it depends on who is paying

Night NF
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

would have been better to go with a proper d/base and platform instead of all this script kiddie stuff. hope you manage to get something sorted out nf.

Comment

Working...
                    X