• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For Artists Only

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Artists Only

Creativity is sexually alluring, according to a study which shows that artists and poets have more sexual partners than ordinary mortals.

A survey of creative professionals found that on average they had about twice the number of sexual liaisons as non-artists, scientists said. The findings may help to explain why many artists, from Caravaggio to Picasso, and poets such as Lord Byron and Dylan Thomas, were notorious womanisers.

Fame and fortune do not appear to enter the equation as none of the professionals who took part in the study are household names, said David Nettle of the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. "We're not talking about celebrities. We used people from all walks of life and we got a range of people from those who didn't produce any art at all to those who did it professionally," Dr Nettle said.

The scientists asked 425 men and women about their sexual partners, including one-night stands. The study found the average number of partners for professional artists and poets to be between four and 10 compared with just three for non-creative people.

"Creative people are often considered to be attractive and get lots of attention as a result. They tend to be charismatic and produce art and poetry that grabs people's interests,"

Dr Nettle said. "It could also be that very creative types lead a Bohemian lifestyle and tend to act on more sexual impulses and opportunities, often purely for experience's sake, than the average person would. Moreover, it's common to find that this sexual behaviour is tolerated in creative people. Partners, even long-term ones, are less likely to expect loyalty and fidelity from them."

The study, published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B, supports a theory put forward by evolutionist Geoffrey Miller, in his 2001 book The Mating Mind, that artistic ability may have evolved as a form of human sexual display.

Miller believes artistic men are more likely to be promiscuous than women, yet Dr Nettle's study, conducted with Helen Keenoo of the Open University, found no differences.

Dr Nettle also suggests that the findings may help to explain a connection between schizophrenia, which affects about 1 per cent of people, and serious artists, who share many of the same personality traits as schizophrenics. "These personality traits can manifest themselves in negative ways, in that a person with them is likely to be prone to the shadows of full-blown mental illness such as depression and suicidal thoughts."

It is possible that the same genetic factors responsible for predisposing someone to creativity could also, under slightly different environmental conditions, lead to schizophrenia, Dr Nettle said. "If these genetic factors have been chosen by successive generations as attractive features in a potential mate, this could explain why schizophrenia is so common today," he said.

Hmmm. Not sure if my stories or cartoons count as art, but the rest rings a bell. Apart from the bit about lots of shagging unfortunately.

So I thought anyhow. 3??? 10??? Good grief. Do most people get as few different shags as all that???
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      Hmmm. Not sure if my stories or cartoons count as art, but the rest rings a bell. Apart from the bit about lots of shagging unfortunately.

So I thought anyhow. 3??? 10??? Good grief. Do most people get as few different shags as all that???
      Aye Xog

Speaking of which I do miss your literary contributions,when shall we see the old Xoggoth magic again ?

As for the frequency of sexual liasions I blame worksplace stress and poor office air conditioning.

Not to mention, on one hand unrealistic sales targets, and on the other petite contracting rates.

Hmm , on the bright side perhaps one has grounds for a sexual discrmination case ?

Comment

Dont post em on here anymore alf. Have you looked at www.xoggoth.org recently?
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          My then lady friend always found that most amusing.

Happily she didn't give me the clap, so I was happy too.
          Aye ZG

Happy Clappy today are we ?

Do you remember a guy that's been in such an early song?

I heard a rumor from ground control

Oh no don't say it's true,

They got a message from the action
          man

"I'm happy hope you're happy too"

I've loved all i've needed love,
          sordid details following

The shrieking of nothing is killing us
          visions of jap girls in
          synthesis

and i
          aint got no money

and i aint
          got no hair

and im hoping to kick
          but this planet
          is glowing

Ashes to ashes funk to funky,
          we know AJPs a junky strung

out on heavens
          high

leading an all time low

Time and again i tell myself
          ill stay clean tonight but these

little green
          wheels are following me

oh no not again
          im stuck with a valuable
          friend *Chico*

Im happy hope're you happy too one flash of light but no smoking
          pistol

i've never done good things
          i've never done bad things
          i never did anything out of the blue

My Mother says to get things done ...
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 30 November 2005, 15:07.

Comment

In sex is there actually an increased thrill involved in risk, whether pregnancy or catching something? Certainly the former I'd say for both sexes. Or is that just me again?
            bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              The scientists asked 425 men and women about their sexual partners, including one-night stands. The study found the average number of partners for professional artists and poets to be between four and 10 compared with just three for non-creative people.

in fact that deserves another one...

Comment

average over what time period ??

it must be a year ffs .

if its a lifetime then I'm THE ****** ARTIST
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                X