• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overpaid corporation tax after the company was wound up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpaid corporation tax after the company was wound up

Hi Guys/Gals,

I hope you can help me. I was told that I had overpaid corporation tax by £600. When I spoke to them(the tax office) at first they said that the money would be refunded. I just spoke to them on the phone and now they are saying that since the company has wound up all assets belong to the Crown and I can't get the money back. Do you know if this is true? Is there anything that I can do?

Worried and seriously out of pocket Gal.

£600? Just consider it a rounding error.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Think of it as a tip to Gordon for his excellent service.

Comment

Guys please!! You are killing me!! Can I have some helpful comments please?

Comment

Originally posted by CityGal View Post
          Why don't you ask them which bit of the tax code they are using to make that judgement, then look it up to see if you can contest it.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Court of Human Rights, get a lawyer!

Or threaten to contact the dailymail.

It's only fair, tax doesn't have to be taxing etc

Comment

CityGal - try posting in the Accounting/Legal forum.
              General is for discussion about house prices, immigration, football and all round ill-informed opinion (yes, I am guilty).
              Good luck with getting your money back!
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Okay, helpful comment.

Can you ask HMR&C to make the cheque payable to your company accountant and then ask them to cash it and pay it to you / reduce your accountancy bill?

Otherwise, unless you want to re-open that ltd again, it's a lost cause.

£600 not really worth bothering with really is it?

Comment

Hi Guys/Gals,

I hope you can help me. I was told that I had overpaid corporation tax by £600. When I spoke to them(the tax office) at first they said that the money would be refunded. I just spoke to them on the phone and now they are saying that since the company has wound up all assets belong to the Crown and I can't get the money back. Do you know if this is true? Is there anything that I can do?
                  Worried and seriously out of pocket Gal.
                  I knew these were the rules but I've never seen HMRC go through with it.

Get your Accountant on the case!!
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Out of interest, how did you end up overpaying by £600?

If your accountant did the figures then surely it is his fault.

Hence, he owes you £600!

Comment

Working...
                    X