• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want to become a chippy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to become a chippy

Cod knows where to begin?

chippy, n.

chippy, n.

1. U.S. (Also chippy bird, sparrow.) = chipping-bird (chipping ppl. a. 2).
    1864 Webster, Chipping-bird+also chippy. 1898 S. Hale Lett. (1919) 338, I must tell you of our little chippy sparrows that had their nest in the trellis. 1900 Congress. Rec. 30 Apr. 4872/2 The ground chippy darted under the fences. 1913 G. S. Porter Laddie iii. 94 In the hollow of a rotten rail a little chippy bird always built a hair nest.

2. (Also chippie.) A young woman (usu. derogatory); a promiscuous or delinquent girl or young woman; a prostitute. Also attrib. slang (orig. U.S.).
    1886 in Amer. Speech (1950) XXV. 31/2 This class of females are known by the gang as ‘Chippies’, and most of them come from the slums. 1929 T. Wolfe Look Homeward (1930) xii. 254 Your place is getting the reputation of a regular chippyhouse. Ibid. xix. 279 She's no better than a regular little chippie. 1938 Times Lit. Suppl. 25 June 438/1 Opal and other ‘chippies’ at Moll's ‘sporting-house’. 1955 ‘W. Mole’ Hammersmith Maggot ii. 26 He was no timidly frenzied lover of some exorbitant chippy.

Both out of your reach I'm afraid

Comment

chippy is also slang for carpenter
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Alternatively, but not so toothsome,

http://www.workgateways.com/Trades+a...er~Chippy.Jobs
        thanks so I know where to advertise to get a chippy instead of paying £20 to £30 per hour out of yellow pages
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          chippy is also slang for carpenter
          Jesus was a carpenter.

Chico.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Cod knows where to begin?
            Here.
            (Apparently, the number of enquiries has shot up since the recession).

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Jesus was a carpenter.
              Well, he can't have been Karen so was he the one that played the piano?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
              X