• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unsure if and when to leave current permanent job and return to temping/contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsure if and when to leave current permanent job and return to temping/contracting?

Hi everyone

I’m going through a phase of thinking would I be better off/more satisfied if I quit my current permanent job and returned to temping/contracting.

For years and years I was temping/contracting while aiming to get this permanent career. During the 18 months I’ve been in this permanent job I’ve sometimes thought that I don’t like how I feel “less of my own boss” than I did when temping/contracting. And it especially winds me up when colleagues who have no more authority than me, think just being older/old-school entitles them to have authority.

When in my first proper contracting role a few years ago, when it was coming to an end I remember other contractors in their late 20’s /early 30’s saying no way could they stand returning to permanent employment instead of being self-employed.....Now I think I know why.

I still find my current job reasonably interesting and I think it stretches me to the right extent in terms of complexity and I’m having the best social life I’ve had to date.

But when it comes to work, I’m driven by money and during the last year I’ve turned down many contract opportunities to earn 3 x as much as I’m earning now and the contracts paying 3 x more would require nowhere near as much effort. The idea of making myself richer instead of a company richer inspires me. And I’m confident that the routes to finding friends that I learnt when relocating for this job would result in me building as good a social life back in my original city.

The things I’m most nervous about are:

I’d feel bad/embarrassed when leaving.

Before I got this job, many companies (correctly I suppose) started rejecting my applications for permanent jobs on the grounds that up to that point I had been temping/contracting and so didn’t think I would commit to them (even though I explained that the reason I was temping/contracting for so long was because I was holding out for the particular career that I was applying for and had lots of evidence of this). The company I’m with now we’re obviously persuaded by the evidence.

So if in 5 years time I wanted to return to permanent employment, maybe because by then I have a family so want more certainty, then would I stand no chance of getting a permanent job because of this business of commitment? By then I think I would be happy to accept dead end admin jobs for a stress free life, as opposed to being specific/highly ambitious, so maybe it would be easier to secure a permanent job than I found it to be offered my current job.

For those of you that have done temping/contracting for 5 – 10 years, is it a big problem having loads of different jobs on your CV, not in terms of space/pages (I’m sure there’s a way round that), but in terms of does it look really bad being through so many jobs?

Thanks for reading this long post and for any advice.

I’ve been in this permanent job I’ve sometimes thought that I don’t like how I feel “less of my own boss” than I did when temping/contracting. And it especially winds me up when colleagues who have no more authority than me, think just being older/old-school entitles them to have authority.
    Good start to being your own boss and running your own company in a cut throat industry/environment if you don't mind me saying.

You think you have more authority and power as a contractor? Get a bad contract and they will sweep the floor with you and treat you like dirt on their shoe! If you don't like colleagues looking down on you you are really going to come unstuck when contracting. Go have a read of Shanti's post for example. If your going to be driven by money you are going to have to put up and shut up from time to time. The market isn't boyant enough to be swapping to better ones as you see fit etc.

I’m driven by money
    I don't think that is reason enough to go contracting alone tbh. Look at all of us who have eaten our warchests up and are benched for long periods. Based on this maybe better wait till the market pics up?

I don't think having long contract time makes a difference to permie employment if your reasons are sound in the interview. If nothing else your breadth of experience could be put you above the next guy who has 5 years in same job etc.

The biggest problem you're going to have I would have though would have been getting a contract from being permie. Also getting anything at all as martket is tight. Are you prepared to travel the country if need be again?
    The fact you have been offered a few here and there isn't a very good yardstick I am afraid. Until your name is on that contract it doesn't count.

look really bad being through so many jobs?
    You are not getting it. They are not jobs. They are contracts. Different thing completely.

Am a big believer that there is only one person that can answer these questions and asking on public forums is dangerous. Some people will say don't do it been benched for 2 years, someone else will say it's bloody great in contract for 2 years and am loaded. These arn't opinions that are going to help you make a decision based on the facts of you individual circumstance.
    IMHO of course. If it does help then go for it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are not getting it. They are not jobs. They are contracts. Different thing completely.
      WHS.

