• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions for rat repellent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for rat repellent

My basement flat adjoins some vaults under the pavement, and these have long been home to some rats. The rats don't seem the least bit interested in the poison I have tried putting out every now and then, presumably because rubbish bags are more inviting for them and less suspect.

Anyway, I recently heard one scrabbling about in the ceiling space above my bathroom. The little perisher must have got in there by squeezing through the hole where the mains water pipe comes in from the street into the building. So I'm in a bit of a quandary.

Obviously if Labour win the next election I need to preserve these rats, and possibly even breed them, to eat once the inevitable food riots start.

But, on a more optimistic note, assuming the Tories win, I'd naturally prefer to get rid of them. I don't want to kill them, as dead rats smell awful, but just chase them away to live or die somewhere else as they please.

So in summary I'm looking for a rat repellent, which for now can't include one that needs feeding and daily walks, and I guess that means a high-pitched noise gadget.

This needs to be inaudible to me or any other human, but to a rat sound like the last trumpet on Judgement Day.

Any ideas or recommendations?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

B&Q humane rat trap. Some fluffy feathers may work to attract them into the trap as they are needed to nest the young.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      ...as dead rats smell awful
      If rats think the same way, that my be the answer. Works for killer sharks anyway, allegedly.

Comment

Electronic rodent thingy seems to work.

I had problems with mice, I think they came from next door, I heard scratching - they went as soon as I turned it on.

Also had issues with a rat in the garden in another house, bought another one - worked like a treat.

Also ensure NO food about.

A bit like brown bears - I understand.

Comment

Working...
        X