• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

$$$$$$$$$$$$ing tax disks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$$$$$$$$$$$$ing tax disks

As a good citizen I was just about to buy new tax disk for my car, but as its the last day of the current disk (the guy (Chico's boss?) who made November with just 30 days should be shot) of course something bound to go wrong - I could not find $$$$$$$$$$$$ing certificate of insurance and Post Office won't accept anything else, ie big batch of insurance papers with relevant details of car, my name etc etc. $$$$$$$$$$$$tards

So, I need to wait a few days for new certificate while keeping my car off the road - there is no bloody flexibility or lee-way to buy 1-2 weeks past current disk without any conditions, I'd gladly pay twice the rate, just why won't they think about customers??!?!?!

Now practical aspect - I need to keep my car off the public road, and of course my rented house is perfect in all respects apart from driveway - any practical ideas? Perhaps drop car into free park and ride area? ?

Alexei

You have of course filled in the Sorn form, haven't you, as your car is off the road, until you can tax it.
    Why not?

Comment

Actually you can get away with it for up to a month after your tax expires as the new one you get will be dated from the first of the month anyway. Effectivly you are retrospectivly taxing your car for the month. Worst you will get is a warning. After the month is up you're fair game.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Of course Dundee I am acting like a good British citizen should - I should have had more confidence in myself though, I found the damned insurance certificate and tried to get in time for big postoffice nearby that closes later than normally - 7pm, but of course that big store had to be closed for maintenance so I took my car off public road and will tax it tomorrow.

The guy from DVLA said you have 2 weeks to declare SORN or get fined, but so long as car off public road its fine and you can tax it within 2 weeks.

What pisses me off is this: they say you need to take car off public road, but its not that easy you know, they should have allowed temporary 2 weeks tax at double price that can be obtained without documents so long as you have got expired proper disk. This is easy solution without criminalising people - of course they keep cars on public road in front of the house all this time, at best they won't drive it!

Shame about not finding certificate on time - but I have good excuse: since I made smart decision to rent rather than buy it means that my house is so huge that I am amazed I don't get lost in it

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          I'd gladly pay twice the rate, just why won't they think about customers??!?!?!
          Oh dear, are you suffering from the illusion that they work for us?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Oh dear, are you suffering from the illusion that they work for us?
            And who are they working for then?

Comment

You could try doing the tax disc renewal online.

The system checks against an insurance database so hence you get round the need to produce a certificate.

If your car is more than three years old then you will need to produce an MOT certificate.

Comment

woah, good point - they should have bloody specified on tax disk whether insurance or MOT is required by querying relevant database and if they see that at the time of disk purchase insurance or MOT won't expire then no need to present them.

Of course this would require to have brains not to use Assenture to implement the system!

Comment

Alexi,

you can tax it on line. Buggerred if I know how it validate the docs though.

Edit: the spare R is cos I'm from zumerrzet

Comment

Do I get to print the tax disk online and stick into car?

I just double checked V11 form - nothing explicit about being able to do it online -- have any of you done that?

Comment

Working...
                    X