Do a bit more research - temping and contracting are not the same.

Go away and find out why and how.

Then come back and ask again.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by MI0303 View Post
        I’m going through a phase of thinking would I be better off/more satisfied if I quit my current permanent job and returned to temping/contracting.
        Good - for many contracting is about the freedom and the flexibility, rather than any financial reward. In tough times, the difference between contract income and permie income might be negligible. In really tough times, you might have no work for such a long time, you end up with little or no savings left.

During the 18 months I’ve been in this permanent job I’ve sometimes thought that I don’t like how I feel “less of my own boss” than I did when temping/contracting.
        Again, this is good - if you want to be your own boss, then you need to be your own boss.

And it especially winds me up when colleagues who have no more authority than me, think just being older/old-school entitles them to have authority.
        Ah. If you are contracting, then you will either have no authority whatsoever (so everyone has more than you), or you will think you have authority (and should have it) but still be over-ridden by everyone else.

When in my first proper contracting role a few years ago, when it was coming to an end I remember other contractors in their late 20’s /early 30’s saying no way could they stand returning to permanent employment instead of being self-employed.....Now I think I know why.
        I said that too. They were telling you what you wanted to hear - if the right permie job comes along, I'll jump into it with pleasure.

But when it comes to work, I’m driven by money and during the last year I’ve turned down many contract opportunities to earn 3 x as much as I’m earning now and the contracts paying 3 x more would require nowhere near as much effort. The idea of making myself richer instead of a company richer inspires me. And I’m confident that the routes to finding friends that I learnt when relocating for this job would result in me building as good a social life back in my original city.
        Being purely driven by money leads to unhappiness and bitterness. You will still be envious of those around you who may be on more than you are. You will get more anxious and frustrated when clients don't offer a rate increase, or demand a rate cut. These things are not good for the soul.

Given the length of each contract, the amount of time that you may be out of work between gigs, etc. how much better off do you really think that you will be by being a contractor? For example, my daily rate typically means that I would be on 3 - 4 times my previous permie salary. That assumes that I work 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. That doesn't happen, though, does it. Even when I was in a regular contract, I still never worked more than 10 months because of contract hitches, breaks, lack of work, holidays, illness, etc.

The things I’m most nervous about are:

If you are going to be contracting, then you need to get over this now.

Before I got this job, many companies (correctly I suppose) started rejecting my applications for permanent jobs on the grounds that up to that point I had been temping/contracting and so didn’t think I would commit to them
        So if in 5 years time I wanted to return to permanent employment, maybe because by then I have a family so want more certainty, then would I stand no chance of getting a permanent job because of this business of commitment?
        Well, you don't know whether you would have any or no chance of getting a permie job. Some clients won't touch you, some will. It depends on the client, and (of course) how good you are. That said, a history of jumping from permie work certainly won't convince them that you are committed to the cause.

For those of you that have done temping/contracting for 5 – 10 years, is it a big problem having loads of different jobs on your CV, not in terms of space/pages (I’m sure there’s a way round that), but in terms of does it look really bad being through so many jobs?
        I have had three jobs in my life. The rest are clients - there is a big difference, and you need to get this straight in your mind before jumping again.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Other Side

The Grass is always greener, until you jump the fence!!!

Comment

Please don't now..Bench is already jam-packed..!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
              The Grass is always greener, until you jump the fence!!!

Then you find out that it's moss rather than grass over here.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far

A few thoughts about some of the replies:

Yes I know there's a massive difference between temping and contracting - most notably the pay and extra paperwork. I put them together though because they both offer this extra freedom/flexibility than perm doesn't (although yes contracting usually offers more autonomy than temp)

Today I've been e-mailed another contract opportunity which I think would last at least 12 months. But it's only offering a dissappointing £140/day (65% more than my perm salary). There's another agency bound to be recruiting for this soon so I'd hope they offer better.

