• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What measures of taxation with the Tories bring in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What measures of taxation with the Tories bring in?

Increases in rate or scope or new taxes? Or all the above, you decide.
    VAT to 20% or above
    12.50%
    Income tax rises
    0.00%
    Road tax
    0.00%
    Corp Tax
    6.25%
    New green taxes
    18.75%
    Fuel price escalator
    0.00%
    tax on benefits
    6.25%
    All the above
    56.25%
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 November 2009, 11:15.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Did anyone see Gordo and Dave walking together to the Queens Speech? Gordo looked relaxed and was smiling without (seemingly) a care in the world. Dave looked extremely nervous - I think he's realised what's in store after the next election. Could be the election no-one tries to win...
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

They wil bring in just as many as Labour will if they get back in.

Comment

I think they'll introduce some sort of change to the council tax so that the tax is per person living in the house, rather than being based on the cost of the house.

Its only fair, after all more people = more drains on local resources
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          I think they'll introduce some sort of change to the council tax so that the tax is per person living in the house, rather than being based on the cost of the house.

Its only fair, after all more people = more drains on local resources
          Wasn't that the community charge, where housewives got bills for services for the first time. Not that the concept of housewife means much these days.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

They'll tax left-wing stupidity, raising a trillion pounds in the first week.

Watch out Baggy!

Comment

Not so sure. Whoever wins will need to make the same kind of improvement to our overall balance of payments. Labou r won't cut public spending nor borrowing so will have to raise taxes across the board. Tories are rather more likely to cut public spending and borrowing (cue manicscreams of "what about the nurses!!!" and "It's Thatcher reincarnate" from the less aware members of our society) and so would need to raise taxes rather less.

Both approaches will cause pain and problems, and we are stuck with Brown's legacy for many years to come. However, I prefer the Tory mantra of letting me decide what I spend my money on.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I expect some people think there will be tax cuts, now that is funny

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                I prefer the Tory mantra of letting me decide what I spend my money on.
                That's which indirect tax you spend your taxed money on
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 November 2009, 11:36.

Comment

Lots of nice, shiney new green taxes, sadly.

I think the public sector cuts will not be as deep as required. No bonfire of the quangos either.

I think pretty much the same business as normal, although I hope I'm proved wrong.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    I expect some people think there will be tax cuts, now that is funny
                    There will be - the only tax pledge that the tories have firmly made is to change inheritance tax for the rich.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X