• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My son Joins up today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son Joins up today

My lad is eighteen and has been working as a builders mate for the last year or so. I went to see the band Yes with him last night and he broke the news to me. He is signing up for the army this morning.

I didnt have the heart to tell him that basic training in the winter months is a crippler, hey ho. I'll have to tell him to pack the tissues and the tampax. Tissues for stuffing into every gap in yer clothes for insulation, tampax for lighting a fire.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Blimey - good luck to him.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      My lad is eighteen and has been working as a builders mate for the last year or so. I went to see the band Yes with him last night and he broke the news to me. He is signing up for the army this morning.

I didnt have the heart to tell him that basic training in the winter months is a crippler, hey ho. I'll have to tell him to pack the tissues and the tampax. Tissues for stuffing into every gap in yer clothes for insulation, tampax for lighting a fire.

Why is he willing to risk his life for Brown ? just curious like
      If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
        He's willing to risk his life for his country.

Brown is an irritating and manipulative @rse, but signing up does not make you a Labour-supporter.
        Also there are better job prospects outside the army if you can stay out of the Infantry...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Maybe in 20 years he'll be amusng random people on t'internet about his times in the army, hitch hiking, stand-offs with bushes, asking the quack to put an extra stitch in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
            No. There is no risk(in his mind), lads at that age are indestructable, It'll never happen to me, etc.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Well my son hasn't signed up but he has got his call-up papers. In Germany there is still conscription where they have to do either 6 months in the army but they can opt for a civil task such as Red Cross or working in old peoples homes, etc. He's still undecided although personally I would like him to do 6 months in the Bundeswehr to build him up a bit as he is a bit of a wimp...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Blimey, well at least it will give him some direction and he'll pick up some skills along the way. Hope it all goes well.

p.s db looks good

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Well my son hasn't signed up but he has got his call-up papers. In Germany there is still conscription where they have to do either 6 months in the army but they can opt for a civil task such as Red Cross or working in old peoples homes, etc. He's still undecided although personally I would like him to do 6 months in the Bundeswehr to build him up a bit as he is a bit of a wimp...
                  What do you think about conscription ? is it the magic solution to keep the young lads in line and teach them some good values ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

I would be more worried about my son if I took him down to sign up and he broke the news to me that he was going to a Yes concert.

Comment

Working...
                    X