• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HouseKeeper/maid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HouseKeeper/maid

does anyone here have a full time one?

or a nanny/governess to look after the children?

...having one is a status symbol in SEAsia, LATAM and a good part of the US - but here a conservatory or car or bigger house or big vacation or expensive divorce scores more points.

Personally, no. But CUK has MaryPoppins.
    (gawd bless 'er)
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Personally, no. But CUK has MaryPoppins.
      (gawd bless 'er)
      Sure does, and I am going to have a nanny, does that make me posh?
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I have an ironing lady - does that count?

When w move next year we shall consider a cleaner.

I just have better things to do with my time
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

We are thinking of getting a part time one, 10 hours a week or so. Always had a cleaner but would like someone to do the laundry and other such stuff I am too shattered to do in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            We are thinking of getting a part time one, 10 hours a week or so. Always had a cleaner but would like someone to do the laundry and other such stuff I am too shattered to do in the evening.
            You see where it's going wrong?

Comment

For a full-time nanny, bear in mind that when they quote their salary expectations, e.g. £18000 (I don't know what they actually charge!), they are talking NET, so you need to add on their NI and PAYE as well as your employers NI too.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                For a full-time nanny, bear in mind that when they quote their salary expectations, e.g. £18000 (I don't know what they actually charge!), they are talking NET, so you need to add on their NI and PAYE as well as your employers NI too.
                Sounds about right.

Makes financial sense if you have four young kids, but otherwise, factor in all their taxes, holiday pay, sick pay, NI etc and it's a costly luxury.

Comment

Would not consider one, I am perfectly capable of doing my own tiding and washing etc. But then I do live in the North where posh is, getting out of the bath to pee.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Bobs wife will do it for a fiver!

Comment

Working...
                    X