• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want to become a sparky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to become a sparky

Where do I start?

I'm quite bright but nearly 40, stupid idea?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Very good idea IMO.

Find a local college which does a course.

Comment

It's not rocket science. Quite a few courses before you get qualified to wire a house on your own though...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

sparky, n.

Obs.—1

[f. spark n.2 + -y.]
        A spark or gallant.
        1756 M. Calderwood in Coltness Collect. (Maitland Club) 196 Miss Collier the cousine is a well-looked little lassie, and severall little sparkies were in love with her.

Doesn't look that hard.

Comment

its not the 'leccy bits that are difficult, its all the continually changing Regulations you have to keep upto date and certified on.

Age should not matter, in fact I trust an older sparky than a younger one.

Good Luck.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Unfortunately not easy to do unless you are lucky & also willing to work for very little for a fair while.
            You can either do an expensive "fast track course" which will leave you with a qualification and no experience or do a traditional college course over a number of years whilst working for very little.
            The problem will be finding someone willing to give you a go so you can gain experience - Most would rather employ an 18 yr old for next to nothing who they can train up the way they want to.

2 years ago I paid a substantial amount of money for a 6 months plumbing course which gave me a city & guilds certificate with no experience.
            i worked on a house renovation afterwards for 8 months doing labouring & plumbing work for £80 a day and then went back to IT as was nigh on impossible to get employed by anyone & I was skint.
            Don't regret it & have used some of the skills since but I am not going to make my living out of plumbing.
            Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Comment

The best cure for 'I want to become an electrician/plumber' is to actually do a bit of rewiring or plumbing and you'll see the 'light' pretty quickly. A spell crawling around in fibreglass in a loft, or crawling around in dirt under a suspended floor should do the trick. Not a job for the over 40s !

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                The best cure for 'I want to become an electrician/plumber' is to actually do a bit of rewiring or plumbing and you'll see the 'light' pretty quickly. A spell crawling around in fibreglass in a loft, or crawling around in dirt under a suspended floor should do the trick. Not a job for the over 40s !
                I personally didn't mind that at all and would rather do that then sit in an office all day but each to their own.
                it was the sh1te money and no prospect of earning any better for a good while that did it in the end.
                There are also thousands of other people who have decided that they would rather do a trade than work in an office and unfortunately I think most end up going back to what they did previously (Although not all)
                It has, however, made me appreciate what money I do earn a lot more which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson View Post
                  labouring & plumbing work for £80 a day
                  How come plumbers down south charge £50 per hour then?
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    How come plumbers down south charge £50 per hour then?
                    Because they run their own business doing "emergency" work.

If you want regular income you need to do renovation/building work and that is hard to get without experience.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X