• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector: never again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Sector: never again

Although public sector contracts are pretty much a ticket to the bank, I somehow don't think I will ever do one again. Last Monday I finished my latest one and they faxed the timesheet through stating that 3 days were to be deducted, no reason given! After discussing this with the consultancy onsite, who also had no idea why, we eventually managed to get it down to only 1.5 days. I have my suspicions as the whole contract was very badly run and they're trying to put the blame on me, shame because I just threw it back at them and have basically been proven correct. I'll just have to bit the bullet and lose 12 hours of money.

I've now worked on 3 public sector contracts and it really doesn't surprise me that they go over budget and quite often tits-up. On this one they refused any project management help apart from one project which actually ran quite smoothly and although I'm not a fan of PM, this was an area that really needed it.

Now to decide which contract to take next. I have a number of options but its very difficult which one to go for but thats life
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Did you opt out?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Did you opt out?
      Out of what?

(I is in Germany, no IR35)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I love public sector contracts - plenty of money, little work. You can blame the complete lack of progress on bureaucracy...

kerching.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've done 2 PS stints. The last one I had to quit as I was getting so stressed out with a lack of stimulation. I was sat at my desk every day bored getting heart palpatations.

Comment

Why did you have to negotiate how much time they were stealing from you? Why was your response not "I shall instigate legal proceedings unless it is made clear all due fees are payable"?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The crappy nature of public sector projects may have something to do with the fact that, if memory serves, they always insist on having a project manager who has worked in the public sector before.

I've always read that as "we want someone who has experience of screwing up public sector projects before and absolutely don't want anyone new who actually knows what they are doing, lest they show everyone else up for being incompetent idiots".

Same with the NHS.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Although public sector contracts are pretty much a ticket to the bank, I somehow don't think I will ever do one again. Last Monday I finished my latest one and they faxed the timesheet through stating that 3 days were to be deducted, no reason given! After discussing this with the consultancy onsite, who also had no idea why, we eventually managed to get it down to only 1.5 days. I have my suspicions as the whole contract was very badly run and they're trying to put the blame on me, shame because I just threw it back at them and have basically been proven correct. I'll just have to bit the bullet and lose 12 hours of money.

I've now worked on 3 public sector contracts and it really doesn't surprise me that they go over budget and quite often tits-up. On this one they refused any project management help apart from one project which actually ran quite smoothly and although I'm not a fan of PM, this was an area that really needed it.

Now to decide which contract to take next. I have a number of options but its very difficult which one to go for but thats life
                Is it the missing money thing at the end, or was a mix of all the badly run stuff too?

I'd say contracts in the Public Sector are a lot less likely to stiff you than, say for example, a small private business.

As others have said however, legal action etc

Comment

Too much hassle to follow it up. First I was contracted to a small software house who contracted me out to a large global consultancy. All paperwork/contact/etc has been via the large consultancy and the minnow hasn't been involved. This means I would first have to deal with the small company who would then, on my behalf have to deal with global corporation and they then with the government. If it had to come to legal then I could face some problems due to documentation I had to sign for the government in order to work there which is another reason I don't want to do public sector work again due to too many restrictions.

As it is I am on good terms with both of the contracting companies and still do work for them which I don't want to jeopardise.

As far as we can tell they didn't need me there for that period of time but it would have been nice of them to tell me. As it is the contract was coming to end anyway, just another 4 weeks or so, and I wanted to get out as it was. I only really took the contract to learn new skills as I didn't have them before and I've now got those skills so probably a plus for me in a way.

Comment

Working...
                  X