• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you hire a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you hire a contractor?

Serious question here but if you were a manager (with an equity stake in your nusiness) and therefore a focus on cost would you really hire a contractor?

In finance contractors are roughly on 500 -550 a day

Thats about 130K a year.

A pretty senior developer could be getting 60K on a perm position.

Do you really want to hire a contractor for 2* perm who is likely to work strictly 9->5?

Then you might have to pay your permie a bonus.

And spend £10k a year contributing to his pension.

And spend £6k on employer's NI.

And pay for healthcare.

And pay for a company car.

And pay for training.

And pay him when he goes on holiday.

And pay him when he's off sick.

And pay him paternity when he has kids (or maternity when she has kids)

And pay for an HR department to deal with all the baggage that goes along with having permies.

And have to pay him lots of cash when you no longer need him and want to make him redundant.

Still rather hire a permie?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Yes. I won't be paying for their holidays, "sick" days, redundancy when I let them go after the project is finished, pension, gardening leave etc etc. Plus, a good contractor is worth 2-3 permies anyway in terms of knowledge and skill due to a wider work experience.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

People that hire contractors for more than a year tend not to have a cut of the comany equity which would be effected by the hire of a contractor.

I have hired contractors but it was a fixed jobs,, 2 months, 3 month thing.

Comment

Back when I was in a position to do it, I probably would have considered contractors to be an expensive luxury. But now I've seen the light.

My old boss from back then, who used to own and run a business with 50-odd employees said to me recently "I never want employees again", because of all the grief caused.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you intend to employ someone to sit on a chair for 12 hours, why pay more than minimum wage?
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
              Serious question here but if you were a manager (with an equity stake in your nusiness) and therefore a focus on cost would you really hire a contractor?

In finance contractors are roughly on 500 -550 a day

Thats about 130K a year.

A pretty senior developer could be getting 60K on a perm position.

Do you really want to hire a contractor for 2* perm who is likely to work strictly 9->5?
              You are joking, aren't you?

A senior developer might only get 60K, but you'll be paying NI, holidays, pensions and all the other perks and overheads that a permie expects - and that's a damn site more than 60k...

And a contractor working 9 - 5??? What about a contractor who delivers what they say they're going to deliver?

It's all about deliverables in Contractor Land matey, and I'm not sure if you've quite twigged that....
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'd hire a contractor (and have done) for my small business, because I haven't the first idea how to employ someone, and I am not able to know more than a couple of months in advance what work there will be.

No way I'm paying £500/day though. I couldn't cover it in what I charge my clients on current projects.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think Joey is gonna struggle to haul this line in with so many fish caught on it.

HTH

Comment

It's fun though.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X