Re: I’d feel bad/embarrassed when leaving.
                "a cut throat industry/environment if you don't mind me saying"
                Unlike perm, I like the way that if your throat gets slit or you've done something you feel bad or embarrassed about, you can easily move about for a fresh start.

Re: be your own boss
                In my last contract it was great there being none of this appraisal crap and being able to go home whenever you want if you've hit your target or stay and earn extra.

Re: "jobs vs contracts, jobs vs clients - there is a big difference"
                Are you saying that employers would recognise this difference and so if applying for a perm, they wouldn't rule you out straight away from being in so many different roles/contracts (whatever you want to call them) or wouldn't rule you out straightaway because of time spent on the bench?

Comment

Are you saying that employers would recognise this difference and so if applying for a perm, they wouldn't rule you out straight away from being in so many different roles/contracts (whatever you want to call them) or wouldn't rule you out straightaway because of time spent on the bench?
                  There are bigger things to worry about about, like getting another contract once the current one ends. You need to be thankful that you have so many clients, not worried.

You're looking at the the end of your contract career before you've even started it. If the above is a problem for you I'd suggest staying where you are.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes I know there's a massive difference between temping and contracting - most notably the pay and extra paperwork. I put them together though because they both offer this extra freedom/flexibility than perm doesn't (although yes contracting usually offers more autonomy than temp)
                    No!! You are still wrong. Most notable isn't the pay and extra paperwork at all. Further evidence your just not getting it. You are running a business as a contractor it is a completely different mindset, engagement rules the whole 9 yards. If you think as a permie/temp while in a contract you're going to get crucified on here and possible balls up your contract.

Again I would disagree to the freedom/flexibilty thing you have in your head. Yes to some extent you are right but the sweeping comments you are saying make me think your not really understanding it all. Question, where is the flexibility in contracting?? Discuss and we wills see if you can see the negative as well as the rosey positives.

Today I've been e-mailed another contract opportunity which I think would last at least 12 months. But it's only offering a dissappointing £140/day (65% more than my perm salary). There's another agency bound to be recruiting for this soon so I'd hope they offer better.
                    Wrong.. Why do you think another agent will offer better? They are only passing on a cost offered by the client which will be fixed. The only change maybe a slight percentage depending on what the agents cut is. Again, you are not thinking about this like a contractor.

Also have you been asked or has a role just appeared in your inbox as spam/mass mailing from agent. If so you will get 1000's of these and never get the job. Just getting a mail is so far away from you securing the role in the current market it is just not true.

Re: I’d feel bad/embarrassed when leaving.
                    "a cut throat industry/environment if you don't mind me saying"
                    Unlike perm, I like the way that if your throat gets slit or you've done something you feel bad or embarrassed about, you can easily move about for a fresh start.
                    OMG. I am going to cut and paste 'WRONG!!!' I might just stop tpying here. Stay away from contracting. You have your head in the clouds and are really not looking at the risk. There are 100's of us on the bench claiming benefits. Why do you think YOU can move around and get a fresh start? Contracting is a small world. Your past WILL catch up with you as well.

Re: be your own boss
                    In my last contract it was great there being none of this appraisal crap and being able to go home whenever you want if you've hit your target or stay and earn extra.
                    This is one small part of it I will give you that. SMALL being the opperative word.

If he is a small minded idiot that has BS'd his way in to a position of authority yes. If that's the case you might thank your lucky stars you didn't get that particular job Any manager or a reasonable level should be aware of the situation and make a reasoned judgment call.

Sorry to be harsh but all I see and as many have pointed out is a very one sided rose tinted spectacles argument and no realisation of the issues really facing the contractor/freelancer nowadays. Yes it has it's upsides but for the uninitiated the downsides can easily lead you to losing all your savings, house and the rest. A bit extreme maybe but forwarned is forearmed.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 24 November 2009, 10:14.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X