PDA

View Full Version : India tells West to stop eating beef

Troll
20th November 2009, 18:05
linky (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/6615422/India-tells-West-to-stop-eating-beef.html)

India has urged the West to give up eating beef to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions responsible for global warming.

According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation, livestock is responsible for 18 per cent of the the Earth's greenhouse gas emissions.

The environment minister, Jairam Ramesh, said if the world abandoned beef consumption, emissions would be dramatically reduced and global warming would slow down. suppose the obvious reply would be to tell India to cull 50% of its population to save the planet

threaded
20th November 2009, 18:08
linky (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/6615422/India-tells-West-to-stop-eating-beef.html)
suppose the obvious reply would be to tell India to cull 50% of its population to save the planet

But they do already, by having them live in grinding poverty.

HTH

wobbegong
20th November 2009, 18:09
suppose the obvious reply would be to tell India to cull 50% of its population to save the planet

But they do already, by having them live in grinding poverty.

HTH

You see what's happened there, don't you threaded?

:eyes

Mich the Tester
20th November 2009, 18:30
suppose the obvious reply would be to tell India to cull 50% of its population to save the planet50% of India's population are cows; you see them roaming all over the place. On the streets, school playgrounds, department stores and so on.

EternalOptimist
20th November 2009, 18:33
50% of India's population are cows; you see them roaming all over the place. On the streets, school playgrounds, department stores and so on.

they are non-f@rting sacred cows.

holy carbon-neutral cows

:rolleyes:

Troll
20th November 2009, 18:41
50% of India's population are cows; you see them roaming all over the place. On the streets, school playgrounds, department stores and so on.What are they buying in the department stores?

Mich the Tester
20th November 2009, 18:43
What are they buying in the department stores?I donĀ“t know, but I saw one walk into a department store in Delhi and nobody tried to stop it. I think it's because cows are all seen as the reincarnation of some goddess.

Paddy
20th November 2009, 18:49
The Injuns could also help the environment by stop throwing half burnt bodies in the Ganges, stop shitting in the streets and cutting down on their population size.

Mich the Tester
20th November 2009, 18:53
The Injuns could also help the environment by stop throwing half burnt bodies in the Ganges, stop tulipting in the streets and cutting down on their population size.If they closed Infosys and Satyam their elecricity use would decline dramatically and we'd all be happy.

TimberWolf
20th November 2009, 19:05

England is more densely populated than India.

JoJoGabor
20th November 2009, 19:11

No its not...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_d ensity

Troll
20th November 2009, 19:14
No its not...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_d ensity
He specifically said England which now has 395 people per square kilometre compared to the Indian figure of 349 per square kilometre

sonu
20th November 2009, 22:56
Think this is all quite funny. India takes the pee out of the West after colonialism destroyed it for over 200 years.

RichardCranium
20th November 2009, 23:26
Think this is all quite funny. India takes the pee out of the West after colonialism destroyed it for over 200 years.How do you work that out? India was in a perpetual state of feudal civil war until the Raj. When the British left it immediately reverted to civil war.

sonu
20th November 2009, 23:33
Have to disagree. India was a powerful ecomic power spilt into different kingdoms.

Unless you're saying the British had nothing to do with the civil war they left behind?

conned tractor
20th November 2009, 23:41
mmm...i'd love a beef bhuna at the moment.

HairyArsedBloke
21st November 2009, 00:40
India (and China) could do wonders for the world economy if it stopped exporting wage deflation.

OwlHoot
21st November 2009, 08:31
50% of India's population are cows; you see them roaming all over the place. On the streets, school playgrounds, department stores and so on.

That's not a very nice thing to say about Indian women. Some of them are pretty good looking, and I'm sure most are quite friendly.

snaw
21st November 2009, 09:13
How do you work that out? India was in a perpetual state of feudal civil war until the Raj. When the British left it immediately reverted to civil war.

Rubbish, there was no state of India, there were different states, one of which, the biggets and wealthiest was ruled by the Mughals which was in the process of disintegration (To be replaced from an Iranian and a Bombay based one). We turned up at the right time to exploit it.

