• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Singapore job dilema

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singapore job dilema

Not actually expecting anything other than a flaming, but sometime you cuk slackers surprise me.

Got a job offer, very good firm (Up and coming technology company, who all the big boys want to buy because their technology is very much in demand), good salary (Contract there is like temp here, crap money and low prestige), give me share optins and all sorts and everything looks rosy.

Except they do local conditions on holidays, which are basically 15 days off a year.

I'm truly torn, I want the job, but I don't know if I can handle 15 days off a year. Esp given my missus is on 25 days off ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Not actually expecting anything other than a flaming, but sometime you cuk slackers surprise me.

Got a job offer, very good firm (Up and coming technology company, who all the big boys want to buy because their technology is very much in demand), good salary (Contract there is like temp here, crap money and low prestige), give me share optins and all sorts and everything looks rosy.

Except they do local conditions on holidays, which are basically 15 days off a year.

I'm truly torn, I want the job, but I don't know if I can handle 15 days off a year. Esp given my missus is on 25 days off ...
    Negotiate...

Comment

Can you buy more holidays? Some firms allow that.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Negotiate...
        Tried, everyone there whether ex pat or local is on same deal, so they can't make an exception for me. I've told them it's a showstopper for me. so they know I'm serious.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I did a contract out there and the local conditions are tough.

On the bright side, as well as the 15 days, they might let you have the odd saturday or sunday off

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Tried, everyone there whether ex pat or local is on same deal, so they can't make an exception for me. I've told them it's a showstopper for me. so they know I'm serious.
            Give it a try, see if the rewards are worth the effort. If not, you tried.

Comment

You're walking into a new job in a new country so take it!

Get the lay of the land.

Leave if you get a better offer elsewhere.

Edit: Do they have a lot of public holidays there? Might 'boost' your total.

Comment

I contracted their last year for around half a year, absolutely loved it, would love to go back, lots of expats out there, lifestyle is good, food is delicious and it's normal to goto Bali for a weekend, the only downside (if you can class it as a downside) is there's 2 seasons very hot/dry and very hot/wet
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Should be glad you get 15 days. This is the far east, you know, work 14 hours a day, 3 days off a year.

Don't expect to see daylight, once you start work.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Dont drink the water without boiling it twice first. When I was there, ten years ago, I had a bath in the(swanky) hotel and the water looked a bit off-colour. There are these tiny parasitic fish that live in the storage tanks and they swam down the end of your pen 1s. They have tiny barbs so they can not be expelled and it's agony every time you go to the toilet.
                    I had to have the full umbrella treatment once a week, just to keep myself clear.

A friend ate one of those little white chicken sausages and contracted liver flukes. He is still completely yellow, and his hands shake and he looks about eighty years old. Shocking.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X