Secondly, pot, kettle, black. We were hardly averse to a bit of civil war ourselves, so to somehow assume we're culturally superior on this basis is a wee bit off.

gingerjedi
21st November 2009, 10:09
What are they buying in the department stores?

Moosic

Don't worry I have my coat on and I'm out the door.

RichardCranium
21st November 2009, 10:30
We were hardly averse to a bit of civil war ourselves, so to somehow assume we're culturally superior on this basis is a wee bit off.a) you are reading "culturally superiority" into what I posted when it is not what I said nor what I meant.

b) I don't think Britain can be described as in a state of perpetual civil war.

c) My point was that Britain's presence in India was stabilising and not 200 years of destruction.

EternalOptimist
21st November 2009, 11:33
The Indians want the west to desist. Not just the British.

They are talking about a way of life, not trying to get back at us for taxing their salt.

We must defend ourselves against this, we cant have other countries coming over here telling us how to live our lives

:rolleyes:

Naaarwich
21st November 2009, 11:44
We have to be careful when say 'Indians want the West to stop eating beef'. The problem is that the Indians will have to persuade their own people first.

Recently the Indian government tried to introduce a law preventing the sale of beef (because its a holy animal most Indians dont eat it) but there was uproar from the Southern states, especially Kerala and Tamil Nadu, because even Hindus there eat beef and also make a lot of money exporting beef to other countries.

Once you eat Chilli Beef there's no going back to vegetarianism.:happy

BTW, dont believe what you may have seen on QI - the cow IS a holy animal in India.

sonu
21st November 2009, 12:56
c) My point was that Britain's presence in India was stabilising and not 200 years of destruction.

That's a funny way of describing colonialism.

gingerjedi
21st November 2009, 13:05

If only the Scots, Welsh and Irish would return to their respective parts of the British Isles we'd have enough room.:wink

Cliphead
21st November 2009, 16:31
If only the Scots, Welsh and Irish would return to their respective parts of the British Isles we'd have enough room.:wink

Soon as the British Army stops using Scottish, Welsh and Irish soldiers.

Arun V
21st November 2009, 17:34
We have to be careful when say 'Indians want the West to stop eating beef'. The problem is that the Indians will have to persuade their own people first.

Recently the Indian government tried to introduce a law preventing the sale of beef (because its a holy animal most Indians dont eat it) but there was uproar from the Southern states, especially Kerala and Tamil Nadu, because even Hindus there eat beef and also make a lot of money exporting beef to other countries.

Once you eat Chilli Beef there's no going back to vegetarianism.:happy

BTW, dont believe what you may have seen on QI - the cow IS a holy animal in India.

OOOH...I like the sound of Chilli Beef.

snaw
21st November 2009, 17:53

Careful, they'll throw in broon as well and we'll be even more fcked.

gingerjedi
21st November 2009, 18:01

I'd agree if it were an English army but the clue is in he word 'British'.:rolleyes:

Cliphead
21st November 2009, 18:02
I'd agree if it were an English army but the clue is in he word 'British'.:rolleyes:

So Scottish, Welsh and Irish can live anywhere in Britain then :confused:

gingerjedi
21st November 2009, 18:04
So Scottish, Welsh and Irish can live anywhere in Britain then :confused:

Of course, England is the overcrowded bit.

Cliphead
21st November 2009, 18:08
Of course, England is the overcrowded bit.

Yeah, full of Scottish, Welsh and Irish, wait...

gingerjedi
21st November 2009, 18:30
Yeah, full of Scottish, Welsh and Irish, wait...

... Stop right there.:bluelight

It's one thing to have light hearted poke at Britain's indigenous population (even if they choose to live in England rather than their own bit:tongue) but you're not allowed to suggest England is creaking at the seems because of... foriegners.:eek:

Troll
21st November 2009, 18:47
That's a funny way of describing colonialism.I prefer "civilising the savages "

RichardCranium
21st November 2009, 21:28
That's a funny way of describing colonialism.:tired